Newbie Comments (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

ADavidB -> Newbie Comments (5/28/2002 11:45:19 AM)

I received my copy of UV today - the Canadian dealer kept his promise and shipped the game as soon as he got it last Friday, and Canada Post actually got a package from one side of Metro Toronto to the other over a weekend! ( I thought they could only do that with bills. )

It's a nice looking box and the little colored folded "cheat sheet" is nice - I have to keep referring to it for a while yet, there is so much to learn.

I was surprised that there were no "start up" instructions, but I just put the disk in the drive and let it spin. It loaded up nicely on the first try. I then browsed the directory and was a bit surprised to not find any "read me" files on running the game or what not. Only when I shut the game down and went back to it later did I realize that I needed the disk to be in the drive to start the game. ( I presume that is copy protection. )

I played around with printing out the first 30 or so pages of the manual - some on my color printer and some on my B&W printer. The color pages look nicer, but I don't have the patience to shove the whole thing out that way. ( I'm old-fashioned, I like to have paper manuals to read when and where the mood strikes me. )

I did come up with a reasonable idea for getting the manual to a better printer - I copied the file to a web directory that I have. Tomorrow I'll be able to print it out at my leisure on a much faster network printer at work.

I then booted the game and it also ran quite nicely, albeit slowly. There were no obvious problems with sound cards or whatever. And to the satisfaction of my bank account, the game ran despite the fact that the CPU in this 4 1/2 year old PC is only 233 Mhz! ( I can't afford a new PC at this time just for playing games. )

One advantage of the slow play is that the messages stayed around quite a while, which is nice for a beginner like me.

I played around with the Tutorial. Not much happened, probably do to rain at Raboul cancelling the Japanese flights. I'll have to try the next part of the tutorial tomorrow.

All-in-all, the game looks very nice, and once I get over the initial steep learning climb it appears to be a game that I will enjoy quite well.

Dave B

Adam Parker -> (5/28/2002 1:35:20 PM)

Great feedback. I'm looking forward to a hassle free install too. Very nice to hear your system specs. I'll be going a P3 500. Thought that was modern once!

Btw the manual is worth having on paper - some typos and a few confusions/errors in the writing but I think the ideas get across and will gel once I get to put them into play. VG use of diagrams.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI