Best Napoleonic Game? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

barbarossa2 -> Best Napoleonic Game? (5/1/2009 3:40:07 PM)

I am just curious. What do people here think is the best strategic level Napoleonic computer OR board game and why?

sullafelix -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (5/1/2009 4:56:48 PM)

I've always liked playing "War and Peace" a boardgame, I believe from AH. Hard to say why on games. To me the rules and tables and outcomes just feel right. Crown of glory I did not buy because I do not like area movement in computer or boardgames. To me it's mostly no hexes no sale. I do like  " The campaigns of Napoleon" from Ageod but that is mostly operational unless you play the grand campaign.

barbarossa2 -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (5/1/2009 6:29:28 PM)

Sulla05,

I remember War and Peace!  I used to play it a lot.  Back in like 1984. :)

I do understand your preference for hex based games.  I have a strong tendency to like them too.  I find what AGEOD is doing with its maps (for instance WW1 most recently) very interesting.  They have taken away the rigid hex and replaced it with "blob" hexes.  Basically, they use a hex map and then bend the hex sides in any way they want to.  But you can still clearly see the underlying hexagonal pattern if you look closely.

Yogi the Great -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (5/2/2009 4:30:31 PM)

For the fun of it on the grand strategic games I really enjoy Commander-Napoleon at War

For individual battles and/or campaigns I like the HPS Tiller Napoleonic Campaign series.

I do still have the board game war & peace.  It was great and at the time quite the game, the map size is something to see.  I some respects, I don't think computer games have ever matched the classic board games.

sameera -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 9:58:51 AM)

I have Campaigns on the Danube, Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle and Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory. All are great, although I think it'd be hard to find Austerlitz and Waterloo. I got the Waterloo game in a 5 game pack—I think it was called Conqueror's Pack. My first Napoleonic game, though, was Fields of Glory, which was a Mircroprose game done up miniatures style, much like Austerlitz and Waterloo. It covered the Waterloo campaign. I had a lot of fun with it, but now I realize how bad command and control was._______________________________________________________________
fragrance .com parfums
wedding gowns

Anguille -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 11:33:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sameera

I have Campaigns on the Danube, Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle and Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory. All are great, although I think it'd be hard to find Austerlitz and Waterloo. I got the Waterloo game in a 5 game pack—I think it was called Conqueror's Pack. .
I have Waterloo but couldn't find Austerlitz anywhere....just the demo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sameera
My first Napoleonic game, though, was Fields of Glory, which was a Mircroprose game done up miniatures style, much like Austerlitz and Waterloo. It covered the Waterloo campaign. I had a lot of fun with it, but now I realize how bad command and control was.
Same here! This is one of my all-time favs...the problem was however a rather weak AI. I am still waiting for a successor...

PunkReaper -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 12:53:03 PM)

Napoleon Total War is released in Feb...... should be ready to play by Christmas [;)]

sol_invictus -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 1:51:35 PM)

Ah, War and Peace. Those were the days. I still have my copy. I guess if you are looking for a detailed strategic Napoleonic wargame Crown of Glory: EE is the best choice. Operational Napoleonics would be AGEOD's Campaigns of Napoleon. For tactical battles HPS has several different battles.

rickier65 -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 6:21:58 PM)

Mine was Ney vs Wellington, the Battle of Quartre Bra, a boardgame by SPI. After that is was Battles of Napoleon (comp game on the C64 I think).

I couldn't say why.

Rick

pzgndr -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 10:54:10 PM)

I'm a AH War & Peace veteran and would love to see an adaptation of that to the PC. I'm into Empires in Arms now since Matrix released a computer wargame version. It's OK and getting better; its boardgame simplicity appeals to me. I've also got EUIII Napoleon's Ambition and Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition, but I just don't care for the abstract level of detail in the former or the micromanagement in the later. EiA scale is just right.

jwarrenw13 -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 11:01:35 PM)

War and Peace.

benpark -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/11/2010 11:14:31 PM)

Ah, yes. Glorious old "War and Pieces". Many hours of my early teen years were spent playing that.

In a thread somewhere here someone asked what boardgames we would want a direct port made of into a PC game with an AI. This classic was second on my list (ASL taking first seat).

Gil R. -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/12/2010 12:14:48 AM)

There's more than one Napoleonic game?[X(]

Sarge -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/12/2010 3:12:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barbarossa2
I am just curious. What do people here think is the best strategic level Napoleonic computer OR board game and why?

Personally I find at the strategic level I’m more likely to enjoy the PC title over a board game, reason being is a combination of factors - set up,security ! got any cats , kids or wife ,birds ,dog ……….. short of having a panic room for game day their all real risk factors and last but hardly least opponents ?.

I would recommend Crown Of Glory , the original release was a rock solid all-around game I have yet to pick up the Empires Edition and will leave the praise to someone more apt on the numerous additions in EE .

Just by chance you get the “Tactical” itch look up Napoleon’s Triumph by Simmons Games .
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18098/napoleons-triumph

Easy set up, light learning curve, tangible and quit irresistible if viewed set up to anyone even remotely interested in board games. If you can play chess can pick up/ be competitive relatively quick aided with a brief 5-10min tutorial from a experienced player.

[image]local://upfiles/8678/6DE42F6D99D24D74AA5C0DCA40CE6ED2.jpg[/image]

benpark -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/12/2010 3:14:57 AM)

Absolutely, Sarge. Napoleon's Triumph is a fantastic game. I've also got Bonaparte at Marengo, but haven't cracked the shrinkwrap. Has anyone figured out a way to Vassal-ize those? I'd love to actually play 'em...

Sarge -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/12/2010 3:59:20 AM)

Bonaparte at Marengo and Napoleon's both have a beta’s up…….

Honestly you’d be surprised at the interest the game attracts when set up, the blocks are pretty durable along with board. I coach High school baseball and managed to spark the tactical interest of most of the team over the years , course this is usually interrupted for a round of air soft or anything without a adams apple…….[:D]

Ether-way not to get to OT did you get a load of upcoming The Guns of Gettysburg by Simmons.

benpark -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/12/2010 4:15:06 AM)

Yeah, it looks great. They are good at putting up information that gives an idea how the game gets made, and how how well it will play.

killroyishere -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/12/2010 11:41:22 AM)

I've always been most fond of "Battles of Napoleon" by Landrey & Koger of SSI days. I've played a lot of them and always end up back playing this version. It uses rectangles like the above pictured game that Sarge showed us and on the Commodore 64 the graphics were pretty good for its day. You can still play it today using DosBox if you can find a copy. I got the full version with loads of battles and even battles made for Sons of Liberty another great wargame of the same game engine based on the battles of the War of Independence. It even comes with its own editor and wargame construction set where you can start out making a battle and at any point turn it over to the computer and it will finish it for you. I don't think any game comes close to that kind of function anymore.

ccxx -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/12/2010 1:59:57 PM)

IMO

strategic : Crown of Glory: EE        *CDG  Age of Napoleon    The Napoleonic Wars

Operational : Kevin Zucker's games.

tactical : La Bataille series

panzers -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/13/2010 3:11:57 AM)

Always wanted to play the EIN board game. Had I ever played that, maybe I would have had a chance to learn how to play the matrix game

Matto -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/13/2010 4:50:25 PM)

Board: Napoleon’s Triumph
Strategic PC: Crown of Glory: EE

06 Maestro -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/14/2010 5:10:28 AM)

The only Napoleonic game I own is CoG EE; I can't really compare it to the other's. However, I can say that I really procrastinated for a couple of months before buying that game during which time I made a good effort to pick the best one. I am quite satisfied with the game.

BTW, for you CoG players, there is a poll going for the best wargame of the year. CoG EE is in fourth place-just 14 votes behind Empires TW.

Vote here http://www.cyberstratege.com/magazine/

Hartford688 -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/14/2010 7:06:08 AM)

Ageod's "Campaigns of Napoleon" is 50% off at Gamersgate right now.

leena -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/18/2010 11:12:05 AM)

I would say that HPS have gone just that little bit further, although the graphics and game play are exactly the same as talonsoft they are at the same time different, the battlefields are laid out better with nore buildings and redoubts, more scenarios and "what ifs?"._____________________________________________________________
Glass Blocks
how to get rid of mice naturally

sabre1 -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/18/2010 12:41:30 PM)

Crimeny, these bots are getting good.

martok -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/18/2010 11:46:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

That they are. Although I'm starting to wonder whether or not this "leena" is an actual human spammer as opposed to a simple bot....

06 Maestro -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/19/2010 12:01:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

That they are. Although I'm starting to wonder whether or not this "leena" is an actual human spammer as opposed to a simple bot....

I saw an ad online a few days ago for a "work at home" business opportunity. You can make 5,000 bucks a month for a few hours of work per day. All you have to do is post links at various websites. You get the master website and all required info for a small fee. Of course, in the fine print, it stated that you may not make that much money-it was only an example of what you could make. The people were not real in the example given.

I'm afraid many don't read the fine print. There are likely many thousands of people who are nothing but 2 bit spammers trying to make some money. No doubt- they vote also.

killroyishere -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/19/2010 5:17:47 AM)

I invested $125 into one of those scams that read "make $100's of dollars a day processing rebates". Well it sounded simple enough and in my mind I would be processing those rebates people mail in for various things they buy in stores and over the internet and the more I did the more I could make per day. Well that wasn't exactly how the system worked. You had to advertise these rebates and you only made money if someone used "your" rebate information and submitted it to your email address, but, the specific ad included the main office email address and phone number. Now tell me if you were submitting a rebate who would you send in the information to? Some off the wall email address or the official main office? Well, to my surprise they did live up to their guarantee as after I read how it worked I immediately contacted them and told them I wanted no part of that scam. The operator assured me it was no scam (but, I'm sure from my description you can see that it is), but, willingly refunded my entire $125. I was a bit surprised as I was sure that $125 would never be seen again.

sabre1 -> RE: Best Napoleonic Game? (1/19/2010 1:26:05 PM)

O6 Maestro: "No doubt- they vote also."

[:D]

And BTW, love that tag line.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI