RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Terl -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/5/2009 9:38:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

quote:

Windows XP actually utilises 3.6GB or something like that...it's just shy of 4GB.

What's 32bit OS limitation...32bit OS can maximum address 4GB of memory however windows will give you even less as it needs the rest of the memory for it's own purpose.

I don't think (pretty sure) a 32bit OS cannot access 4GB. Between 3 and 4 is the figure, though the exact figure escapes me.

It does 3.5 I have 4 on my PC and with 32 bit XP it only recognized 3 and a half gigs.

Arctic Blast -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/5/2009 10:28:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

quote:

Windows XP actually utilises 3.6GB or something like that...it's just shy of 4GB.

What's 32bit OS limitation...32bit OS can maximum address 4GB of memory however windows will give you even less as it needs the rest of the memory for it's own purpose.

I don't think (pretty sure) a 32bit OS cannot access 4GB. Between 3 and 4 is the figure, though the exact figure escapes me.

I know that with Vista 32 bit, it can 'see' 4 gigs of memory. So if you have 4 GB of Ram, and a graphics card with 512MB of memory, it will see the 512 and 3.5 GB of the Ram.

Hard Sarge -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 1:09:44 PM)

why would that be ? that 512 is not Computer Ram 

leastonh1 -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 1:16:54 PM)

Win XP Pro can address up to 4Gb RAM according to Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

But, it can only use up to 3.5Gb according to this site: http://members.cox.net/slatteryt/RAM.html

Hard Sarge -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 1:26:54 PM)

interesting, still seems silly, but...

JudgeDredd -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 2:36:10 PM)

It's something to do with the amount of available registers a 32 bit OS can utilise I think. As for MS...I'm pretty sure it's to do with 4GB in total...so 3.5GB of RAM and 0.5GB of Video ram!

Peter Fisla -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 2:44:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

interesting, still seems silly, but...

Not it isn't actually, every 32bit OS actually will see 4GB of ram...but depending on OS (example XP 32bit or Linux 32bit) will reserve some ram for its own use, also the motherboard chipset will need some space for itself for I/O processing.

Obsolete -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 9:22:36 PM)

Hmm.  I finally found my original Panzer General I CD last night.  Tried to get the sucker to install on my 32-Vista.  Nope, seemed impossible.  I also have Dos-Box here to run old Sierra stuff, etc.  Well, I can`t seem to get this to install on vista through DosBox either.

Hmm...  maybe this ****ty OS really does make it impossible.  This really infuriates me how Linux gets just about everything to install on it (yes even Win. apps), when unix is an entirely different OS that was never even made for winshit applications!  Grrrrr.

This is just another reason why I refuse to ever buy an Xbox or any other hardware associated with the M$ label.  I don`t beleive they deserve it.

Arctic Blast -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 10:16:01 PM)

I actually had PG 1 running fine sometime last year...could maybe be a driver issue or something like that??

Obsolete -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/7/2009 11:38:01 PM)

Alright Arctic, that was good news to hear.  I went and spent hours now on searching around and problem solving this issue.  Finally I got it to install (not without errors), but I at least got it playable now.  So.... looks like I will have a few long nights ahead of me now with nostalgia...

Arctic Blast -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/8/2009 8:55:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Alright Arctic, that was good news to hear.  I went and spent hours now on searching around and problem solving this issue.  Finally I got it to install (not without errors), but I at least got it playable now.  So.... looks like I will have a few long nights ahead of me now with nostalgia...

Just out of curiosity, what was the issue with it before?

Obsolete -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/9/2009 6:23:06 AM)

A bunch of little things.  And seems I had to add some sort of string of tags & flags in the conf file for dosbox to custom tailor it for PG1.  During my trouble shooting I read that it was easier to install the remake that was for Win95, instead of using my ORIGINAL Dos-Win 3.1 CD.  I was about to give up, and go download some warez, until I came across some settings that made my version work.  Now that`s ironic, Micro$oft, despite being so anti-piracy, has a tendancy to put its own clients in a spot where they need to down warez to even get their own apps working.  LOL.

Anyhow... what I`d really like to see is PG IV, but that isn`t going to happen any time soon (I dont think).  I`ve been so desperate I was debating on learning some XNA and brushing up on the new DirectX features, but then I`d be doing more coding & homework than the actual game design, besides I`m more of a graphics man now.  But that`s another story.

madgamer2 -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/10/2009 3:19:23 AM)

without a long worded explanation it Windows 7 is many thing both plus and minus but one thing it is NOT is Vista by another name. Such a statement is shear folly. The best way to explain it is to say Vista is to Windows 7 what ME was to XP. I will change but not for at least a year and 1 service pack have been released. Yes its another long road of change over, drivers, patch's, and all that other fun.
No if your happy with you system then stay with it till you have to reach that point you have to change. With me it seems to be every other new OS.

Madgamer

madgamer2 -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/10/2009 3:37:52 AM)

As has been said Windows 7 is what Vista should have been just like ME was what XP should have been. Make no mistake here because the carrot is sdtill out there just beyond your reach.
Every time they say better, faster,safer, more features, blah, blah blah. I wish they would take there time and get it right. If I did not know better I would think that MS's main driving force is to come out with OS's just to make money and fool us into thinking we have the carrot at last! We don't but there is always hope.
What is really needed is competition which will not happen im my lifetime because MS is so huge and has so much money and even if they drive any competitor out in an illegal manor its nothing to them. Power and control are what is important. Remember what they give with the left hand they take with the right. It is the only option we have or will have for a long time.

Madgamer

madgamer2 -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/10/2009 3:40:03 AM)

UH....take your meds :-)

Madgamer

madgamer2 -> RE: Windows 7 Available for Free (5/10/2009 3:53:50 AM)

Now why do ya think that Ol'MS would hand out FREE trials of a new OS/. Come now we are not children we know that MS does nothing without a reason. They know that Vista was a failure good or bad. I can't think why I mean its not like there is any competition to worry about.
I think they knew that Vista was not what it should be and there next one Windows 7 would be better just like the ME XP debacle. We have no choice but to either jump through there hoop or not, and thats all there is. I often wonder who is responsible for letting MS get in the postition they are in?....OH no I'm not
getting into that messy discussion but its fun to think on in the late hours of the night.

Madgamer

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI