New player Question. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

VANILLA GORILLA -> New player Question. (3/25/2009 9:36:57 PM)

Just bought the game. I've only played Dai Senryaku and Panzer General. Was a little over whelmed by the Bookshelf style counter pieces. Is there a way to play this game using graphical representations of the units(like PG). Also, could someone recommend a game scenario to begin with. One that is the least detailed, so I can get my feet wet. I tried the tutorial, but it didn't seem to be a tutorial at all. I'm getting a little frustrated with the "If you haven't played TOAW 1-2, your screwed" presentation.

It's not the scope of the game thats frustrating me. It's the transition from not knowing anything to learning how to play thats bugging me.

vahauser -> RE: New player Question. (3/25/2009 10:02:31 PM)

Telumar and Silvanski are pretty good at handling newbie questions.  Perhaps they can give you some helpful advice.

VANILLA GORILLA -> RE: New player Question. (3/25/2009 10:59:22 PM)

O.K. figured out how to get to the 3D view. Cool, now I feel like I'm playing a game.

Jeff Norton -> RE: New player Question. (3/26/2009 1:34:53 AM)

Back in the day, before silicone took over for the cardboard models, the 2-d motif was king.

I've been glad that V4V and TOAW has kept the Old Skool meme going...

Now, to find time to unearth the 50+ games I still hang onto, for "the memories"

Welcome aboard - you're in good company.[&o]

sPzAbt653 -> RE: New player Question. (3/26/2009 2:01:31 AM)

quote:

I tried the tutorial, but it didn't seem to be a tutorial at all.

If you didn't notice it, you will want to click on the red circled button. It has a basic step by step 'how to'.

[image]local://upfiles/24850/06604DE4CC8148D688396DE45BCF8368.jpg[/image]

sPzAbt653 -> RE: New player Question. (3/26/2009 2:14:32 AM)

quote:

Also, could someone recommend a game scenario to begin with. One that is the least detailed, so I can get my feet wet.

There hasn't been a system implemented that rates skill levels for the scenarios, but in general, look for scenarios that have small unit counts and small maps. Some scenariios have that information at the top of the briefing, others don't, so you have to open them up to see what they are. It also helps if you can stick to subject matter that you are familiar with.

quote:

It's the transition from not knowing anything to learning how to play thats bugging me.

Not that it makes it any better, but it is the same with anything. On the rare occasion that I go back to something I used to play, it's a bite trying to remember how to manipulate the left clicks and right clicks, etc. to get the thing to cooperate.

I recommend that you have the manual open in Adobe so that when a question is raised, you can do a quick search to see if that document has an answer for you. But don't spend too much time reading that thing, as it is often easier to post a question here and wait for the answer, which usually arrives fairly quick. There are several people here that are happy to answer 'easy' questions, it's a nice break from all the complex stuff.

Cheers!

VANILLA GORILLA -> RE: New player Question. (3/26/2009 3:10:49 AM)

Thanks for the help!

Silvanski -> RE: New player Question. (3/26/2009 11:36:53 AM)

Welcome.
First of all I recommend the tedious task of going through the manual[>:] The onboard help file is useful to browse using keywords, although some information may be from older versions
The best scenarios to start with are those with ground units only. Most scenarios will be playable vs the computer, check the notes
Keep an eye on the news at the beginning of your turn.. Examine your units, and the equipment in them

If you managed to play PG you'll get to grips with TOAW as well. The 3D option may look cooler but most of us prefer the onmap counters. They hold a lot of information and in many cases their color will immediately show if there will be co-operation between formations

L`zard -> RE: New player Question. (3/27/2009 4:54:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

Welcome.
First of all I recommend the tedious task of going through the manual[>:] The onboard help file is useful to browse using keywords, although some information may be from older versions

What Sil said, and I suggest making your own .rtf copy of the pertinent sections....'the learning curve' tends to be steep, but there's lots of people willing to help you out!

http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?f=372 for starters......

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI