Best way to help open-topped vehicles? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Mods and Scenarios

TDeacon -> Best way to help open-topped vehicles? (3/13/2009 3:06:53 AM)

Looking for suggestions:

I may want to lessen the vulnerability of open-topped vehicles to mortars. They seem to be a bit more vulnerable than in real life, due to the fact that mortar response time in the game is much faster and much more coordinated (via "global consciousness") than in real life.

I don't think that this response/consciousness issue is easily changed, so I am looking for an equivalent "net effect" change. One idea I was considering is modifying the vehicle characteristics, so that open-topped vehicles have some degree of protection against mortar shells, intermediate between the current nothing, and that of a tank.

I notice that "Vehicles.txt" has columns for "top armor", and also for "turret crew cover top". I assume I would have to change both of these to get slightly greater survivability against mortars landing in the crew compartment? Any ideas as to how these 2 parameters function? What if I gave an M10 TD "top armor" of 2mm, and "turret crew cover top" of 200 out of 512? Would this be the cleanest way to effect this desired "net effect" change?

Pzt_Serk -> RE: Best way to help open-topped vehicles? (3/13/2009 6:38:35 PM)

I coudn't agree more. Currently, open-top vehicles are more of a waste of a team sloth than anything else. German Halftrack are immobilized way too quicly and become sitting ducks. Same apply with US tank destroyers. Damaged guns and crippled crew are the norm as soon as they are spotted... Another thing to consider is suppression. Even if the TD is not completly immoblized or damaged, the first few mortar rounds completly supress the crew which prevent taking a shot so the effect is basicly the same.

I can live with the fragility of infantry to mortar fire if they are in sufficient numbers to sustain the losses in the long run (as it appears to be), but open-top should be much less vulnerable, considering they are one of the only asset for US to stop german armors.

I don't know much about modding but i'd recommend taking the datas from CCV's GJS-TRSM mod for a plce too start. Mortars are also paired in two in this mod and are more of a suppression weapon than an actual killing machine...

This is just my two-cents from latest H2H gaming experience...

Cheers,

CSO_Talorgan -> RE: Best way to help open-topped vehicles? (3/15/2009 12:04:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TDeacon

"global consciousness"

The Borg mind?!

:)

quote:

I don't think that this response/consciousness issue is easily changed, so I am looking for an equivalent "net effect" change. One idea I was considering is modifying the vehicle characteristics, so that open-topped vehicles have some degree of protection against mortar shells, intermediate between the current nothing, and that of a tank... Would this be the cleanest way to effect this desired "net effect" change?

Why not increase mortars' time to fire, or reduce their accuracy?

Senior Drill -> RE: Best way to help open-topped vehicles? (3/15/2009 7:20:53 PM)

TDeacon, modding the armor of opentop vehicles to increase surviability against mortars is the wrong approach. You will get unintended consequences by doing so. Sure, they will resist mortars better, but they would then become impervious to molotovs or grenades. You need to adjust the weapon, not the target.

You should try adjusting the Weapons.txt values for Reload Time Clip, Reload Time Chamber, Time to Fire, Base Accuracey, Blast Radius and the Blast Rating columns. (The Kill Rating columns are for direct fire ammunition, the Blast Rating columns are for indirect fire ammunition.)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI