About the UV manual... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

Oggidoggi -> About the UV manual... (5/21/2002 3:39:08 AM)

YEA!!! I recieved my copy of UV today! Now I only have one problem...
How do you have the manual printed out at a printing shop if the UV manual is inexcessible except when UV is installed onto your computer? Am I going to have to burn the manual to a writeable CD, since the UV manual will not fit on a floppy disk? Tell me this isn't so! Hopefully I'm missing something. Any clearification would be appreciated. Thanks.

osros -> (5/21/2002 3:46:40 AM)

Yep as far as I know that is what needs to be done. I just did it and sprial bind it at staples.

As for the print shop goes I live in NYC and its a $1 per page
in these parts so at a 130 pages thats not an option for me.
I finally got it done on a inkjet and $2.50 at staples for the binding. A hassle but Im all set.

Paul Vebber -> (5/21/2002 4:09:37 AM)

IF you don't have a CD-RW or ZIP disk, use Winzip disk spanning to zip it across 4 or 5 floppies.

Some printshops will even let you email it to them for an extra buck or 2

Mark W Carver -> (5/21/2002 5:40:01 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by osros
[B] As for the print shop goes I live in NYC and its a $1 per page
in these parts so at a 130 pages thats not an option for me.
I finally got it done on a inkjet and $2.50 at staples for the binding. A hassle but Im all set. [/B][/QUOTE]

I took mine to Office Depot and at $.07 a page in black and white, very reasonable. I can print the color pages myself if I really want to...

MWMace -> About the UV manual... (5/21/2002 6:19:40 AM)

When I tried to print the manual to a b/w laser printer, the background "UV" became a BIG UGLY "UV" that blacked out a good chunk of the page.

Am I stupid or am I missing something here??

It works just fine on a color laser....

Supervisor -> (5/21/2002 8:21:23 AM)

[QUOTE]When I tried to print the manual to a b/w laser printer, the background "UV" became a BIG UGLY "UV" that blacked out a good chunk of the page.[/QUOTE]
Just to check it out, I tried printing page 2 and got the same thing. I have a Brother laser printer.

Oggidoggi -> Mission Accomplished! (5/21/2002 9:16:50 AM)

Whew! I went to [url]www.kinkos.com[/url] and uploaded the UV manual to their website. Now I'll be able to pick up my bound copy of the manual tomorrow morning and it only cost $14.85 US. Thanks for the idea Paul Vebber!
p.s. I called the local kinkos to make sure the background UV on each page wouldn't be a problem and they said it would print just fine.

Paul Goodman -> (5/21/2002 9:20:04 AM)

From the Adobe print screen, select "Print as Image", the "UV" will then print in a quarter tone as intended.

Paul

brisd -> manual impressions (5/21/2002 10:26:52 AM)

I have only had the game 4 hours and I am impressed with the manual. PDF was the way to go, keep doing them that way Matrix. If someone needs a high quality tree-killing, expensive paper manual instead of an interactive, high tech pdf version, go print it out. I probably will print out a b/w version at work, its too big to print on my home printer, that's ALOT of ink.

Someone said it is too big to fit on floppy or email - I copied the manual file to a RW CDROM and that way I can study it at work on my breaks on my work pc. :p

MWMace -> (5/21/2002 7:37:55 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Goodman
[B]From the Adobe print screen, select "Print as Image", the "UV" will then print in a quarter tone as intended.

Paul [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, never knew that about Adobe even though I've used it for years...

Oggidoggi -> Oh well... (5/22/2002 3:02:34 AM)

Apparently it isn't meant to be. Kinkos cannot print the manual. I uploaded it twice, but for some reason they cannot print that format. The woman I spoke to at Kinkos said that she wasn't sure why it wouldn't work. Bummer. So much for having some good bathroom reading material!

Marc von Martial -> (5/22/2002 3:06:27 AM)

PDF is a standard and that even in pre-press they should have no problem printing it. Maybe you can be more specific on what problems they have?

ccoul -> Hmmm (5/22/2002 3:09:03 AM)

Might have been operator error at Kinko's. I got mine printed up at Kinko's and there were no problems. In fact according to the Kinko's home page. PDF's are one of there prefered formats.

Chris

Oggidoggi -> (5/22/2002 3:15:07 AM)

Hi Marc,
I'm not sure what the problem was, since the woman gave me such a convoluted reply. The manual worked fine on their computer, but then stopped printing on the copier after the first couple of pages. Does seem rather strange.

Oggidoggi -> (5/22/2002 3:17:28 AM)

Hi ccoul,
Did you upload the file on the internet to Kinkos or did you burn to a CD and take it there yourself? My brother has a disk burner maybe I could do it that way.

ccoul -> Answer (5/22/2002 3:56:32 AM)

I burnt a CD. Took it to them at 700am and walk out with it 7:15am. I had it bound and fancy cover put on the back and front ;)

the total price was $14.38. Well worth it since my manual goes with me everywhere. :)

Chris

Marc von Martial -> (5/22/2002 4:06:47 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oggidoggi
[B]Hi Marc,
I'm not sure what the problem was, since the woman gave me such a convoluted reply. The manual worked fine on their computer, but then stopped printing on the copier after the first couple of pages. Does seem rather strange. [/B][/QUOTE]

It is possible that the file upload didnīt work and the pdf file got corrupted during the transfer.

I think the best solution is to get it personally to a printer.

11Bravo -> Re: Answer (5/23/2002 10:35:58 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ccoul
[B]I burnt a CD. Took it to them at 700am and walk out with it 7:15am. I had it bound and fancy cover put on the back and front ;)

the total price was $14.38. Well worth it since my manual goes with me everywhere. :)

Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi. Well played. My Kinko's wants $150 for printing alone, I didn't ask about binding. Staples is in the same ball park. Similar prices for the other 12 print shops I called.

Please give me the telephone number or city where that Kinko is that charged $15 and took 15 minutes. Maybe I will drive there. :rolleyes:

Maybe I misunderstood something. I am asking for them to print out 137 color pages from 6 pdf files. Did you guys do B&W?

In the meantime I will try the kinkos.com web site. Maybe I will find some joy there. :)

UPDATE:

OK, Kinko's per page costs are as follows, 8 cents for B&W, 99 cents for color. That explains the difference between my quotes and your cost.

You guys opted for black and white copies. :eek:

Now the challenge. Where can I get a color paper version of this manual for about $15. Anybody?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI