RE: supply sources (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition

morganbj -> RE: supply sources (6/28/2009 4:17:52 PM)

I have the 128th Militia in Zurich, an X Province. The militia unit draws supply from the city.

[image]local://upfiles/26136/0BB2C835B2F94E759BE3696616C666D1.jpg[/image]

morganbj -> RE: supply sources (6/28/2009 4:19:05 PM)

I move the unit into the countryside. It forages.

[image]local://upfiles/26136/2FC3FAE244724A2B8457CAD27D28DC15.jpg[/image]

Mus -> RE: supply sources (6/28/2009 11:08:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

No, I think you're in supply in the city, and you can forage.

Ah, you were talking about units in garrison.

morganbj -> RE: supply sources (6/29/2009 1:13:10 PM)

Yeah, read my post again, it says:

"There is still supply in the city and, of course, you can forage."

So, to say that units are always out of supply in X provinces is demonstrably incorrect (as I just did with my last two posts).  Supply is highly restricted, but in Zurich you can have upwards of 40K there outside the city, at least in non-winter turns, and another 20 or so in the city, depending on how many Wall developments are currently there.  That's all I've been saying.  Can you post the Grande Armee there long term?  Not without losing your shorts.

Russian Guard -> RE: supply sources (6/29/2009 6:03:40 PM)

quote:

Yeah, read my post again, it says:

"There is still supply in the city and, of course, you can forage."

So, to say that units are always out of supply in X provinces is demonstrably incorrect (as I just did with my last two posts).  Supply is highly restricted, but in Zurich you can have upwards of 40K there outside the city, at least in non-winter turns, and another 20 or so in the city, depending on how many Wall developments are currently there.  That's all I've been saying.  Can you post the Grande Armee there long term?  Not without losing your shorts.

This is one of those truths that isn't accurate given the context. Yes, a garrison is able to draw supply from the city it is in. In context, the player was concerned with forces/Armies outside the city in the Province, and in that context - foraging is not supply, it is foraging - you are _always_ out of supply in a red x province, because you cannot draw supply from any source.

morganbj -> RE: supply sources (6/29/2009 7:58:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russian Guard

You cannot draw supply into or through a red "X" province, period, even if a depot is adjacent. You are _always_ out of supply in a red "x" province, regardless of all other considerations.

Well, let's review your statement, shall we? You said that units are ALWAYS out of supply, regardless of all other considerations. They're not. I said that units in the city are in supply and that other units can forage. I was pointing out that it wasn't neccessarily just being in an X province that caused the loss. "Regarless of all other considerations," units in those provinces will not lose men, if they are garrisoned and under the weather-related forage limit.

Go back and read what I said.

Russian Guard -> RE: supply sources (6/29/2009 9:07:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russian Guard

You cannot draw supply into or through a red "X" province, period, even if a depot is adjacent. You are _always_ out of supply in a red "x" province, regardless of all other considerations.

Well, let's review your statement, shall we? You said that units are ALWAYS out of supply, regardless of all other considerations. They're not. I said that units in the city are in supply and that other units can forage. I was pointing out that it wasn't neccessarily just being in an X province that caused the loss. "Regarless of all other considerations," units in those provinces will not lose men, if they are garrisoned and under the weather-related forage limit.

Go back and read what I said.

No need to get defensive. Allow me restate, with obvious context included:

"You cannot draw supply into or through a red "X" province, period, even if a depot is adjacent. You are _always_ out of supply in a red "x" province, OUTSIDE THE CITY, regardless of all other considerations. Foraging is not supply."

Garrison supply was a distinction not asked about, as the post "Ah, you were talking about units in garrison." made clear.

morganbj -> RE: supply sources (6/30/2009 2:04:41 PM)

Well, the context had something to do with why a poster lost a lot of men in an X province.  A wrong impression seemed to be materializing, from several posts, that the results were very large because no supply was possible.  I was just trying to make sure that the poster understood that not every unit was subject to attrition, because some could get supply in the city (as a direct response to "no supply is possible"), while others could forage.  So, the heavy losses had to be because a large number of units, over the forage limit, were in the province, and they were there in winter.  The heavy losses were from having too many units, not just because there were units there.  Had there been fewer units there, no losses might have been realized at all.  That was my point.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI