Crashing During Start up (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Tech Support

theonlystd -> Crashing During Start up (3/12/2009 12:32:43 AM)

On a positive note this thing loads alot faster on this Pc than FoF ever did.. But when its about done load it crashes.

Says

crown of glory ii.exe app appver 1.0.0.1 modname graphics.dll modver 0.0.0. offset 0000c2e5

theonlystd -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/12/2009 1:52:41 AM)

updated Vid drivers to no effect 

theonlystd -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/12/2009 6:38:34 PM)

nothing?

I used the nvidia control panal to mess with various graphical settings for the game with no luck to

ericbabe -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/12/2009 8:36:55 PM)

Does FOF still run on your machine?  The crash in graphics.dll is probably during memory allocation for graphics during the loading sequence, but since COG:EE requires less graphics memory than FOF, I'm kind of surprised that there'd be a problem there.  (Also it should quit with an assertion error dialog instead of crashing with an error message when it runs out of memory.)

Have you tried shutting down anything else that might be using memory, or perhaps adjusting your page file settings?

theonlystd -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/14/2009 1:52:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Does FOF still run on your machine?  The crash in graphics.dll is probably during memory allocation for graphics during the loading sequence, but since COG:EE requires less graphics memory than FOF, I'm kind of surprised that there'd be a problem there.  (Also it should quit with an assertion error dialog instead of crashing with an error message when it runs out of memory.)

Have you tried shutting down anything else that might be using memory, or perhaps adjusting your page file settings?

Yea FoF loaded up fine

Messed with page file. To no avail

Anymore suggestions? Next couple days ill redownload the game on this PC and reinstall it threw the route ..

ericbabe -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/15/2009 9:35:44 PM)

This is very puzzling to me.

It might be possible that you have a bad block on your hard-drive in a location with a COG:EE graphic file.  You might try running Disk Defragmenter or a similar utility that will look for bad blocks.

It's also possible that something in the video file is causing a crash.  Does the load bar get all the way over to the right hand side before it crashes, or does it crash before the load bar finishes getting across the screen?

madgamer2 -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/16/2009 4:52:57 AM)

I had something similar happening with a friend when he ran a certain game.
1. If your using a LCD try running the game in a window using either the video card or the monitor timings.
2. try the same as above but run the game at the native resolution of the LCD in a window.
Make sure you have nothing else running like the manual on a file on the task bar.
i even had a friend that tried to run a game that did this from the safe screen, never did find out what happened.
For fun try installing it on a different computer either one of yours or a friends.

You did not give any system specs like how much TAM you have

Madgamer

theonlystd -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/16/2009 5:15:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I had something similar happening with a friend when he ran a certain game.
1. If your using a LCD try running the game in a window using either the video card or the monitor timings.
2. try the same as above but run the game at the native resolution of the LCD in a window.
Make sure you have nothing else running like the manual on a file on the task bar.
i even had a friend that tried to run a game that did this from the safe screen, never did find out what happened.
For fun try installing it on a different computer either one of yours or a friends.

You did not give any system specs like how much TAM you have

Madgamer

The computer its not working on isnt an LCD and i've messed with the resolutions and such extensively . It works just fine on another computer i use. I thought the dxiag file had that info.. But a nvidia 6600, 128 .. 512 ram, An older amd proccesor 2.2 ghz or so speed on it ...

quote:

This is very puzzling to me.

It might be possible that you have a bad block on your hard-drive in a location with a COG:EE graphic file. You might try running Disk Defragmenter or a similar utility that will look for bad blocks.

It's also possible that something in the video file is causing a crash. Does the load bar get all the way over to the right hand side before it crashes, or does it crash before the load bar finishes getting across the screen?

Will do.

The load bar seems to like 80% or so over the right before it looks like it hangs up then crashes ..

ericbabe -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/16/2009 11:49:19 PM)

Would you mind trying to take a screen snapshot showing the exact position of the progress bar at crash time?  The sound drivers are initialized between 75 and 80% progress.  Some other things happen in there too -- like the loading of data tables -- but sound initialization is the most potentially problematic thing in that range.  I don't think it's your sound because the error is reported in graphics.dll, and that shouldn't have anything to do with a sound problem.

If you try the above things and we can't get it working, would you mind if I sent you a version of the .exe file with the trace log enabled so that we can see exactly where the crash is occurring?

theonlystd -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/16/2009 11:51:46 PM)

quote:

Would you mind trying to take a screen snapshot showing the exact position of the progress bar at crash time?  The sound drivers are initialized between 75 and 80% progress.  Some other things happen in there too -- like the loading of data tables -- but sound initialization is the most potentially problematic thing in that range.  I don't think it's your sound because the error is reported in graphics.dll, and that shouldn't have anything to do with a sound problem.

If you try the above things and we can't get it working, would you mind if I sent you a version of the .exe file with the trace log enabled so that we can see exactly where the crash is occurring?

I will try tho

I dont have any sound on this PC.. So could that be causing an issue?

And yea sending exe with the trace thing would be fine ..

theonlystd -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/17/2009 12:08:11 AM)

Ok still have an issue with the game redownloaded and reinstalled .. And well print screen doesnt seem to take screenies for yea while Cog is loading up. So looking for a free screen shot program .. Also defragging

edit- cant get screenies even with a screen shot program while the game loads

ericbabe -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/17/2009 1:42:20 AM)

No sound?  As in, no sound card at all?

theonlystd -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/17/2009 2:02:52 AM)

quote:

No sound?  As in, no sound card at all?

Yes . The mb's sound never worked for some reason and well i never turned sound on anyways since in strategy game they just get really repetitive so never purchased one..

Erik Rutins -> RE: Crashing During Start up (3/17/2009 1:21:53 PM)

According to your DxDiag, you do not have a sound card of any kind installed. COG:EE requires a sound card to play, it's part of the minimum system requirements. This is likely to be the cause of the startup crash.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI