Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Tech Support

Zer0_2121 -> Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (2/27/2009 10:57:00 PM)

Hey guys,

I have noticed that during the detailed battles (especially naval battles) the game is very sluggish and unresponsive to keyboard commands. At times I will have to hit the spacebar 4-5 times before it will register ingame. Also I noticed that attempting to scroll the map also causes quite a delay with the CPU holding consistently at 100%. Could it be a possible driver issue??

dxdiag file attached, let me know if you need anything else!

Erik Rutins -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (2/27/2009 11:51:58 PM)

Thanks for posting the DxDiag. I don't see a blatant driver problem, which is not to say that switching drivers might not help, but it wouldn't be my first step. I would actually start by making sure the settings on your current drivers are reset to their defaults, then try to shut down any and all extra background processes and applications, including anti-virus/security software to see if one of those may be interfering.

Is the game sluggish at any other time than in Detailed Combat?

cdbeck -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (2/28/2009 1:15:27 AM)

I'm getting the same thing Erik. The scroll speed on the strategic map is fine, the turn resolution is quite fast, but the detailed battles suddenly drop in framerate and become very sluggish, as above. The naval battle are noticeably worse.

cdbeck -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (2/28/2009 1:28:00 AM)

Ok Erik, I seem to have fixed the problem. I disabled both McAfee Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware and the slowdown stopped. I went back, re-enabled McAfee and the slowdown was still not present. I have a good hunch that it is Ad-Aware causing the problem, through process of elimination.

SoM

Zer0_2121 -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (2/28/2009 2:16:08 AM)

Hi Erik....Looks like SoM's discovery worked for me as well.  I disabled my Nod32 active anti-virus and anti-spyware feature and the sluggishness seemed to disappear.

Thanks guys!

Erik Rutins -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (2/28/2009 3:15:03 AM)

Glad to hear it!

KW -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (3/8/2009 1:02:47 AM)

I hate to bring this thread back since it was seemingly resolved, but I've been having this problem as well. Naval battles are especially slow to the point of being unplayable. I've tried the suggestions here of disabling my anti-virus and went so far as to uninstall Ad-aware completely, but neither seems to help. No other programs are running when I'm playing.

I'm running in to this problem on both my desktop and laptop. I've attached the Dxdiag from my desktop. The Dxdiag from my laptop is in the "VC++ Error starting battle" thread here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2052806.

ericbabe -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (3/8/2009 11:23:29 PM)

We believe we may have found a fix for this, and I am currently working on a solution based on an hypothesis that something in detailed battles is triggering a call to the economic calculations, and that these calculations run slowly on certain machines.  Are you experiencing these delays when playing with the "simple economy" mode?

KW -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (3/8/2009 11:35:34 PM)

Yes, I'm getting the slowness during the detailed battles in both Advanced and Simple economy modes.

On a related note, I get the same slowness others have mentioned at the strategic level while in Advanced economy mode. Once switching to Simple though, the slowness at the strategic level is gone. But for the detailed battles, it's slow in either mode.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (3/9/2009 3:28:16 PM)

KW,

We have three different reports like this.

1. Lag in detailed battles, solved by turning off anti-virus/security software that's interfering.
2. Lag in detailed battles, solved by running in simple economy.

Since yours doesn't fit those, it may be a different issue. I noticed that your sound drivers are quite old (2006) and that could be a possible cause, as detailed battles to use the sound card more than normal strategic map play. Can you please try uninstalling your current sound drivers and then installing the latest updated ones to see if that helps?

Regards,

- Erik

KW -> RE: Detail Battles Very Slow/Unresponsive (3/9/2009 10:38:25 PM)

No such luck. Updated my sound drivers, but no change in the slowness.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI