JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports

jonreb31 -> JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/3/2009 3:02:14 AM)

To Marky -- Eyes out!

Howdy to the rest of you,

I've started a PBEM with Marky, and this'll be the AAR from the Japanese perspective. This will be, technically, one of my first PBEM games for WITP. However, I'm up for the Japanese challenge, I'll give those Allies some hell-- and then some steel if need be![:D] Besides, being from the South, I should have some ability playing the underdog..

I'll attempt writing this AAR in mixed ways depending on how I think I can best portray it and make it interesting. Last thing I'll do is throw in thousands of lines of combat reports. [:-]

Here are the current settings and houserules we've agreed upon, along with our common sense not to do anything overly gamey or outside the realm or reality.

Sub Doctrines = off
FOW = on
Advanced Weather = on
Allied damage control = on
Hist 1st turn = yes
Vary Setup = off
Dec 7 suprise = on
Reinforcements = historical
Auto sub ops = off
Expand at start = off
Automatic upgrades = off
Accept replacements = off
Turn cycle = 1

--No submarine invasions (but allowed to transport/evacuate troops to bases already owned),
--Chinese, Dutch, and Canadian troops cannot leave their own theatre of war without PP points spent.
--Pilot training only on Real targets(Ex: no empty bases),
--4Engine bombers no less than 10,000 altitude for naval attacks,
--No more than 30,000 troops on atolls,
--Transporting/assaulting troops from the air should be only done from base to base,
--No more than 6 ships in an ASW TF.

Time for Japan to get out the sword...

SierraJuliet -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/3/2009 7:45:53 AM)

All the best JonReb send him hell.  I'm looking forward to following your exploits.

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/3/2009 8:30:45 AM)

The War Plan...

Well, in general.. the plan is to win! How to win is up in the air, getting an auto victory could be very difficult. Therefore I have to consider the possibility of having to hold on until 1946. Then again there's always the possibility of getting my opponent to quit. However I'd consider a "draw" or minimal victory very satisfying to accomplish.

PACIFIC THEATER

The Pacific is where, for the most part, I'll be fighting the enemy who threatens me the most: the USA. For the first 6-12 months I'll naturally be playing offensively and grabbing as much as I can. After that point it's more than likely I'll take my defensive role after which I have to delay and beat up the Americans as much as possible while still conserving my forces against the giant.

Unless a good opportunity arises or the war goes extremely well I intend to isolate Australia and New Zealand and not waste time or manpower on conquering them. The most potential targets, however, would be the Western and Northern coasts which are a lot more remote.

I've created 3 zones I plan to conquer and defend, but with different levels of priority. Following is a map-- included names are either an important airfield, port, or both for basing operations.

[image]local://upfiles/23024/5ECD63A6E8E4442BA76C4CDD2EE9481C.jpg[/image]

The Red Zone: This is the Inner Perimeter, or first priority zone. This area I absolutely must defend at all costs with as much force as possible. If this area is penetrated then the Home Islands are in immediate danger as well as all convoys and resource/oil merchants. If this happens then my war effort will effectively crumble, as well as my victory points. It may become inevitable that this zone will eventually be broken into, but the Americans should pay dearly for it.

The Green Zone: This is the Resource Area, or second priority zone. This area will be a major role in my industry and economy, and therefore my overall war effort. It is also an important flank on my Inner Perimeter that should be determined to be held against any invasions.

The White Zone: This is the Outer Perimter, or third priority zone. This is where first contact with the Americans will be made when they make their offensive, and where we will put up our first fight. This zone should be defended as much as possible to delay the Americans as long as possible but with preservation of forces kept in mind. The chances of this zone holding effectively until a victory is accomplished is very slim, so it's mainly a zone for delaying purposes.

Two other factors that should be mentioned for the Pacific theater are the Home Islands themselves and the North Pacific. The Home Islands is the place of my manpower, industry, production, supplies, and reinforcements therefore making it all important to continue any kind of war effort. It'll be held to the last man. The North Pacific I don't plan to intervene in, but will watch it closely since it is a potential area an invasion can be launched from.

ASIAN MAINLAND THEATER

I still haven't come up with a decision on this theater, but for starters I'll push Burma in the beginning stages of the war and attempt to squish China into it's interior.

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/3/2009 8:35:25 AM)

Operations for Dec-May:

Within this timeframe I'm hoping to have all of the West Indies, Malaysia, Phillipines, parts of southern Burma, a strong foothold in the South and South east Pacific, and progress in the China campaign. I'll be pushing aggresively and destroy as much as possible. However, I still need to be smart and somewhat cautious to avoid any mistakes. I don't want any disasters this early in the war, my forces have to be preserved. Following is a map of how I plan to open up the war.

[image]local://upfiles/23024/34D987E847D043A8AC27B1957812CEBE.jpg[/image]

That should be it. Time to get this war on the move...

P.S: Why exactly don't the [IMG] or [image] tags work for outside websites like imageshack?

SierraJuliet -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/3/2009 10:53:43 AM)

JonReb..... I like your maps.  Your opening looks to me to be a traditional start to affairs.  Do you use the first turn warp movement or will your attacks take some days to develop?

flaggelant -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/3/2009 11:11:56 PM)

Interesting war plan!

and very cool graphics!!

on the linking question;
replace [IMG] with [img] (avoid capitals) that usually works for me

what mod are you using?
(looking at railroads, i'd say stock, but i'm not sure??)

oh, and good luck of course!! [8D]

Hornblower -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 2:53:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonReb

The War Plan...

Well, in general.. the plan is to win! How to win is up in the air, getting an auto victory could be very difficult. Therefore I have to consider the possibility of having to hold on until 1946. Then again there's always the possibility of getting my opponent to quit. However I'd consider a "draw" or minimal victory very satisfying to accomplish.

PACIFIC THEATER

The Pacific is where, for the most part, I'll be fighting the enemy who threatens me the most: the USA. For the first 6-12 months I'll naturally be playing offensively and grabbing as much as I can. After that point it's more than likely I'll take my defensive role after which I have to delay and beat up the Americans as much as possible while still conserving my forces against the giant.

Unless a good opportunity arises or the war goes extremely well I intend to isolate Australia and New Zealand and not waste time or manpower on conquering them. The most potential targets, however, would be the Western and Northern coasts which are a lot more remote.

I've created 3 zones I plan to conquer and defend, but with different levels of priority. Following is a map-- included names are either an important airfield, port, or both for basing operations.

[image]local://upfiles/23024/5ECD63A6E8E4442BA76C4CDD2EE9481C.jpg[/image]

The Red Zone: This is the Inner Perimeter, or first priority zone. This area I absolutely must defend at all costs with as much force as possible. If this area is penetrated then the Home Islands are in immediate danger as well as all convoys and resource/oil merchants. If this happens then my war effort will effectively crumble, as well as my victory points. It may become inevitable that this zone will eventually be broken into, but the Americans should pay dearly for it.

The Green Zone: This is the Resource Area, or second priority zone. This area will be a major role in my industry and economy, and therefore my overall war effort. It is also an important flank on my Inner Perimeter that should be determined to be held against any invasions.

The White Zone: This is the Outer Perimter, or third priority zone. This is where first contact with the Americans will be made when they make their offensive, and where we will put up our first fight. This zone should be defended as much as possible to delay the Americans as long as possible but with preservation of forces kept in mind. The chances of this zone holding effectively until a victory is accomplished is very slim, so it's mainly a zone for delaying purposes.

Two other factors that should be mentioned for the Pacific theater are the Home Islands themselves and the North Pacific. The Home Islands is the place of my manpower, industry, production, supplies, and reinforcements therefore making it all important to continue any kind of war effort. It'll be held to the last man. The North Pacific I don't plan to intervene in, but will watch it closely since it is a potential area an invasion can be launched from.

ASIAN MAINLAND THEATER

I still haven't come up with a decision on this theater, but for starters I'll push Burma in the beginning stages of the war and attempt to squish China into it's interior.

I like this... Well thought out...

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 5:01:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SierraJuliet

JonReb..... I like your maps.  Your opening looks to me to be a traditional start to affairs.  Do you use the first turn warp movement or will your attacks take some days to develop?

Thanks. It's historicaly first time so I don't get any movement bonuses. I'll be moving pretty rapidly however-- I expect northern Borneo to be taken within 3 days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: flaggelant

Interesting war plan!

and very cool graphics!!

on the linking question;
replace [IMG] with [img] (avoid capitals) that usually works for me

what mod are you using?
(looking at railroads, i'd say stock, but i'm not sure??)

oh, and good luck of course!! [8D]

Thanks. We're using stock.. woulda been nice to use Andrew's Map mod though

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

I like this... Well thought out...

Thanks. This war will be full of surprises and mistakes, so I like to keep to a solid and easy to concentrate on objectives.

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 5:52:28 AM)

Well, the first historical turn has run and I finally finished my
orders for the second turn (took me over 4 hours!). I'll give a
combat report soon, but right now here's a look at the economy:

Japanese Economy

This is where all my planes, ships, and troops will come from..
and it's definitely one of the more complicated parts of the
game. I still don't know much at all about all the numbers and
figures for the Jap economy, so I've left most of it to be
analyzed later except for Aircraft production and a few
expansions.

For the start of the war I'll dedicate 15 AK Cargo ships to pick
up resources and 5 TK Tanker ships to pick up crude oil at ports
around China and Korea for the Home islands. I also want to try
and centralize my fuel supply so I'll have about 15 TKs picking
up fuel from less important bases such as in Korea for the Osaka
naval base.

I've either doubled or tripled naval repair yards in Hiroshima,
Osaka, and Tokyo to accomdate damaged ships. I'm hoping this
should be able to get my damaged ships in and out fairly
efficiently for the first few years.

I've switched over about 350 merchant building yards to naval
yards and expanded several naval yards to add another 200. This
will bring my overall naval building power to 1700 points once
it is all built. When it is built I'll start accelerating several
carrier ships. And finally..

Aircraft Production

This will be pretty close to an overall outline of my aircraft
production throughout the war(except for older models being
replaced). Maybe it's just me but I don't want dozens of
different flimsy aircrafts scattered across the pacific making a
total confusing mess. I've streamlined it to fewer models and to
what I think are some of the overall best and most efficient
aircraft that Japan has to offer for both the early war and late
war.

[image]local://upfiles/23024/CA64C7A52296473E80F9C6DA860E26DD.jpg[/image]

To accomdate the new aircraft plan my engine production was also
changed. The vast majority of my aircraft throughout the war
will use Nakajima and Mitsubishi engines, with a handful of Aichi
engines for the D4Y Dive Bombers. All other engines have been
switched to either Nakajima or Mitsubishi, and now they can start
stockpiling.

First combat report to follow sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Canoerebel -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 5:57:02 AM)

From a fellow Reb, good luck!  With that in mind:

1)  There is only one way for the Japs to "win" according to the desinger rules of WitP:  auto-victory.  Holding out until 1946 isn't possible, at least against an experienced Allied opponent.

2)  Probably the only way to win auto-victory against an experienced Allied opponent is to take India or Australia and pound the Allies everywhere else you meet them.  Even then it's hard.  For a game in which the Japs may have at least a shot at an auto-victory, read "The First Team" AAR.  Note that they laid plans to take India from the outset.  You've got to plan THAT FAR AHEAD.

3)  You might be able to drive Marky to surrender.  He seems to start a heck of alot of games, but I've never seen him get close to finishing any.  Still, he's experienced and bold, and as the Allied player time is on his side.

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 6:04:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

From a fellow Reb, good luck!  With that in mind:

1)  There is only one way for the Japs to "win" according to the desinger rules of WitP:  auto-victory.  Holding out until 1946 isn't possible, at least against an experienced Allied opponent.

2)  Probably the only way to win auto-victory against an experienced Allied opponent is to take India or Australia and pound the Allies everywhere else you meet them.  Even then it's hard.  For a game in which the Japs may have at least a shot at an auto-victory, read "The First Team" AAR.  Note that they laid plans to take India from the outset.  You've got to plan THAT FAR AHEAD.

3)  You might be able to drive Marky to surrender.  He seems to start a heck of alot of games, but I've never seen him get close to finishing any.  Still, he's experienced and bold, and as the Allied player time is on his side.

Thanks fellow rebel! [:D]

I see.. auto victory is the only way to win, but surviving until 1946 gives me a push in more points I believe. Holding out that long would be extremely hard like you said.. if the game even goes on that long.

I'll have to consider India and reconsider Australia then.

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 6:11:02 AM)

Accident.. Delete?

Canoerebel -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 6:16:12 AM)

Honestly, there's no way this game goes to 1946 if you have a decent or experienced Allied player.  Even a newbie (me, for all intents and purposes) can win against experienced Japanese players in late '44 or early '45.  The Allies simply have too much firepower.  For the Japs, achieving victory by lasting til '46 isn't possible.  Auto-victory and "playing just for the fun of it" are the only two options you have.  If you want to try for auto-victory, you've gotta start achieving and planning this minute, and even then it may be too late or not possible.  But the fun is in the trying, right?  To develop and execute a plan and then see how things turn out.  Best of luck!

SierraJuliet -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 6:34:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Honestly, there's no way this game goes to 1946 if you have a decent or experienced Allied player.  Even a newbie (me, for all intents and purposes) can win against experienced Japanese players in late '44 or early '45.  The Allies simply have too much firepower.  For the Japs, achieving victory by lasting til '46 isn't possible.  Auto-victory and "playing just for the fun of it" are the only two options you have.  If you want to try for auto-victory, you've gotta start achieving and planning this minute, and even then it may be too late or not possible.  But the fun is in the trying, right?  To develop and execute a plan and then see how things turn out.  Best of luck!

Hey JonReb... I have to agree totally with Canoerebel. Check out his just finished game with John 3 and John really pushes the envelope as the Japanese. I've only played a month in my game with tocaff and I'm already getting worried about what he is doing with his naval assets and where he plans on using them. Not to mention the pain of each and every ship and plane off the board never to return. Playing for the fun of it is the best way to go. It is a game after all.

Have to say wow to 4 hours planning.... I'm way underachieving in that department but now that I have a little experience I can see how 4 hours can slip by.

Looking forward to the action.

n01487477 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 6:42:49 AM)

quote:

Osaka, and Tokyo to accommodate damaged ships. I'm hoping this

This is a lot to repair initially esp. with the other needs, I hope you are not heading into a supply freeze in the short term.

Good Luck
--Damian--

John 3rd -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 7:12:52 AM)

Bon Chance!

I love the graphics.  Very nice.

Make sure that you planning ahead...ahead...ahead.  When I start the war, I am trying to stay at least three moves ahead of actual operations.  Make sure you always have enough fuel and supplies moving to you current as well as planned bases. 

Damian is dead-on regarding danger in over-expanding the economy.  You've described a massive expansion that will cost a lot of points.  It can be done just watch your levels.  Nice thing is if you plan and expand it enough, you can get those late-war CVs into the war without a crisis.  In Dan and I's game I actually built EVERY Japanese CV (except Shinano but she doesn't count) and used them.

From a JFB---BANZAI!

flaggelant -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 8:51:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonReb

Well, the first historical turn has run and I finally finished my
orders for the second turn (took me over 4 hours!). I'll give a
combat report soon, but right now here's a look at the economy:

Japanese Economy

This is where all my planes, ships, and troops will come from..
and it's definitely one of the more complicated parts of the
game. I still don't know much at all about all the numbers and
figures for the Jap economy, so I've left most of it to be
analyzed later except for Aircraft production and a few
expansions.

For the start of the war I'll dedicate 15 AK Cargo ships to pick
up resources and 5 TK Tanker ships to pick up crude oil at ports
around China and Korea for the Home islands. I also want to try
and centralize my fuel supply so I'll have about 15 TKs picking
up fuel from less important bases such as in Korea for the Osaka
naval base.

Osaka, and Tokyo to accomdate damaged ships. I'm hoping this

Aircraft Production

This will be pretty close to an overall outline of my aircraft
production throughout the war(except for older models being
replaced). Maybe it's just me but I don't want dozens of
different flimsy aircrafts scattered across the pacific making a
total confusing mess. I've streamlined it to fewer models and to
what I think are some of the overall best and most efficient
aircraft that Japan has to offer for both the early war and late
war.

[image]local://upfiles/23024/89E9B0D903C3459182401E04F719FC24.jpg[/image]

To accomdate the new aircraft plan my engine production was also
changed. The vast majority of my aircraft throughout the war
will use Nakajima and Mitsubishi engines, with a handful of Aichi
engines for the D4Y Dive Bombers. All other engines have been
switched to either Nakajima or Mitsubishi, and now they can start
stockpiling.

First combat report to follow sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I tend to play for about 4 hours a turn as well, i could do with less, but i'm still afraid to make mistakes...

besides that a couple of remarks on industry & aircraft;

On the industry; you're stating that you plan to take resources & oil from China & Korea
It is important to know that in both Manchuria and China (and Vietnam, Formosa and several other places)
there are production sites. Therefore they need recources & oil as well.

on Aircraft;
I'm missing Sally (and/or lily/Helen and beyond) in your production lines did you forget about these?
out the back of my head they dont upgrade into any of the mentioned aircraft in your table

Do you use PDU? Player Defined Upgrades for aircraft?
since you'r planning to upgrade into a more unified airforce i'd say yes.
This means that you can upgrade your dive bombers into level bombers (sally/ lily/ Helen and beyond)
investing in Ann's (or any other landbased dive bomber) isnt really a worthwile investement IMO.

and a minor on transports;
i LOVE Tabby's looking at range and max load (with a huge 10K where others max out at 3K ) they outclass just about everything

And that there is A LOT invested in long term research, i don't know about other players, but that is about 3 times what i am planning to research? this is something i dont have much XP in, so we'd need someone else to rate that?

Hornblower -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 10:43:02 PM)

added to my must reads.. 

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/4/2009 11:40:32 PM)

December 7th Combat Report and Theater Planning

Please feel free to criticize the following maps if need be, still experimenting.

Burma:

[img]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6172/southeastburma1.jpg[/img]

Burma will start out modestly with 1 Division, 1 Brigade, and 1 Regiment being used. Their first objective will be Rangoon, it shouldn't be too difficult. Once Rangoon falls the next major Burma objective is Mandalay, but that offensive will be postponed until more reinforcements arrive.

Obviously no reports for this theater, only some recon missions.

China:

Moving units from places that do not need to be garrisoned to the front line, will plan my offensive later. The general goal is to push Chinese forces into it's interior around Chungking.

The first assault on Hong Kong was quite successful with 1-1 odds. Will do another shock attack for next turn. I've set up my dive bombers to begin ground attacks along the line.

Malaysia/East Indies

[img]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3879/southeastmalaysia1st.jpg[/img]

In Malaysia the major objective is to conquer the entire peninsula and destroy all British forces in the area. Singapore will be the most important location, due to it's defensibility and large port/airfield.

As seen on the Burma map 2 divisions, 1 armor regiment, and 1 Army HQ will be moving in from the North into Malaysia by railroad. They will join up with a third division that is landing in Songkhla. From there they can start sweeping down the western coast of Malaysia towards Singapore.

One division is landing in Khota Bharu, once another wave of troops lands they'll start assaulting the moderate British resistance. This will also serve as a new airbase once captured, so an engineer base force is en route. A new brigade will also be moving in to land at Kuantan. There should be only light resistance so once it falls the brigade will move westwards to Bankha to surround any British forces still in northern Malaysia. Will require coordination with the division at Khota Bharu so that the British forces located there do not retreat towards Kuantan.. which would be troublesome.

The strike on Singapore was fairly successful with 22 British planes destroyed, with no losses for me. It depends on Marky's air strategy but I think, if practical, it will be important to shut down Singapore's airfield to prevent strikes against my land and naval forces, and so he won't be able to have much of a CAP to defend against my strikes. Therefore I'll run some more large airfield attacks on Singapore (as a secondary attack, naval attacks are first priority) to see what my losses are like.

North Borneo should fall quickly from a swift assault of smaller regiment sized forces. My BB task force in the region will watch their flank to keep the British battle force, Force Z, in check, if they even stay. Java is the most heavily defended area of the Dutch east indies, and I plan to isolate it before invading. Once North Borneo falls I'll sweep Western and Southern Borneo as well as Sumatra and establish some powerful airfields with bombers in these areas. This should give me a powerful hold around Java and Singapore--primarily protecting my ships and keeping allied ships in check, or at the bottom of the ocean.

Two more battleships will be moving to this theater from Hiroshima-- they'll add some more force to defend my ships and provide deadly land bombardments. From Hainan a substantial number of engineers, armored regiments, and combat engineers will start transfering to Saigon to support operations across this theater as well as Burma.

A Fleet HQ, Brigade, and some engineers will be moving to Saigon and leaving Camnrah Bay almost bare so that Saigon will become the major base to start operations from. Once arriving I'll have two full mixed brigades in reserve in Saigon ready to move against any desired targets. I just need to wait for the ships transporting troops at the east Malaysian coast to return.

The far southern areas of the East Indies, primarily Sulwasi, and the New Guinea are very lightly defended and will also be targeted in this opening offensive. If a major airfield such as Kendari can be secured quickly it would help prevent any allied evacuations into Australia.

The Phillipines

[img]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1941/phillipines1.jpg[/img]

Phillipines is another early war objective, but will require substantial number of troops. 2 Divisions have made the initial landing in northern Phillipines with 4 more divisions and artillery from the homeland being prepared to join them. From Taiwan a large force of support units and supplies, adding up to 30,000 men, will also be joining. It includes 2 armor regiments, several battery's of artillery, 2 combat engineer regiments, a few small combat elements and various HQ and base force/construction engineer units.

Once all 6 divisions and support units are coordinated together in the northern Phillipines they should eventually wipe out this main area of allied resistance.

Air support will be provided throughout most of the Phillipine campaign. Their first objective it to destroy allied air presence, and then proceed with ground attacks against allied ground units.

The first airfield attack on Clark Field was a good success with 32 planes destroyed. I'll continue airfield attacks in an attempt to knock out this airfield if the allied aircraft doesn't evacuate.

In the southern Phillipines the main assault force will be one brigade landing in Davao and one parachute regiment that will be air assaulting Cagayan. Working together they should be able to conquer the rest of the South Phillipine island.

Many marine units will also be operating around the Phillipines to take the outlying Phillipine islands as quickly as possible before moving to operate in other theaters. Strongholds such as Iloilo and Cebu islands will be left alone for other units to conquer it.

2 CAs, 2 CLs, and 13 DDs will be operating in several task forces around the Phillipines as surface combat to destroy as many allied ships in the area that may try to evacuate. A Light Carrier TF of 1 CVL will also be operating here to accomplish the same objective, but from the air. Another CVL and 2 CVE will be moving to this theater to join the Light Carrier TF, which should create a powerful mobile air force across this theater and future theaters. 2 Battleships, along will several cruisers and destroyers, will also join this theater to help with surface combat and any bombardment missions. Once all allied surface ships in the theater are destroyed or driven out most of these combat units will most likely move to the Malaysia/East Indies theater to help with operations.

The Solomons/Central Pacific

In the Solomons several small marine units will begin conquering bases north of Rabaul and bases across the island of Rabaul. Once this is accomplished these forces will wait for reinforcements before making an assault on Rabaul itself.

In the Central Pacific marine units will begin conquering as many islands south and south west towards Noumea. Engineer units will also be organized from the home islands to move to several important bases that are conquered to start building them up. Various cruisers and DDs will help with this.

Wake Island fell on the first assault! Going to move in some engineers to build up the airfield and set up some patrol planes.

And finally, here's the strike on Pearl Harbour:

[img]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7194/pearlreport.jpg[/img]

Allied aircraft was destroyed quite nicely with very few losses on my part. Honestly though I'm not very happy with the results against their ships. Only four BBs heavily damaged. I'm running another strike to try and do some more damage, and then I'll be returning to Tokyo to refit.

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/5/2009 12:15:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: flaggelant

I tend to play for about 4 hours a turn as well, i could do with less, but i'm still afraid to make mistakes...

besides that a couple of remarks on industry & aircraft;

On the industry; you're stating that you plan to take resources & oil from China & Korea
It is important to know that in both Manchuria and China (and Vietnam, Formosa and several other places)
there are production sites. Therefore they need recources & oil as well.

on Aircraft;
I'm missing Sally (and/or lily/Helen and beyond) in your production lines did you forget about these?
out the back of my head they dont upgrade into any of the mentioned aircraft in your table

Do you use PDU? Player Defined Upgrades for aircraft?
since you'r planning to upgrade into a more unified airforce i'd say yes.
This means that you can upgrade your dive bombers into level bombers (sally/ lily/ Helen and beyond)
investing in Ann's (or any other landbased dive bomber) isnt really a worthwile investement IMO.

and a minor on transports;
i LOVE Tabby's looking at range and max load (with a huge 10K where others max out at 3K ) they outclass just about everything

And that there is A LOT invested in long term research, i don't know about other players, but that is about 3 times what i am planning to research? this is something i dont have much XP in, so we'd need someone else to rate that?

Good point about China and Korea.. I totally forgot about the industry there. I should really read up on the economical aspects of Japan, I can definitely see it coming to bite me in the ass if I mishandle it. However I think extracting the fuel from these locations to be used for my ships shouldn't do any harm.

For the army level bombers, Sally/Lily/Helen, I'll be upgrading up to the Ki-67 Peggy. They are all able to upgrade to it. The Lily just needs to be upgraded to the Sally before it can be upgraded to the Peggy. There are quite a lot of stockpiles for the Sally/Lily/Helen so I think these squadrons could stay in shape until the Peggy starts getting produced and replaces them.

Yes, we're using PDU, and it's what I'll be using. I didn't know you could upgrade the dive bombers into level bombers.. can only be done through the Ki-32 Mary so I missed that. That is extremely useful, I'll change my production of Ki-30 Anns to something else then.

Another good point about the Tabby, but I'd prefer to stick with L3Y Tinas for this line of squadrons due to their extremely far and useful range. The much more numberous squadrons that can fill up with Topsy's will do more of the shorter range (well, shorter than 21) heavy lifting.

The aircraft stated as being researched includes the ones being repaired after swiching around production. Should have clarified that. However it's true I'm putting quite a lot of research into later models, I figured the more the better. Plus I only wanted to build what I need, I don't need 500 A6M2 Zeros sitting in warehouses once they aren't being used anymore. If I have my factories working on J2M Jacks very earlier and in large numbers then I'll get them a lot sooner than historical and have a large number of factories ready to produce them on the spot. I believe every 100 produced while in "research" decreases the historical build date by a month. The historical date for the J2M Jack is 3/43. So let's say I get my J2M factories running towards research and research 500 of them (total arbritary prediction)-- that'll reduce my actual producing date to 10/42 which will drastically help out my war. I've done this with many other with massed aircraft with later historical dates that I want to get into action much earlier such as the Peggy, Tojo, Ki-84 Frank, G4M2 Betty, etc.

@ Canoerebel & SierraJuliet:

Thanks for the insight on the possibility of victory.. haha. I'll definitely be playing for the fun of it, and even if expecting eventual defeat, I'll give as much hell as I can. I'll check out John's game, sounds interesting. And yes I'm a bit of a planner, and like rooting out as many mistakes or missed opportunities before pressing that next turn button.. even then it's still bound to happen (for example I forgot to move one SNLF on transports for the second turn)-- but then that can be the fun in it.

@ n01487477 & John 3rd Yes, totally agree and thanks. I'll be very careful with my starting supplies. I should clarify I won't be building all of them at the same time, I'll be halting and restarting them back and forth to keep my supplies at a safe level.

And as far as planning ahead for the war itself goes I have a tendancy of responding to the situation at hand. This isn't, to me, exactly being reactionary or being shortsighted but just being dynamic and creating plans and looking for opportunities depending on the current situation and resources/forces at my disposal. However, this isn't to say that I shouldn't have objectives or plans in place. A bearing and direction is important. We'll see what happens in the first few month or two before I make big calls on invading India or not.

Nemo121 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/5/2009 12:34:21 AM)

Firstly, lovely graphics JohnReb.

Secondly, ANY Japanese player who wants to get into 1945 in reasonably good form needs to be planning for that from 7th December 1941.

Thirdly, The key to all of this is planning your economy and front-line trace 18 months in advance.

Fourthly, good luck [8D]

Hornblower -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/5/2009 2:50:05 AM)

Good Hunting...

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/5/2009 4:45:33 AM)

December 8th Combat Report

Malaysia/East Indies Theater:

Land:

The last of the landings at Khota Bharu by the 18th Division, but I'm not assaulting British positions until the Brigade assaulting Kuantan, to the south, has arrived. The 5th Division at the northern tip of Malaysia at Songkhla is still landing, once fully arrived they will make a move on Alor Star.

Air:

The airfield attack on Singapore was called off due to bad weather. A large formation of about 120 bomber and 60 fighter escorts bombed the airfield at Alor Star with no success. This force will be retargeting Kuantan where it's confirmed a large British bomber force is located.

British planes made several naval attacks on my naval forces, but scored no good damage. My Battleship force moving to Borneo was hit by several bombs by these attacks but took virtually no damage from them.

Naval:

Transports with DD escorts begin their movement towards northern Borneo without any incident.

BB Force 1 (consisting of 2 BBs, 4 CAs, 1 CL, 6 DDs) took it's position on the western flank of Borneo to cover transports moving in. It's next order is to bombard Kuching to soften up the defenders for the incoming amphibious assault. After this bombardment they will continue their mission to defend transports moving to Borneo.

CA Force 1 will be formed at Saigon which will consist of 3 CAs, 2CLs and 7DDs to provide protection to transports on the eastern Malaysia coast and provide bombardment support.

Japanese submarines are immediately moving to locations around Java and the western Malaysian coast to search and destroy for any allied ships.

No signs at all of any British naval task forces, it seems Singapore has been evacuated of it's ships. None have yet been sighted. No Allied submarines have been encounted yet either.

The China Theater

Land:

Japanese forces assault and drive out Chinese units in Nanchang with about 250 losses on both sides.

Japanese forces also shock attack Hong Kong for a second time, with another 1-1 odds. Combat report:

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 4
Japanese max assault: 502 - adjusted assault: 244
Allied max defense: 220 - adjusted defense: 191
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese ground losses:
392 casualties reported
Guns lost 6
Vehicles lost 4

Allied ground losses:
131 casualties reported
Guns lost 9

Another division arrives for the siege of Hong Kong so the shock attacks will continue, at this rate the fortress should fall quickly.

Yenen becomes a primary objective for upcoming Japanese offensive, many units are moving to the city's outskirts.

Air:

Japanese dive bombers report 40 chinese casualties and 1 gun lost after attacking Wuchow.

The Phillipines Theater:

[img]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/5828/phillipines2.jpg[/img]

Land:

The 65th Brigade captures Vigan and the 48th Division captures Aparri. Both fall with little resistance, and both forces now move southwards towards Clark Field. A SNLF from Bataan Island moves in to capture Laoag and is expected to take it next turn. A parachute SNLF assaults and secures Lingayen. Another parachute SNLF will also be flown in to hold this base until more units arrive. Once units are ready they will push west to San Marcelino and then begin their attack on Clark Field.

In Legaspi an allied division reinforced the area while the Kure 1st SNLF shock attacked. It turned into a disaster and 600 Japanese men became casualties with almost no loss to the enemy, the SNLF is now being evacuated and will join the smaller island grabbing campaign around the Phillipines.

The 1st Parachute Regiment lands its first wave of troops and shock attacks Cagayen. Good headway is already made with 1-1 odds and 20 casualties on both sides. Once more troops land this base should fall quickly.

Air

Another airfield attack is made on Clark Field with excellent success:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 80
G3M Nell x 31
G4M1 Betty x 81
Ki-21 Sally x 18

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 8 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 1 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 destroyed
P-35A: 2 destroyed
B-17C Fortress: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
33 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 63

Bomber forces will continue to airfield attack Clark field as long as significant numbers of allied aircraft remain there.

Land based bombers also joined the attack against allied ships in the Phillipines, but no hits were scored.

Naval

STFs move quickly to their waypoints and CA Force 3 has already made contact with dozens of allied ships, mainly transports or auxiliary. Two attacks were made with good destruction to the allied ships and no losses on our side.

Japanese Ships
CL Naka
DD Natsugumo
DD Minegumo
DD Asagumo
DD Murasame
DD Harusame
DD Yudachi
DD Samidare

Allied Ships
PG Isabel, Shell hits 1
PG Asheville, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Tulsa, Shell hits 1
AS Holland
AS Otus, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AS Canopus, Shell hits 4, on fire
AVD Childs, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AV Langley
MSW Finch, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
MSW Bittern
MSW Tanager
MSW Quail, Shell hits 1
MSW Lark
MSW Whippoorwill
AO Pecos, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AO Trinity
TK Mindanao
AP President Madison, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
AK Don Jose
AK Sagoland
AK Paz
TK Gertrude Kellogg
AK Anakan
AK Bisayas
AK Capillo
AK Compagnia Filipinas
AK Corregidor
AK Ethel Edwards
AK Palawan
AK Princess of Negros

----

CL Natori, Shell hits 3
DD Satsuki, Shell hits 1
DD Minazuki, Shell hits 1
DD Fumizuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Harukaze, Shell hits 1
DD Hatakaze

Allied Ships
PG Isabel, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AS Holland, Shell hits 17, on fire, heavy damage
AS Canopus, on fire
AV Langley, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
MSW Bittern
MSW Tanager, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Quail, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Lark, Shell hits 1
MSW Whippoorwill
AO Trinity
TK Mindanao, Shell hits 6, on fire
AK Don Jose
AK Sagoland
AK Paz
TK Gertrude Kellogg
AK Anakan
AK Bisayas
AK Capillo
AK Compagnia Filipinas
AK Corregidor
AK Ethel Edwards
AK Palawan
AK Princess of Negros

Both CA Force 2 and 3 will continue their pursuit of these Allied transports.

The Light Carrier TF also got out a sortie and found the USN CA Houston with 3 DD escorts. Sunk 2 DDs.

2 Japanese submarines are also in the area and will also try to pursue allied transports.

Transports from Siam are beginning their approach against the Phillipine islands with no incident. A large TF of 30,000 troops from Taiwan also begins it's approach to Lingayen to set up an airfield and major staging ground of supplies and support units.

Two more divisions are loaded and start moving to the Phillipines from the home islands to make landings on currently unspecified targets.

The Central and Eastern Pacific Theater

Guam is captured without any losses. The South Seas Department of 140 Assault Value will now move out to Truk and then join the assault on the South Pacific.

10 submarines located in the Central pacific are moving to Truk and will then move to operate around the south pacific and Australia.

13 submarines are moving to the US West Coast for ship spotting and convoy raiding purposes.

15 submarines near Hawaii will set up a picket line along the south west of Hawaii to spot and destroy any ships moving along this area. Check picture.

[img]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8/picketlinehawaii.jpg[/img]

A second air attack is made on the port of Pearl Harbour with excellent success.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 92
D3A Val x 98
B5N Kate x 120

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 2
P-26A x 3
P-40B Tomahawk x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 damaged
D3A Val: 4 destroyed, 32 damaged
B5N Kate: 10 destroyed, 27 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
P-26A: 3 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Helena, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DM Preble, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB California, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Dewey, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 5, heavy damage
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 1
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
AP U.S. Grant, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 6, on fire
CL Raleigh, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DMS Chandler, Bomb hits 1, on fire
PT PT-24, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DM Gamble, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AD Dobbin, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Detroit, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
79 casualties reported

Port hits 15

Very satisfying damage to more American ships with only 14 losses on my part. The BB WEST VIRGINIA also SINKS! Woo! Also some damage done to the port.

Due to this success and the low losses I see nothing wrong with doing one more strike before retiring to Tokyo. US Carriers could be nearby.. in case they are foolish enough to attack fighter CAP is increased to 50%

SierraJuliet -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/5/2009 2:08:07 PM)

Impressive overall results at Pearl JonReb especially considering the relatively low cost in aircraft so far..... Hope your 3rd day of strikes on Pear doesn't over do it.

Interesting results from the sea battle off Manila.  Seems that Marky has opted to get everything out in one mega fleet and hope for the best.  Unless you can quickly hunt down a good portion of those merchants he stands a good chance of getting most of them away.  Do you have any surface action task forces covering the bottle necks where those ships can be expected to run?

Yakface -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/5/2009 2:37:14 PM)

Hi there Jon

Firstly, love the style of the AAR.  All the detail of someone clealy suffering from WITP OCD. 

I notice that the Aleutians do not really figure in any of your plans.  IMHO these absolutely must be secured and early to avoid Allied players deciding to avoid all the defences to the south and just go sttraight round the top into Japan.

Hornblower -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/5/2009 6:43:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Hi there Jon

Firstly, love the style of the AAR.  All the detail of someone clealy suffering from WITP OCD. 

I notice that the Aleutians do not really figure in any of your plans.  IMHO these absolutely must be secured and early to avoid Allied players deciding to avoid all the defences to the south and just go sttraight round the top into Japan.

I agree on both points. Also intersted on the 3rd days raid on pearl

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/6/2009 12:13:22 AM)

December 9th Combat Report

There's a strange bug that randomly stops any combat reports from being made once the combat save is run.. proving to be a big nuisance.

Honestly things are getting complicated as I'm coordinating over 200 naval task forces across the Pacific, and it's only been 3 days! Although there's something nice about knowing so many ships and troops are moving all at once to expand the glorious Japanese empire...

Burma/Chinese Theater

My units moving to Burma are going rather slowly and mostly still in Indochina. Several small british engineer units begin evacuating bases towards Rangoon. Some headway should hopefully be made in the coming weeks..

In China the siege on Hong Kong is almost over as two divisions assault it with 3-1 odds. I expect it to fall in a few days. My units in mainland China have targeted Wuchow, Changsa, Homan, and Yenen as my first objectives.

Wuchow: Important base to push China into it's interior and also decent amount of Industry and Resources. Units are still moving along the south China coast towards Canton, where my forces are organzing. I'm also waiting for the siege of Hong Kong to end to free up the two divisions for the coming attack on Wuchow.

Changsa: Important base to push China into it's interior and very good amount of industry and resources. Most of my units around cental China are converging on this point for, no doubt, a big battle. Several of my divisions of about 1400 Assault Value have already arrived here and will begin bombardment attacks. This will probably be a big deadlock battle since Mikey can move a lot of forces to this city.

Homan: First city of two linked along the west of the Hwang river, and will be important in pushing China into it's interior. About 5 divisions from various locations in central and northern China will moving towards this city, with 2 divisions coming from Manchuria to reinforce.

Yenen: Good industry and resources at this base and the first stepping stone towards the main link of norther Chinese bases. Almost all units in the north China area will be joining in this assault as well as all mongolian cavalry divisions currently scattered around Manchuria.

Air units around China begin ground attacks and cause several dozen casualties. They will continue indefinitely since there is practically total air superiority.

Malaysia/East Indies Theater

Land:

Units are still moving to their positions before a general offensive is started in Malaysia. My brigade moving to amphibiously assault Kuantan is one more day away from it's first landings-- however the British have reinforced it! Immediately another brigade is loaded onto transports in Saigon and will proceed to Kuantan. The pleasant manuvering is now over and the offensive will begin by next turn, I'm going to start smashing the Brits with all haste. Two divisions are still moving by rail into Malaysia and should join the fight within a week. Meanwhile the 55th division in Songkhla has been fully unloaded and will start moving to assault Alor Star. The 18th division in Khota Bharu will start it's first deliberate attack to test defenses and then mostly likely proceed with shock & pursue attacks. The 21st mixed brigade landing in Kuantuan next turn will probe the British defenses until the 23rd mixed brigade also lands and joins the fight. Once both brigades are together they'll make their assault to push back the brits and capture the base.

Meanwhile transports en route to Borneo are making good progress with a few ships likely to arrive at their objectives next turn and unload the troops.

Air:

Once again bad weather prevents an airfield strike on Singapore.. this isn't good. I want to start knocking out this airfield ASAP in case Mikey decides to reinforce it. An airfield strike was made on Kuantuan with 7 British bombers destroyed with no losses on my part. I'll do another airfield attack on Kuantuan to see if I can catch anymore.

Several more british naval attacks were made. No major damage was sustained except a torpedo in the hull of the CL Kushii-- damage is light with 12 SYS and 27 Flooding. I'll still retreat it to Saigon to stabilize before returning back to the STF. I'll start providing a fighter CAP of 27 A6M2s over CA Force 1 to kill off any more naval attacks on these ships.

Naval:

Still no signs of any British ships--at all-- .. not even any signs of evacuations along the western Malaysian coast. I'm starting to suspect Force Z made a dash southwards, but to where? He could be heading to the Phillipines to safeguard transports for all I know.

I decided to call off the BB Force 1 bombardment on Kuching at the last moment and instead dashed it to refuel and rearm before moving back to the flank of the Borneo invasions. From then on they'll be solely safeguarding the invasions as surface combat, I can't risk wasting ammo on bombardments when the Force Z could pop out at any momnent.

CA Force 1 continues to guard Kutantuan as two brigades move to land there. It's currently most useful to act as a barrier against air attacks but if Force Z decides to raid them this force should be able to put up a good fight and then my Bettys will make short work of the British ships.

Finally the CVE Taiyo will be moving to this theater with 27 A6M2 fighters on it's decks. It'll be useful as a mobile CAP for my units as I operate around this theater. I decided to detach it from the Light Carrier TF due to it's rather slow speed (21)

Phillipines Theater:

Land:

Not much action as units are moving to their objectives or being transported. Laoag is captured by my SNLF force. A division coming from the Home Islands is moving in to assault Naga, and surround the allied forces in Legaspi. They should arrive in about 3 days. 2 more divisions from the Home Islands are loaded on transports and are also on their way to currently unspecified targets most likely in the northern Phillipines. The 1st Parachute Regiment in Cagayen makes another shock attack with less fortunate results at 0-1 odds and 20 casualties. More troops are flying in and they'll try it again. The brigade moving to amphibiously assault Davao is also still 2-3 days away.

Air:

Another airfield attack is made on Clark Field with good success. 5 allied planes are destroyed as well as further destruction to the airfield itself with no losses for me. Except for a few scattered CAP no missions have been run by the allied air units in this area. Either they are evacuating or I am really bashing them.

Naval:

My STFs just missed the allied transports for another surface combat, but my CA Forces are now immediately moving to intercept and block them off from moving to the East Indies(their apparent destination). A lot of destruction should follow next turn if all goes well... My two BBs(and escorts) moving to this theater are still a few days off and might not be able to arrive in time for the allied transports. However once they arrive they'll add to the swing around south Borneo and be a counter against any Force Z surprises. Air naval attacks by my light carriers brought down several ships and did heavy damage to others. One of my submarines also got 2 torpedoes into the hull of a TK. Here's a lineup of the ships sunk so far in the Phillipines:

[img]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3729/sunkphillipinesdec9th.jpg[/img]

Central-East Pacific Theater

Two BBs and escorts are moving to Truk to support operations in the South Pacific. No action yet as transports continue to their destinations.

Almost all my submarines south west of Pearl Harbour are in position.

And finally, the 3rd and final air attack on Pearl Harbour is a moderate success:

[IMG]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7871/77049357.jpg[/IMG]

Few losses once again for my planes, but this time a lot more operational losses... damage to ships was a lot less, only a handful of bombs and torpdoes made it through. 7 more damage done to the port, 1 port supply and 1 port fuel destroyed, pretty nice. I wonder if the 22 damage(15+7) done to port will affect the survival of his ships..

I think I've outstayed my visit to this lovely part of the Pacific, so I'm now retiring. I came here with 432 planes and leave with 385 planes. 1 sunk US battleship (and 1 pt boat, but who cares?), along with heavy damage to 7 others and various damage to many escorts. 105 allied planes were also destroyed. Time to go home and refit and then draw up another objective for my carriers..

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/6/2009 12:25:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SierraJuliet

Impressive overall results at Pearl JonReb especially considering the relatively low cost in aircraft so far..... Hope your 3rd day of strikes on Pear doesn't over do it.

Interesting results from the sea battle off Manila.  Seems that Marky has opted to get everything out in one mega fleet and hope for the best.  Unless you can quickly hunt down a good portion of those merchants he stands a good chance of getting most of them away.  Do you have any surface action task forces covering the bottle necks where those ships can be expected to run?

I woulda liked to seen 5 battleships sink, but unfortuantely the game won't grant that. However, I've done quite a bit of damage which will keep those ships crippled for a long time, at least.

He's started to split up his mega fleet into several smaller "mega" fleets. As shown in my previous post I'm immediately moving to intercept him and block off the bottleneck, he won't be leaving quietly if at all. My CVL's Kates have also been quite useful in blowing ships out of the water, somehow I doubt many allied ships will survive in the next few turns if he makes a mass escape attempt through the one exit in the south west. Like shooting at a hundred sheep trying to run out of one gate..

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Hi there Jon

Thanks-- but WITP OCD.. ME? ..no.. never. [8|][:'(]

Somehow, to me, the Aleutians looks like a backwater fight with terrible weather and limited bases. If he does decide to make a mass push from the north directly into Japan's backyard I certainly intend to notice the build up before it happens and put up a very stubborn fight. Maybe you are making a good point though, so I may make a limited assault to secure some of the most forward bases.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

I agree on both points. Also intersted on the 3rd days raid on pearl

As can be seen it wasn't terribly successful with only a handful more bombs and torpedoes getting through, but I didn't take any really heavy hits so it was a fair attempt.

Hornblower -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/6/2009 4:04:54 AM)

Progressive Flooding might well be your friend...

jonreb31 -> RE: JonReb vs Marky - The Glory of Japan! (5/6/2009 7:32:39 AM)

Have run two turns with some good results. Will follow with reports later, for now I want to amp up the taste a little.

December 11th, 1941

Aboard the flagship CV Kaga
Course: Due North West to Tokyo.
Attached to: Kido Butai 1st Air Fleet
Orders: Return to Tokyo for refit and further orders.

--In the Kaga command bridge--

Nagumo: No, we will not attack Pearl Harbour a fourth time! We've done all the damage we can, and the US carriers could be in the area by now. We've stayed long enough.
Fuchida:We could have sunk several more battleships, we could have destroyed the repair facilities, and we could have destroyed a large amount of fuel making the Americans almost useless--I saw it myself, an entire warehouse went up in flames--
Nagumo:Enough! Fuchida, you've earned great distinction with your contribution here at Pearl Harbour, but I'm in command and I have direct orders from Yamamoto to return to Tokyo; they need us elsewhere. Even if I agreed to the mad idea of staying even longer, I am bound to follow orders and make haste to Tokyo.
Fuchida:This will be our undoing, the Americans only have two carriers, what are you afraid--
Officer: SIR! --Our float planes and submarines report one Heavy Cruiser and escorts 300 miles south west of our position!
Nagumo:Fine officer, return to your post.
Officer: Hai!
Nagumo:This is exactly as I feared--
Fuchida:Sir, this is a perfect opportunity, if this is the location of the US Carriers we outnumber and outmatch them, we can destroy them!
Nagumo:We have no choice, get to your unit and lead the way, I'll coordinate the attack.
**Fuchida rushes out of the bridge**

Tetsuzo Iwamoto:Sake has never tasted so good.
Susumu Izumi:Well, I wasn't in the attacks.. but I know what you mean.
Tetsuzo Iwamoto:That's fine, you are a good engineer. After all, if it wasn't for you my plane would be falling apart by now!
Susumu Izumi:I'm glad I was here to serve the emperor.. but what were the attacks like? It must have been fascinating..
Tetsuzo Iwamoto:It was, but I'm just glad we are finally going home--
Officer: Up! UP! Fall into your planes and prepare to launch!
Tetsuzo Iwamoto:Crap.
Officer:Hurry up, the Americans don't have all day!
**Tetsuzo rushes to his A6M2 Zero**
Fuchida:Well done Tetsuzo, we'll show those Americans! You'll be escorting me, don't worry, it won't be hard.
Tetsuzo Iwamoto:Yes sir!
**Fuchida takes a position in front of all the pilots who have lined up in front of their planes**
Fuchida:We are moving rapidly to make a coordinated assault against American ships spotted south west of us. We'll be the lead squadron, and I'll be leading you. For the emperor!
**Banzai BANzai BANZAI!!**

--Tetsuzo Iwamoto, in a A6M2 Zero Fighter at 10,000 altitude moving South west at 300 MPH.--

I think we're almost there, Fuchida is speeding up -oh when will this end, these last few days have taken years.

**Fuchida signals to drop to 2,000 altitude and begin attack against US ships**

The A6M2 roars as the rapid alltitude descent is made through the clouds, and quickly the silhouettes of 3 American ships widely spread across the ocean become clear.

Fuchida*radio*: The US Carriers aren't here!.. No matter, all dive bomber units --Attack that Heavy Cruiser!

Almost immediately after the transmission the sound of machine guns and flak guns opening up from the American ships is heard, but they're undershooting. Tetsuzo continues to escort the dive bombers at 6,000 feet alltitude with no signs of enemy air presence. Tetsuzo watches the battle unravel-- Tuchida goes in alone against the Heavy Cruiser and drops his load-- the bomb explodes directly inside the ship's command room and an enormous firey explosion creeks out of the windows. Soon after approximately 50-70 dive bombers screech down to the lonely Heavy Cruiser and 1 boom..2 booms..3..4..5.. the endless bombardment on the Heavy Cruiser commence and the smoke begins to build up--all flak fire ceises and Tetsuzo can't imagine the destruction occuring on the Cruiser. Tetsuzo loses count of the bomb hits as internal ship explosions begin to erupt across the heavy cruiser. As Tetsuzo makes a swing around to the other side of the heavy cruiser he sees the huge water it's taking as the entire front begins to slowly flood.

Fuchida*radio*:All units fall back into formation and return to base, we're running out of fuel. Good work!

**Another huge explosion echoes from the US Heavy Cruiser as the planes begin leaving**

--Back on the CV Kaga after the attack--

Susumu Izumi: Tetsuzo! What happened?
Tetsuzo Iwamoto: It was amazing, a US Heavy Cruiser took dozens of bomb hits. I lost count at 40. I've never seen anything like that, not even at Pearl Harbour.
Susumu Izumi:Wow! That must be the Heavy Cruiser that sunk, one of our submarines confirmed that a US Heavy Cruiser sank soon before you got back.
Tetsuzo Iwamoto: Good...good.

--The CV Kaga Command Bridge--

Nagumo:Well done Fuchida, another excellent attack. No losses and only two planes damaged. Listen-- we are moving south tomorrow to see if we can locate the American Carriers. Our submarines located some more escort ships. If we can't find the American carriers, well, at least we can destroy their seperated escorts with no loss to us. I think you deserve at least that much, one day of hunting. Then we'll return to Tokyo.
Fuchida:Sir! Thank you, I'm happy for your decision. For the emperor!
Nagumo:For the emperor.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI