RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Nemo121 -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/16/2009 7:46:16 AM)

Well, I'd take a consular position somewhere in Europe. Sure it would help any egosyntonic fantasies to join some elite unit but I think more good is done by saving lives than fulfilling macho fantasies.

As a consular official one could emulate Chiune Sugihara who saved far more Jews and others than Schindler ever did in direct contravention of his orders. Saving 6 to 10,000 people is something worth doing, no matter the cost and something I think worth emulating and remembering.

Flying Tiger -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/16/2009 1:11:54 PM)

Well, with my forum name i guess i dont get much choice. Bring on the AVG.....

But... if i get a choice maybe flying a Catalina out of somewhere in north Queensland. Beautiful beaches, plenty of sun, great surf, and not too many people trying to shoot at me!

Or if i'm really lucky, [deleted]......

Ambassador -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/16/2009 1:41:25 PM)

Judge Advocate General.  What else ?[8|]

grraven2004 -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/16/2009 3:10:57 PM)

When I was 18 I wanted to Join the USN. I was to heavy at the time and they wouldn't take me. I really wanted to be a sonar tech. So with that if I had a choice I would be a sub skipper lookin for the Shinano coming out of Tokyo Bay late in the war.[sm=character0085.gif]

jeffk3510 -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 4:50:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

Essex class carriers in PTO2 and wrecked havoc from Panama to Tokyo Bay. Best game made... period...

Yep great game, very easy AI mind you, but love the ability to R&D and make and design new ships, pity the later versions are all for the PS2.

Might fire it up now for a quick look again [;)]

I play it rather often actually. The one for PS2 wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't like the SNES one... absolute classic if you ask me. Grew up on that and Operation Europe.... and yes, the AI was very very easy, and it was very easy to be gamey once you played it enough and picked up things to exploit the game....

I can remember countless hours my two brothers and I spent in my room when we were littlle.....

Now we have harvest, and I have time for nothing else in the summers and fall with my work haha. O well.

CaptDave -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 5:07:32 AM)

First choice, along with a couple of the others, would by Station HYPO. Not very good at it, but have always been interested in cryptography and cryptanalysis.

Second choice would be some staff office that would stay at Pearl or Hickam (I'm not fussy!) and not move forward to Guam. I did my time there, thank you, and would love to go back for a visit but no desire to spend 2 years there again.

If forced into a combat unit, I'd choose whichever submarine Ned Beach commanded. Serving under Morton or O'Kane would be a great experience, but could end up ruining my whole career!

Of course, there's always the admiral's staff on Elysium, in the Limbo Islands...

oldman45 -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 4:29:26 PM)

I would want to fly A-20's for MajGen Kenny's 5th airforce. There is something about the A20 and skip bombing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/oldman44/AHistory009.jpg

Historiker -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 5:03:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Well, I'd take a consular position somewhere in Europe. Sure it would help any egosyntonic fantasies to join some elite unit but I think more good is done by saving lives than fulfilling macho fantasies.

As a consular official one could emulate Chiune Sugihara who saved far more Jews and others than Schindler ever did in direct contravention of his orders. Saving 6 to 10,000 people is something worth doing, no matter the cost and something I think worth emulating and remembering.

I didn't know this story so far. Great story, great man! Thank you for the hint!

ny59giants -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 5:38:47 PM)

I was in the USN from 77 thru 83 as an Electronics Tech.

#1 - CO of "Big Bad Boise" She has caused a lot of mayhem in WITP for the first few months of the war. [:)]
#2 - CO of a Gato Class sub (I worked on SSBN for about 3 years).
#3 - CO of a P-38 group (I still want flying privileges). [:D]

Ursa MAior -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 5:39:31 PM)

You can guess. [;)]

morganbj -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 6:16:02 PM)

On that pink sub with all the army nurses.  [8D]

DivePac88 -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 6:31:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Don’t you mean Air Force Nurses, you can actually hold a conversation with Air Force Nurses, did you know.[;)]

DivePac88 -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 6:32:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

You can guess. [;)]

No give us a clue. [:D]

Historiker -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/19/2009 8:33:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

but please be careful not to sink my truck! [:D]

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: If you were in WitP...How would you want to serve? (6/22/2009 3:07:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorm

In the 534th Independant Beer Testing and Evaluation Unit based in Tahati

Same unit but bikini inspection detachment. [8D]

I am the CO of this unit in WITP (see my sig pic). I may approve a transfer request - what do you offer? [;)]

As for the real war, I would have wanted to serve as one of the official historians of the US Armed Forces. They were embedded with combat units to witness the events about which they would later write. Research Assistant to Samuel Eliot Morison would have been fine.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI