2in1 box? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Mad Dog -> 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 2:07:28 AM)

Hi everybody! I am planing to buy WITP and it seems that AE will be released soon (hopefully). [;)]
Befor I do something I would like to ask you Matrixguys some questions:

1. Is there going to be some kind of 2in1 Collector`s box or will I have to buy both games for full price to be able to play AE. [8|]

2. Are you planing to distribute the boxed version of the game in german stores also or will the only way to buy it for me be by ordering it from Matrix Homepage? If so, the game will be very expensive because of customs duties and postal charges. Above 70€ for the stock WITP only. [sm=sad-1361.gif]

Thanks in advance for your answers. [&o]

51st Highland Div -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 2:54:58 AM)

Would definetely buy the 2-1 collectors box/download if it came available..if not will just have to save the pennies up and buy both...[&:]

Richrd -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 5:23:47 AM)

Can't you buy the digital download to save the shipping costs?

Hagleboz -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 9:23:54 AM)

I have also been wondering about this and would love to see a combined 2in1 purchase option.  Buying both separately might be tough for me and my pocketbook at the moment.

Czert -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 9:06:22 PM)

I 95% sure that here will be 2in1 combo, but if we have 2in1 special/colectors edition is mystery for me.  Digital download is sure, but in which countries it will be direct sale of boxes - any info will be welcomed.

Mad Dog -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 9:24:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richrd

I couldt, but buying just a digital download is not the same as having boxed version with printed manual and so on in your hands.[:)]
I never purchased a game as a digital download so i don`t really know how it works.
For example: can you install and uninstall the game unlimited times? or what if a harddrive on which you stored the downloaded file crashs? Will you lose the game in this case or can you download it again for free? [&:]
With a boxed version you definitely won`t have this problems.

bilbow -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 9:26:56 PM)

Just copy the digital download file to a cd as a backup. This is allowed by the license agreement. Keep it and the e-mail with the serial number in a safe place, and you can re-install easily in the event of something bad happening.

Mad Dog -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/19/2009 11:22:29 PM)

Thanks bilbow!
Seems that digital download isn`t as bad as i thought.

51st Highland Div -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/20/2009 1:04:38 AM)

Digital Download means you get your hands on AE as soon as youve managed to d/l from Digital River..no waiting a few days expectantly watching the post waiting for it to drop through the letterbox...[:D]

MadmanRick -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/20/2009 4:41:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richrd

I couldt, but buying just a digital download is not the same as having boxed version with printed manual and so on in your hands.[:)]
I never purchased a game as a digital download so i don`t really know how it works.
For example: can you install and uninstall the game unlimited times? or what if a harddrive on which you stored the downloaded file crashs? Will you lose the game in this case or can you download it again for free? [&:]
With a boxed version you definitely won`t have this problems.

Think of it this way, if you are like most of the known world, if you have a game with a printed manual and box, you may look at it a few times in the beginning, but once you learn the game that stuff just sits around gathering dust. However, you had to pay money for it and it was useless in the end. A digital download is the same exact game and all the games I've seen that are offered in that format include either an online manual or a .pdf version. They both help you learn the game and depending upon your internet connection allow you to get your hands on the game much quicker, for a lower overall price in the end. How can you lose??

Lützow -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/20/2009 9:51:54 AM)

However, a box you can still resell if you're up to, while for a selfburned medium everybody would assume a pirated copy. Try to pick games like 'Bombing the Reich' or 'Wizardry 8' from Ebay and you'll see that some classic titles even raised in value over the years. It's just a shame that today's boxes look so bland, compared to what you got in the nineties.

That being said, I wouldn't mind to pay 100 bucks for some kind of WitP Collectors Edition, preferably with a large printed map and an artbook - even though I already own the basic game.

Czert -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/20/2009 2:34:04 PM)

I too will prefer boxed version over downloaded (I live in Czech republic) - but I afraid onlyest way will be digital download, which is realy bad. I simply love "touch and feel"  or CD/DVD and box over "some invisible data on HDD".

rogueusmc -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/21/2009 4:40:33 AM)

You should have the same options the US does from the European store. One option being direct download with the physical copy sent to you by post.

Lee

Hagleboz -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/21/2009 5:44:43 AM)

I'll buy the game in a box or as a download, I don't really care, but part #1 of the question focused on where there would be a combined product at a (modest I would imagine) reduction in price.  There are a lot of people who seem to have interest in AE and have also never purchased or played WitP.  As one of those I'm hoping the price of both combined will come in at or somewhat under $100.

SuluSea -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/21/2009 7:23:47 PM)

If you are planning on buying AE you should purchase WITP now to help give you a running start or at the very least buy Uncommon Valor.

Mad Dog -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/21/2009 10:01:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

If you are planning on buying AE you should purchase WITP now to help give you a running start or at the very least buy Uncommon Valor.

But imagine you buy WITP now. AE is released one month later and you realize, that you could save a lot of money by purchasing a (possible) 2in1 combo.
I would say, if you are 100% sure that you will buy AE, it`s better to wait for it to get released and hope for the combo.

Czert -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/21/2009 10:49:49 PM)

If player have expiriences with UV, then is is more logical for him to wait for cheaper 2 in 1 combo, than purchrasing booth games separetly.  And for someone untouched with this style of game....WITP was not so friendly with learning, AE will be only worse. Hope we will finaly good manual, and much more important implemented tutorial, which was biggest missing in WITP.

Veldor -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/24/2009 4:04:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hagleboz

I'll buy the game in a box or as a download, I don't really care, but part #1 of the question focused on where there would be a combined product at a (modest I would imagine) reduction in price.  There are a lot of people who seem to have interest in AE and have also never purchased or played WitP.  As one of those I'm hoping the price of both combined will come in at or somewhat under $100.

I've never bought WITP but am interested in this new AE. I have seen WITP a bunch and thought it was just overkill in all ways time commitment and price included. I did buy Uncommon Valor and it was probably my most favorite PC wargame ever though I ebayed it years ago. Something about AE speaks to me in a way WITP itself was unable to. I've not much ability to articulate how/why. Maybe it was the screenshots (I didn't even read anything about an improved A.I., Is there one?)

I had stupidly assumed the AE would be a self-contained playable game not unlike how other games get rereleased as gold versions or whatever often with reworked stuff, all patches incorporated, and some new content. I suppose its fine if its not but the advertising should be very clear upon release what is required or included.

My limit is $100 for both combined (Though I hope its less), and not for a digital download but for a boxed copy with printed rules. I hope Matrix doesn't disappoint me.

dwesolick -> RE: 2in1 box? (4/24/2009 6:22:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

(I didn't even read anything about an improved A.I., Is there one?)

Hi Veldor,

Well, there is an AI but as to whether it is improved, well that's the million dollar question that many of us are wondering. The answer, from trolling through the various threads, seems to be yes, no, maybe, and all of the above[;)]

I for one am desperately hoping for at least a competent AI. Everyone has their horror stories of course, but I just started the short Guadalcanal scenario in WITP, just to pass the time until AE's release. As the Allies I easily captured Lunga (of course) and the AI, for three weeks, responded with nothing but sporadic (and fairly weak) air attacks. Now it seems to be intent on destroying its tanker fleet by hurling them in the general direction of Guadalcanal. Seriously, in the last couple turns I've sunk three Japanese tanker or AO fleets right off Lunga's doorstep. The AI is also, I've noted, repeating its tried and true method of self-immolation by parking numerous BBs and CAs at Buna (without air cover), you know, just to give my flyboys at Port Moresby something to do. This is the kind of bizarre, pointless behavior that I think we are all hoping will be corrected in AE. We'll see.

Connfire -> RE: 2in1 box? (5/3/2009 1:54:15 PM)

I too, after playing Pacific War for almost a year, have been intent on buying War in the Pacific after the Admiral's Edition comes out. I'm thinking of getting into War Plan Orange in the meantime - hopefully this will help familiarize myself with the WiTP-AE system a bit and I find the whole idea of Pacific combat in the 1920s a facinating concept. The combined WiTP-AE looks like it will be worth the wait.

Also, thanks to the above posters for convincing me of buying the download vs the boxed edition. I had the same questions as Mad Dog, and now they're answered.[8D]

Veldor -> RE: 2in1 box? (5/3/2009 5:33:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Connfire

I too, after playing Pacific War for almost a year, have been intent on buying War in the Pacific after the Admiral's Edition comes out. I'm thinking of getting into War Plan Orange in the meantime - hopefully this will help familiarize myself with the WiTP-AE system a bit and I find the whole idea of Pacific combat in the 1920s a facinating concept. The combined WiTP-AE looks like it will be worth the wait.

Also, thanks to the above posters for convincing me of buying the download vs the boxed edition. I had the same questions as Mad Dog, and now they're answered.[8D]

I'll always buy boxed versions, primarily so that I can resell it when Im done/bored with it. I once downloaded two Matrix Games on their promise that I could later upgrade to the boxed version and they went back on that promise. While I understand the reason given you shouldnt promise something your not sure you can deliver, and if you do you should find a way to make good on it to those customers who care. While I suppose I could still sell those two its not nearly as easy as with a boxed copy.

With games as expensive as these, on the off chance that its just not for me at least that protects my maximum sunk cost somewhat...

Plus the boxed copy bought elsewhere is the same as the digital download price directly from matrix.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI