AAR..Utah To The Rhine..! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Red Baron -> AAR..Utah To The Rhine..! (10/24/2000 8:38:00 PM)

AAR on the first battle in Utah To The Rhine: St.Mere.Eglise. I seldom have the time to play Scen.īs (too many PBEM), but i have read a lot of nice postīs regarding this scen. And not to forget; itīs made by one of the best [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] I desided to try to deal with this battle in another fashion than i use to do. that means, that i usually have a bad habbit to buy to many armoured units Pzīs and TDīs ( A habbit from my SP3 days ) This time i primarily focused on Inf. sup. units. 2 pltīs Greyhound. 2 pltīs M4 105mm. 1 plt M8 1 plt Flame M4A1. 2 x Mech Eng. Pltīs. This was the assult force going south of S.M.Eglise. Blocking force and rear defence: 2 sec 57 mm AT. Mech 1 sec 76mm AT.Mech. 2 x Jeep mounted Recon pltīs. The attack force moved south and through Fauville to the fare westeren egde of the map. Then they turned north to the outskirts of St.Mere.Eglise. Here they encountered some mortar units wacked them and moved on. They entered the town in the south-westeren egde with out meeting any serious opposition. Now they ran into some tuff MG bunkers, got two with CAīs from my Eng.pltīs. Still no heavie opposition, but suddenly when i got near to the center vic hexes of the town, i ran into concealled Spec.ops and Rifle.plts. whitin 4-5 turns my attack force was down to 50% [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img] The north and the south vic. hexes in the town was now within my hands, but the central hex is still not to take! Meanwhile i had set up a defencive perimeter around the two easteren vic. hexes. useing my Recon and AT units. The AUX units i used as a blocking force in the center part of the map. through out the battle, they repeled all enemy armoured and spec.ops attempts to brake throug to the vic area. In turn 14 a singel Stug. and 2 Eng. units manage to get through to the north westeren vic. hex, but their succes was short! In the next turn my 76mm ATīs, got the Stug. and a envoloped attack with my Jeep mounted Recon boyz got the Eng. units. all enemy armoured attempts from the south was dealth with in the same fashion - destoyed or pinned with the AT and then destoyed with my mobil Recon units. My center blocking force was equal succesive in dealing with Ger. armoured attempts to push through the center area. No ger. got past the 24th hex line. Around turn 14 i could commit a company sized force from the center AUX force to assist my battle weary troops in St.Mere.Eglise. Three turns later the town was mine. Victory level: 9455-1074. In spite of the decisive vic. there was times during the battle, where it was close to tip over to the Ger. especially when i was attacked by heavie armoured units both from the north and the south in the rear area. Hadnīt i sat up the AT defence, it would have been a tuff job pulling it home! Phuuu....have to remember to breath, had almost forgot [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] what a battle!!!...Thanks Bill!..Think iīm gonna wait a couple of days before i get on with the next. iīm just too exhausted right now [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Regards..Red Baron. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!! [This message has been edited by Red Baron (edited October 24, 2000).] [This message has been edited by Red Baron (edited October 24, 2000).]

Wild Bill -> (10/24/2000 10:26:00 PM)

Nice tactics, Baron! It is a breath-catcher, no doubt about that! You did extremely well, better than most. Your unit selection is very interesting. How did the flame tanks perform for you. I have found them to be really only effective in close assaulting enemy fixed positions, bunkers, etc. Their antitank capabilities have left me somewhat disappointed. Nice AAR, my friend, and I appreciate the kind words. Good luck in Carentan! Wild Bill

Red Baron -> (10/25/2000 1:37:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Nice tactics, Baron! It is a breath-catcher, no doubt about that! You did extremely well, better than most. Your unit selection is very interesting. How did the flame tanks perform for you. I have found them to be really only effective in close assaulting enemy fixed positions, bunkers, etc. Their antitank capabilities have left me somewhat disappointed. Nice AAR, my friend, and I appreciate the kind words. Good luck in Carentan! Wild Bill
Hi Bill.. The flame tanks made good use as back-up when i attacked with Inf. units first and then used them as sup. But they were most effective when iīd used them to hold gained ground, the combination of 75mm HE, MG and Flame is devastating on a attacking force. But i most agree on your oppinion regarding itīs AT capabillities - not impressive! When my attacking force reached the westeren egde of Fauville, they spotted some Ger. ACīs advancing, tried a lot of rounds to get them, but non of the hitīs was from the Flame Tanks. Actually 2 out of 3 hits was from my Greyhoundīs [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Regards..Red Baron. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI