Prussians - any chance? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room

wolf4 -> Prussians - any chance? (3/11/2009 10:51:59 PM)

I haven't yet played "Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition". At the moment have just started reading up rules for the first "Crown of Glory" and have played about three games so far. I am trying to get the feel of the game. For the moment I do not know how to use properly all of the sliders and what impact they have on each province.

My question here is has anyone tried playing as the Prussians? I didn't want to play as the French because they are already powerful and it may be too predictable and boring that they are going to win.

I wanted to see if it was possible to play with the less powerful countries and see if one can still give a decent challenge to the French or still get a good game going by having alliances etc. So far the Prussians seem to get "hammered" either by the British, or by the French and Spanish alliance, or by the Austrians who get defeated by the French and then turn against the Prussians.

I am aware that I have no understanding of the game so naturally I'm going to get slaughtered no matter which country I play. That is why I want to know if someone who knows the game has played as the Prussians, out of curiosity?

I felt if I play as the French then it may not be much of a challenge since they are very strong. Does the game provide enough interesting playability that one can be another country than the all-powerful French? This is what I am after really.

I am trying out this game before deciding to get the latest "Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition" to see if it is enjoyable and is not too predictable. Any thoughts on the matter?

wolf4

PS I accidentally wrote this message in reply to someone's post. Sorry about that. So I had to copy this out again to have it placed here.

Joram -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/13/2009 9:50:35 AM)

After France because I just like kicking butt, I like Prussia the most.  To me it offers the most unique challenges for the 1805 scenario.  You never know which neighbor you are going to have to fight a war with and at times I have had to fight each one.  If France is after you, it sometimes pays to lose quickly.  Yes, you lose some territory but you preserve your forces which you can use to take territory from someone else.  So there's a lot of give and take with Prussia.  Mileage varies with the other scenario's as while it's opponents are generally weaker in the earlier scenario's, so is Prussia.  I haven't tried it too much in the 1812 scenario but as it starts off in an enforced peace with France, you can use that time to pick on Austria or Russia or just build up your forces.

Hard Sarge -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/13/2009 2:19:47 PM)

there are also a number of Campaigns you can play, and each is different, some start with alot of wars, others are a little peaceful

France with everyone at war with them at the same time, can be kind of ruff

also, beside the two Diff levels (strat/Combat) you can also handycap any/all of the Nations in play, if you are playing the Prussian and think they are too weak, give them a point or two of extra power

(my currect game, I gave Russia, England and the Ossites 1000 extra Glory points, and gave Prussia, Turky and Swede +1,+2,+3 in power)

plus the game is not all about combat, you got your diplos and treaties to work with also, they can make a major difference in a game

(again, current game, I got England to form an Alliance with France, it was fun having them bribe me every turn, just so I would like them , but it didn't last long)

wolf4 -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/13/2009 4:19:55 PM)

Thanks Joram for your info. I was trying out with Prussia with the original "Crown of Glory". France comes thundering along and makes Austria surrender. Then Austria invades me (Prussia) after having been defeated not long ago by France, and I get really "whacked" hard. Then France Spain alliance come and finish me off!

wolf4

wolf4 -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/13/2009 4:38:27 PM)

Thank you "Hard Sarge" for some of your advice. Good idea about adding extra power points, I forgot all about that.

You mentioned diplomats and treaties. I still have difficulties trying to get Austria or some of the other powers to accept some kind of Alliance with me (Prussia) at the early start of the game. I wanted Austria to have an Alliance with me so that it will not turn on me after having been defeated by France! Obviously I am trying to save time so that I can build up my forces.

I don't know how one gets to make Alliances with countries who reject ones initial proposal for any kind of Alliance. I know I have to give them something in return but I don't know what to give them in return! So I am trying to figure out how to do Alliances. As it stands I tend to give up on these so-called diplos (chuckle)!

Franck -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/13/2009 6:01:36 PM)

Respect neutrality of some important minor to them.
Refuse to make alliance with france
Embargo on France etc...

I have won my first game as Prussia :) (in the glory category and I was also the strongest nation at the end of the campaign.)
The trick is to try to stay out of war as long as possible and get cash from the english.

wolf4 -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/13/2009 8:45:08 PM)

Well done indeed Franck for having won with Prussia. That has at least shown me that it is possible to win with a minor country such as Prussia.

I don't know how you managed to stay out of war as long as possible. I find that difficult. France comes along and does battle with Austria, defeats Austria and then Austria turns on me (Prussia) and defeats me. So I haven't yet learn the trick yet.

I don't know which "Crown of Glory" you were playing, the original or the latest "Emperor's Edition" but glad to know you did succeed as Prussia and that it is possible. Well done.

wolf4

Franck -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/15/2009 11:41:20 PM)

I did succeed as Prussia but with EE.

That beieng said I never played normal CC but I believe country are now much more historical (and alliance against france.) So Austria won't comme tapping on your door all the time.

wolf4 -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (3/16/2009 1:09:29 AM)

Thanks for the feedback Franck. Well with EE we'll see who will come tapping on my door this time round.

I hope it isn't going to be too historical because otherwise it is too predictable and there isn't much room for personal creativity.

I wouldn't mind if Italy comes tapping on my door. I am based in Italy at the moment and I just came in now, tonight, to read your message. I was out in one of the large bars here in Italy. Some very attractive Italian women in the bar tonight - unbelievable. Sorry...I'm back down to earth now... will behave. Yes...so...Austria won't be knocking on my door...any chance for Italy? No? Okay,I just have to get over with tonight. I'll be in more sober spirits tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Franck.

wolf4

madgamer2 -> RE: Prussians - any chance? (4/28/2009 3:27:17 AM)

I have found that buying and playing an older version of the same basic game system (play CoG even though you have CoGEE) is of any real advantage. I would just start EE and be done with it. There is not all that much in common between the two except perhaps the same basic engine.
I tried FoF without the experience of CoG and it did not work for me as a system or a game but that is just me.I did play CoG twice after FoF and found the same things. Among the things are not liking tactical battle in a game that is supposed to be grand strategic but comes off more as a large operational game. In short playing CoG is not going to make it that much easier to play the EE game.

Madgamer

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI