Love your games.... but... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Mods and Scenarios

Texashawk -> Love your games.... but... (3/10/2009 10:35:24 PM)

..for some reason, I utterly hate the main font used in your family of games. I know it's a small cosmetic thing, but I just despise it!! Is there any way to change the fonts in the game in a mod or from our end?

Mr. Z -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 12:08:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

..for some reason, I utterly hate the main font used in your family of games. I know it's a small cosmetic thing, but I just despise it!! Is there any way to change the fonts in the game in a mod or from our end?

There has been some discussion about the font among the designers. Some say that serif fonts have been demonstrated to be subconsciously easier to read and comprehend than other fonts. Others say that perception is everything, and it's just a fact that people tend to prefer sans-serif fonts in most electronic media, whether they're actually easier to read or not.

Players' thoughts would be welcome.

mbatch729 -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 3:38:05 AM)

I'm a sans-serif fan. To me that are the easiest font family to read on a monitor. But that's just my opinion...

DasTactic -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 4:38:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Z

...Some say that serif fonts have been demonstrated to be subconsciously easier to read and comprehend than other fonts...

I'm a designer by profession and the serif vs sans-serif legibility argument is marginally true of 'printed' rendition of type, but not of projected or pixelated rendering. Essentially serif fonts are only clear in a screen environment if they are anti-aliased, otherwise sans serif is much much safer to render and much more legible. Besides, the original research done on type legibility was from decades ago (1960's I think from a newspaper study) - well before computers were commonly used. And in that research Times New Roman (serif) scored something like 98% while Helvetica (sans serif), the next most legible font scored something like 97%. [:D]

Texashawk -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 4:56:13 AM)

Oh, I don't think it's not readable, per se, it's just not pleasing to my eye. I think it's just so... non-modern looking. Maybe that was a design decision made based on the look but it's just jarring to me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE FOF and I will probably pick up COG:EE... just that FONT!!! AAaugh!

Steely Glint -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 4:58:15 AM)

I think they should switch to Century Schoolbook.

Lord_Stanley -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 5:44:42 AM)

I have to add my support for a change to a sans-serif font.

Took the liberty to make a mock up from a forum screenshot.
6 lines of text are Tahoma, a sans-serif font. Can you see the difference?
The background has been darkened some also.

Again, this is about 10 minutes of work with no real attempt to find the best font or settings.

[image]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3346203908_8ede7bca33_o.png[/image]

Mus -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 7:06:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

Oh, I don't think it's not readable, per se, it's just not pleasing to my eye. I think it's just so... non-modern looking.

I thought that was for immersive effect.

I dont see the big deal.

Krasny -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 11:35:54 AM)

I too think the current font is rather ugly and difficult to read.

Maybe switch to..... (damn I have forgotten the font type, all caps but the first letter of a word is larger)

Hard Sarge -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 12:00:44 PM)

maybe we should just put in the Font that the Nations of the time used, so each Nation would have there own Font/Style

Franck -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 1:18:04 PM)

I for one like the current font... 

Kung Karl -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 5:59:41 PM)

I agree, change the font ASAP!

Could you please do this for Forge of Freedom to?

ericbabe -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 7:09:37 PM)

I can provide an alternate font file that you'all can swap for the default font.  Really though, the default font is just Times New Roman, it's not as though we're using something bizarre (and TNR was invented in 1932, IIRC, so it's not as though we picked some super obscure Gothic font).

ericbabe -> COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/11/2009 7:22:57 PM)

Hey, I like it with Tahoma. It looks good. (I don't seem to have Century Schoolbook installed on the Win2K machine which is currently the COG:EE compile-machine, so I couldn't test that easily.) Maybe we'll switch to this as the new standard.

[image]local://upfiles/15842/DDFDFB2349EE4BA0BDA9256CA7E3944C.jpg[/image]

IronWarrior -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/11/2009 7:29:42 PM)

English111 Vivace BT would be a nice touch... although too hard to read. [:D]

Anthropoid -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/11/2009 7:53:28 PM)

If you could provide the file for Tahoma fonts, and a quick 'how to' for making it use that one instead of Times, I for one would DEFINITELY plug in the Tahoma instead of the Times New Roman.

TNR is fine for print media, but there is actually quite a bit of good (and recent) research on screen-based text that indicate that sans-serifs like Verdana or Tahoma are much easier to perceive.

I can agree that TNR has a bit more of a "period" feel to it, bu for me, I'd prefer to be reading Tahoma.

EagleMountainDK -> RE: Love your games.... but... (3/11/2009 8:03:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Stanley

I have to add my support for a change to a sans-serif font.

Took the liberty to make a mock up from a forum screenshot.
6 lines of text are Tahoma, a sans-serif font. Can you see the difference?
The background has been darkened some also.

Again, this is about 10 minutes of work with no real attempt to find the best font or settings.

[image]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3346203908_8ede7bca33_o.png[/image]

Ok I like this font test, a lot easier to read for me.

ericbabe -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/11/2009 8:37:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
If you could provide the file for Tahoma fonts, and a quick 'how to' for making it use that one instead of Times, I for one would DEFINITELY plug in the Tahoma instead of the Times New Roman.

It's a very small file, and it's as easy as kiss-my-hand (a little Jack Aubrey phrase there) to swap out the font files, but I can't figure out how to upload it to the Matrix forums, as it only seems to accept .jpg's as uploads.

I'd put them in the downloads area of our website, but that isn't finished being put together yet. I'll ask Gil whether we have praeternatural powers as moderators to post .zip files somewhere in the Matrix forums.

Mr. Z -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/11/2009 8:53:52 PM)

I'm pretty sure we do! Don't we? Just...zip it up and attach it.

mbatch729 -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 1:50:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

(a little Jack Aubrey phrase there)

Just finished the series. Excellent read, highly recommended, and WAY off topic.

DasTactic -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 4:30:11 AM)

Tahoma does it for me too. [:)]

If you need a place to distribute zip files you could try one of the file sharing sites such as RapidShare and just post the link in the forum.

Erik Rutins -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 4:37:39 AM)

Eric,

E-mail it to me and I'll post it up.

Texashawk -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 5:33:25 AM)

Eric,

Thank you so much. That Tahoma font looks wonderful. How utterly awesome that somebody posts a request for a fundamental visual issue of the game that is more or less a personal preference, and a day later you are planning to issue a mod for it. That, folks, is service, and that is freakin' awesome. WCS has a customer for life now.

I know this may be asking a bit much (maybe not since the engine is similar) but could a similar fix be created for FOF?? [&o]

Thanks so much!!!!!

Steve

Maulet -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 10:31:16 AM)

how can I change the font???
Is it easy?

ericbabe -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 4:33:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbatch729
Just finished the series. Excellent read, highly recommended, and WAY off topic.

I commend your fine taste in literature. I'm just starting "The Hundred Days," and I've deliberately slowed my pace of reading to just a few pages a day -- trying to make it last. [:)]

Johnus -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 4:46:18 PM)

ericbabe:

Don't slow your reading pace. Just finish the series and start over again.

I am reading the series for the second time. I do admit that slowing down somewhat allows one to savor the subtle humor and dialogue. Patrick O'Brian could write.

Johnus -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 4:50:24 PM)

As to font, I think the existing is much more appropriate for the period.

Texashawk -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/12/2009 11:31:15 PM)

Question: Where will these font packs be located to download?

EagleMountainDK -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/13/2009 2:03:15 PM)

I will gladly host the file. It will be a direct link for download.... Just give me a ping [:)]

PDiFolco -> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style (3/13/2009 9:33:39 PM)

Tahoma is less historical-moody, but much more legible, I buy it.
Where's the file ? WCS doesn't have even a tiny 10KB storage somewhere on the Web, or ability to rename a zip to .jpg and upload here [:D] ?? C'mon ...[:'(]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI