Sicily to Brenner Pass (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room

Yorkiesand235 -> Sicily to Brenner Pass (2/12/2009 8:12:50 PM)

A newish player to the game

I have completed the rout of the axis forces in Sicily.

Its the 6th August, I have an equivalent of

1 US Armd Div
3 US Inf Div
1 Abn Div
2 Brit Inf Div
and eqiv to a Brit Armd Div

In Sicily

8 Divs overall I am pondering my next steps. Should I await reinforcements before attacking mainland Italy - a month away.

If I attack should I risk all and land at Anzio or land at Salerno?

or Should I start at the toe
8th army at Taranto
American forces at Pizzo and Catanzarro.

or other options Corsica and Sardina.

I can send a .sal file if you pm me too big to upload on here.

51st Highland Div -> RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass (2/12/2009 9:31:50 PM)

Personally speaking im in favour of starting at the toe of Italy and working my way up,aided by amphibious landings further up the coast where tactical conditions suit.IIRC the Axis player still keeps a substantial amount of forces close to Rome/Naples/Foggia where i landed at the toe of Italy,taking some time to start moving units south as Allied forces approached..[&:]

ablaze6783 -> RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass (1/24/2010 12:34:37 AM)

Well by the time of your post I guess you have finished the game, anyway I started at the boot and landed at ANZIO later on, there is massive troops movements to organize, yes keeping troops organized is the key, rebuilding railway is important, but sea transport is also very important and distances are great. For info I took Brenner pass on turn 150, you must go fast to take vital objectives, I use a division to fight foward behind it another to occupy gained territory, a third moving to fight with remants ennemy units; I would say there is 80% movements for 20% combat, each turns you must move almost all your units to keep pace, including air units.

I have used airborne units in the middle of Italy (hilly,narrow pass) to secure lines of communications, they stay there and free a division.I carefully check for bridge repair, keep HQ units with their combat elements at all time.

I have liberated half of Corsica and Sardaigne but I must confess I let it sink, Italy is MASSIVE to handle alone, plus reinforcements coming from Sicily all the way all the game!

Cheers.

desert -> RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass (1/24/2010 1:00:20 AM)

If he played the AI, then he probably destroyed every single one of their units in Sicily. Consequently, he could really have gotten all the way to the Alps before any meaningful reinforcements arrived.

Andriko -> RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass (1/24/2010 6:28:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: desert

If he played the AI, then he probably destroyed every single one of their units in Sicily. Consequently, he could really have gotten all the way to the Alps before any meaningful reinforcements arrived.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I cleared out Sicily in 20 turns I think. Stopped after that.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI