So many questions, so little time (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support

Vicconius -> So many questions, so little time (6/14/2009 3:32:12 PM)

Thanks JT & Matrix for re releasing what is still my favorite PC game. Formerly a Squad Leader junky, I find the same attraction/addiction now with JTCS that I did with SL so many years ago.

I have so many questions however, that I hope someone can help me with, so here goes.

First, why does JTCS change the color of my Windows browser? It's not a big deal, but can sometimes gets annoying.

Second, I have read that adding music to the game requires files converted to .ogg format, simple enough, but where do the new files go exactly?

Third, Would it be possible to add some sort of 'trigger' mechanism to use with DYO scenarios? For example, to trigger reinforcements arrival when an objective changes hands.

Lastly, for now, is it possible to edit maps larger than 400 x 400? I cannot save a map file larger than this size.

Thanks in advance for any help with these first few questions. I'm sure I will have more, but this will suffice for now.

Again thanks for bringing this game back to full life. I tried for years to get my W98 version games to work (EFII & WF) with no success. I subscribed to Yahoo games just to play EFII before they removed it from their games list (#@%&#!!!) But now I have my fav game back and couldn't be happier :D

TAIL GUNNER -> RE: So many questions, so little time (6/14/2009 10:48:40 PM)

Hello Vicconius and welcome to the forums.

I'll take a stab at your questions.

quote:

First, why does JTCS change the color of my Windows browser? It's not a big deal, but can sometimes gets annoying.

I've only seen this happen if the program is not exited properly....like a crash.

quote:

Second, I have read that adding music to the game requires files converted to .ogg format, simple enough, but where do the new files go exactly?

They would go into the main directory of each game. (i.e. C:/Matrix Games/John Tiller's Campaign Series/West Front/).

quote:

Third, Would it be possible to add some sort of 'trigger' mechanism to use with DYO scenarios? For example, to trigger reinforcements arrival when an objective changes hands.

I'd love to see this too....and I actually asked Jason about it some time ago. "It's on the wish list."

quote:

Lastly, for now, is it possible to edit maps larger than 400 x 400? I cannot save a map file larger than this size.

This one I'm not so sure about. But I *think* the vertical number of hexes can be any number while the horizontal is maxed out at 400.

Take care,
ChadG

Vicconius -> RE: So many questions, so little time (6/15/2009 3:21:26 PM)

Thank you for the prompt reply Juggalo.

I get an olive background in my browser windows anytime I play the game, but as I said, it's not a big deal and closing the browser and reopening it fixes it.

I find the music in this game inspirational, I don't know why, but after losing access to the game, I researched and found all of the original game scores, plus so many other good military marches along the way.

The editors, IMO make the game.  I find myself editing every game I enjoy (including COH and Valve's DODS) and spend as much or more time preparing and building my own scenarios as I do playing them.  The editor for these games is very simple and easy to follow, allowing for some interesting combinations, and a contributing factor to my semi non existant RL.

Now here's a few more, if anyone's got an answer...

Where can I find unit discriptions and specifics on some of the newest units?  Specifically the supply train cars (which I haven't figured out what they do), as well as the many new formations for the engineers?  I have found the bridging units to be most useful on my mega scenarios, but some of the others, I'm just not sure what their capabilities are and how I should use them.

Is anyone producing custom hexes (cities, towns, villages, etc) and is this even possible?  If it is, I'm sure I will end up there at some point, just hoping for a point in the right direction on where to find it.

The OOB editer is a great way to lose many hours of your life, I know this for fact.  It would have been nice to have a (parenthesis) name given for the vehicles, it took far too long to finally find the Ferdinan/Elephant.  What is the source for the units make up and strengths?  Are the values changed from the original games release as I still have  my original telephone book sized  Talonsoft players guides from the first releases of these games?

Again, thanks in advance for any help on these questions.  I feel like such a noob around here ;)  just trying to catch up to speed on everything JTCS related.

TAIL GUNNER -> RE: So many questions, so little time (6/15/2009 10:27:17 PM)

quote:

Thank you for the prompt reply Juggalo.

Glad to help.

quote:

I get an olive background in my browser windows anytime I play the game, but as I said, it's not a big deal and closing the browser and reopening it fixes it.

Oh, you're alt-tabbing out of the game while it is running?

quote:

I find the music in this game inspirational, I don't know why, but after losing access to the game, I researched and found all of the original game scores, plus so many other good military marches along the way.

Myself, I can't stand music while I play games.....background battle sounds are nice though.

quote:

Where can I find unit discriptions and specifics on some of the newest units? Specifically the supply train cars (which I haven't figured out what they do), as well as the many new formations for the engineers? I have found the bridging units to be most useful on my mega scenarios, but some of the others, I'm just not sure what their capabilities are and how I should use them.

Check out Arkady's wonderful Unit Viewer. It should be in a folder called Tools if you've patched up to 1.04.

quote:

Is anyone producing custom hexes (cities, towns, villages, etc) and is this even possible? If it is, I'm sure I will end up there at some point, just hoping for a point in the right direction on where to find it.

Sure it's possible. In fact, just about everything in the game is moddable. Check out Dumnorix's "PG3D meets JTCS WWII" and "Cold War" mods in the Mods subforum for a look at a radically different game.

I myself am slowly piecing together a Normandy '44 mod which will introduce many new units.

quote:

The OOB editer is a great way to lose many hours of your life, I know this for fact. It would have been nice to have a (parenthesis) name given for the vehicles, it took far too long to finally find the Ferdinan/Elephant. What is the source for the units make up and strengths? Are the values changed from the original games release as I still have my original telephone book sized Talonsoft players guides from the first releases of these games?

The values for all the classic units generally remain the same. But after you get the UnitViewer up and going you'll see that there are many, MANY new units. As for sources, I can only guess Jason uses official records, as I've seen he uses German KStN documents to craft his German OOBs.

quote:

Again, thanks in advance for any help on these questions. I feel like such a noob around here ;) just trying to catch up to speed on everything JTCS related.

It's always good to see fresh blood around here.....[8D]

ChadG

baltjes -> RE: So many questions, so little time (6/19/2009 4:53:46 AM)

Hello Vicconius,

I think I can only answer one of your questions and have a connected(?) remark to another one.

The maximum number of hexes is (horizontal x vertial) 500 x 'unlimited'. That is what Jason Petho has told me some day. I experimented somewhat with a number of (home made) scenario's. The biggest one was with a 500 (hor) x 1150 (vert) mapsize (and about 20.000 units). Larger maps take significantly more time before the hex is filled with the items I want. However, when playing scenario's with such a mapsize, the computer often runs into trouble when it is AI's turn and 'crashes', turning my tesktop into a buff colour. It is wise then to save the game repeatedly. 

Nevertheless, I think such monster scenario's make the game unplayable (like e.g. 'Campaigns in North Africa' did for the board games in the ol' days [;)]). Therefore, I will restrict myself to 500 x 500 mapsizes. This will give a playable game with less 'crashes', although some saving during AI's turn is recommended IMO.

Oh, by the way, when running large scenario's keep in mind that AI's turn can take a long time; many trucks and motorized leaders tend to use up all their action points by repeatedly moving one hexe for- and backward. Frustrating, but so it is.

I also like the creation of new scenario's even more than the playing itself.

Good gaming,

Hajo Baltjes

Vicconius -> RE: So many questions, so little time (10/1/2009 6:58:35 AM)

So I finished building my giant map, ended up at 400 X 400 hexes, and have played through about 50 turns of the 150 total.  I spent weeks (literally, lol) on the OBB and have what I'm certain is way too many pieces on the battlefield, but it makes for some nice long turns with a lot of things to do (I let the AI play while I sleep).  The only time I ever experience crashing is while using the 'go to next unit' button, and it always crashes on a unit I have already moved (which it should be bypassing).

So I have DLed the Unit viewer (nice tool) but it hasn't answered some of my unit questions.  What exactly (if anybody knows) do the supply trains & troop trains do?  I know troop trains can enter a scenario loaded, but once unloaded that's it, they cannot be reloaded?  And the supply trains, how do they work?  Are they the same as an HQ for establishing supply, and if so, what is their supply radius?  What advantages do rail engineers have and what do they do?

On to the on board aircraft.  So the smaller planes, once placed, cannot be moved and work more or less like an emplaced gun?  It would have been nice if they could move to forward positions to keep up with a moving front, wish list I guess.  The larger aircraft, cannot be rearmed?  If so, how?  Otherwise, they make great recon vehicles after they have dropped their bombs.

None of these are big issues  as I'm happily playing my game, but I was excited to see these new units, but so far, dissappointed with their capabilites and hope it's just something I am ignorant of or doing wrong.

countblue -> RE: So many questions, so little time (10/1/2009 2:48:20 PM)

AFAIK

Planes like the Fieseler storch are pure Recon aircraft, the bigger Ju 88 are "fixed" targets like "planes on an airfield" (high priority/points targets) , the Stuka are either bomb or antitank planes and can not be rearmed. All airplanes that can move can be employed as recon.

Troop trains should be able to unload/load troops and transport them over raillines. Havent really tested that so far.
Rail engineers have at present no use, I suppose the might later (>1.05) be able to lay railines or repair destroyed ones.

CB

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI