Smoke but no smoke! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Oxtane -> Smoke but no smoke! (5/16/2002 12:43:49 AM)

Ok, I have had this happen to me a couple of times and it is starting to make me mad. :mad: When I have a unit and I go to pop smoke with it (always inf units) I will press the "X" key or the button and click the hex next to the unit where I want the smoke. The unit turns and faces the direction but no smoke is dropped, then I usually get whacked by the unit that I was trying to hide from!:eek:

These units have no or almost no suppression, the smoke button is lit up, and I have smoke available to use. My question is has anyone else had this happen to them and why does this happen?

Vitreum -> (5/16/2002 1:06:08 AM)

My guess is the units are doing some kind of
"die roll task check" and failed.
Same thing happens occassionally when "assaulting"
a bunker, cave, mg nest etc.
The unit turns to fire, nothing happens, but suppression goes to 10 or 15 or 20.
Hit "R" a few times to rally and try again is what I do.
I have had the same thing happen when trying to smoke....OUCH!! that hurts....

bigtroutz -> (5/16/2002 1:59:53 AM)

heh, yep, i have had this happen to me lots as well....definitely a die roll thang

maybe it sux, but you have to live with it

Belisarius -> (5/16/2002 2:08:25 AM)

Doesn't it usually say something down in the..uh... event list?

It rings a bell with those cave/bunker assaults - nothing happens, but suppression jumps to 20-30. But the list displays "Assault failed" or something similar. It's like the troops were standing around it; "alright everybody, on the count of three! ... one!.... two! .... th...err.. nevermind, run awaaay!" :D :D

I have never failed to pop smoke. Although I have run out of smoke canisters all too many times. :p

Capt. Pixel -> Re: Smoke but no smoke! (5/16/2002 6:37:24 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oxtane
[B]Ok, I have had this happen to me a couple of times and it is starting to make me mad. :mad: When I have a unit and I go to pop smoke with it (always inf units) I will press the "X" key or the button and click the hex next to the unit where I want the smoke. The unit turns and faces the direction but no smoke is dropped, then I usually get whacked by the unit that I was trying to hide from!:eek:
[/B][/QUOTE]

I've had this happen on more that a few occassions. I guess, too, that's it involves some sort of Morale Check.

Fortunes of War, eh Mate?? ;)

Ograbme -> (5/16/2002 7:29:13 AM)

If it's a morale check, wouldn't it succeed if morale was too low? Units pop smoke automaticly when fleeing.

Oxtane -> Smokem if ya have em...eer maybe not! (5/16/2002 11:11:26 AM)

Ya, that doesn't make sense because when your unit is turning tails and makin for the rear they almost automatically pop smoke to cover the escape. So why can't my unit with no suppression or almost none fail?

One would think that a unit that has light suppression is going to be able to toss a smoke grenade over the rock he is pinned behind rather then the guy crying for his mom and running like a deer! :D

bigtroutz -> (5/16/2002 10:00:43 PM)

it seems like auto-retreating units also have a dice roll for popping smoke AND they wont pop smoke if it will interfear will other unmoved units los.

ivantheterrible -> (5/17/2002 12:33:10 AM)

Just my personal take on this "phenomenon":

This happens to me once in a while too. It usually succeed if you try a second time (unless the unit got routed by enemy OP fire or something). I rationalize this behavior by imagining that, in such a case the enemy has spotted you and takes a quick shot at you while you're in the process of tossing out the smoke grenade -- it does take a few seconds for the smoke to blow up doesn't it? The bullet sometimes comes at you faster than smoke... :p

Gary Tatro -> To cover the obvious (5/17/2002 1:08:09 AM)

"Sargent tell the squad to fire smoke!"
"Ahh-Captain".
"Just do it Sargent"
"But Captain"
"Yes Sargent"
"We do not have any smoke ammo left!"

Now you did have smoke ammo left right?

Oxtane -> (5/17/2002 1:26:03 AM)

"Uhhh, Captain?"
"Yes, Sergeant?"
"Well, the men have plenty of smoke sir, but it seems like they have forgotten how to use it!"
"Doh!"

Yes sir, they had smoke. That was one of the first things I checked to make sure I wasn't getting upset for nothing" :D

tracer -> (5/17/2002 11:27:41 AM)

I've been seeing this phenomenon for a long time, but I don't think it involves a die roll/morale check cuz I've had this happen many times to squads/tanks who are unsuppressed and do not even have a direct LOS to any enemy units! I guess they might have reached up to their web gear for a smoke grenade and threw their canteen instead :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI