The Holy Grail of wargaming (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

Cavalry Corp -> The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/29/2009 9:26:57 AM)

Along with the WITP AE this represents the most sought after entire campaign in wargamning

If it works it will be the holy grail of wargaming

There will be many questions to ask along the way but lets say for a start the counters look good and the map reasonable ( considering how long we have to look at it ) . There seems like a departure from the boyish graphics ( shootem up or minatures style) that to me plague Matrix games - good.

10 mile hexes with weekly turns seems good and managable

Hope naval activity is included

Hope there is some politics around leaders replacement

Hope there are lots of chrome units and that breakdown capacity is extended to Divisions

Hope there are good rules on partisans

OK waiting for more news

Cav

modrow -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/29/2009 9:31:29 AM)

Cav,

I logged in based on the topic of your thread to say that the holy grail was already close by, relating (of course) to AE. Now, there remains nothing than to agree with you. Perhaps I should add that another GG WWII title, eagle day to bombing the reich makes me salivate as well. Really looking forward to all three of these games, which I consider to be "must buys". Go, Matrix, go !

Hartwig

Lützow -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/29/2009 10:09:40 AM)

Frankly, I'm a bit anxious to see this game announced for late 2009 already. There are merely a few hardcore titles in Matrix pipeline and all aim for a contemporary release date.

Having that said, I wouldn't mind if WitE get postponed to 2010. It's always nice to have something worth to wait for.

Cavalry Corp -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/29/2009 10:14:58 AM)

And you do have the nice HPS titles to play in the meantime

IMO WIE is even more complex to simulater than WITP

Cav

Ramjet -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 1:34:24 AM)

The Russian Front was the Mother of all battles in WWII. WIR was and still is a great game that I spent many hours playing before WITP came out. Any improvements will be great, but Matrix is already starting with a great product. I'm glad Matrix and GG decided to give this classic a new look. Christmas 2010 would be great!

Fred98 -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 2:15:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramjet

I'm glad Matrix and GG decided to give this classic a new look.

Different game, same setting.

It will be a U-GO I-GO game

-

sross -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 2:24:42 AM)

It will be a U-GO I-GO game

That is really too bad. I was excited until this. If it was WEGO life would be grand. Oh well.

Erik Rutins -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 3:40:27 AM)

IGOUGO, WEGO, it's still a great game by the same team that made WIR. Have some faith.

benpark -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 4:33:05 AM)

I'm currently testing this title, and can say without any reservation that the flow of the IGOUGO turn structure fits the theater perfectly.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 9:43:50 AM)

Really looking forward to this one. 1 week turns are sort of a turn off but I still will be lined up to buy this monster.
I just hope the AI is good.

Lützow -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 11:53:26 AM)

I expect nothing more or less, than WitE setting a new benchmark for east front games, where everything else has to be measured on. Like WitP did for pacific war.

And hopefully I can finally send TOAW to retirement.

Monkeys Brain -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 12:21:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I expect nothing more or less, than WitE setting a new benchmark for east front games, where everything else has to measured on. Like WitP did for pacific war.

And hopefully I can finally send TOAW to retirement.

Just a moment here [:-]

TOAW have hundreds of scenarios, to mention just The Great War by Daniel McBride which is almost game in itself!!! And where are the others???

This game can be put exactly against DNO and Fite... And FiTE does include Murmansk!

Like developers of Empire Total War (bugs, small things missing from MTW2) this developers also decided to cut corners and not include Murmansk like that is not important...It is! If this is monster game and tend to the excellency then include everything that is important...

Still I will buy this but I will say what I don't like.

So don't expect to send TOAW into retirement...

Mario

GaryChildress -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 2:57:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Really looking forward to this one. 1 week turns are sort of a turn off but I still will be lined up to buy this monster.
I just hope the AI is good.

3 day turns would be optimal to me. 1 day turns would make the game too long. But 1 week turns seem like trying to cram too much into a turn. The German offensive of Kursk would only be 2-3 turns long total. That just doesn't seem right for such a huge battle. [X(]

Still it will be a great game regardless. [8D]

Lützow -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 3:15:29 PM)

Battle of Kursk probably would be to small for the scale of this game anyway.

paullus99 -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 5:53:16 PM)

Not with a game of this scale - Kursk would fit in very well with Regiments, Divisions & Corps.

PyleDriver -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 6:06:30 PM)

Really things are working out well for our 43 game. The Soviets reserve units kick in well and make losses ugly. I would love to show some more SS's, but you just have to wait...Sorry...

PyleDriver -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 6:25:39 PM)

One more note. There is levels of viewing battles. We have a great combat screen, where the complexicy can be change, squad vs squad, or just the total troops commited with losses displayed...Guys plan on how to get the wife out of the house after you buy this game...lol...

sol_invictus -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (6/30/2009 6:34:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

One more note. There is levels of viewing battles. We have a great combat screen, where the complexicy can be change, squad vs squad, or just the total troops commited with losses displayed...Guys plan on how to get the wife out of the house after you buy this game...lol...

Way ahead of you there; I got divorced seven years ago in anticipation of this game.[;)]

comte -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (7/1/2009 8:15:10 AM)

I can't wait for this game really will be the best wargame this year I think or early next year!

oldspec4 -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (7/1/2009 11:16:56 AM)

Same story for me [:)]...

Joel Billings -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (7/1/2009 4:15:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Way ahead of you there; I got divorced seven years ago in anticipation of this game.[;)]

[:D][:D][:D]

GaryChildress -> RE: The 2nd Holy Grail of wargaming (7/4/2009 9:55:55 PM)

I have to wonder...War in the Pacific was/is arguably Grisby's best to date, IMO. A real classic and the most active forum on Matrix by far even many years after its initial release. I have to wonder if War in the East will meet with similar success. In my mind the Pacific theater and the German East Front were by far the most enthralling campaigns of WW II. I hope GG can do it. I think there is a real chance to create another instant classic here. Good luck!

kfmiller41 -> RE: The 2nd Holy Grail of wargaming (7/4/2009 10:32:34 PM)

I have a feeling Gary that alot of people who are WITP players are also Eastern Front WIR game players as well. I know i was but having changed computers so many times I stopped trying to reload WIR[:D]. Will buy this for sure when it releases.

Joel Billings -> RE: The 2nd Holy Grail of wargaming (7/5/2009 12:06:28 AM)

We hope this will achieve the same long-term success that WitP has had. I think a big part of that success was the editor and the number of modders that were able to come in and make changes. At this point I think the WitE editor may be a little cruder than the WitP editor (depends on how much time we have to make it more user-friendly before release), but I think it will have similar power in what users will be able to do with it. Altering scenairos and unit data, creating new scenarios, and modding artwork should all be possible with WitE.

GaryChildress -> RE: The 2nd Holy Grail of wargaming (7/5/2009 4:24:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

We hope this will achieve the same long-term success that WitP has had. I think a big part of that success was the editor and the number of modders that were able to come in and make changes. At this point I think the WitE editor may be a little cruder than the WitP editor (depends on how much time we have to make it more user-friendly before release), but I think it will have similar power in what users will be able to do with it. Altering scenairos and unit data, creating new scenarios, and modding artwork should all be possible with WitE.

I hope 2by3 is able to refine the editor by or soon after the release. The more I reflect upon it the more I have to agree that the ability to easily edit WITP has probably been one of the greatest successes of WITP. I'm sure the first thing that we will hear when WitE arrives is how this or that unit is missing or shouldn't be involved in the theater at such and such a time or how this or that city on the map is 10 miles off from where it should be. Perhaps there will be a "CHS" for WitE? If there is a good editor I have a strong feeling that WitE will be every bit as much a classic as WitP. [8D]

Josans -> RE: The 2nd Holy Grail of wargaming (7/5/2009 9:23:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: miller41

I have a feeling Gary that alot of people who are WITP players are also Eastern Front WIR game players as well. I know i was but having changed computers so many times I stopped trying to reload WIR[:D]. Will buy this for sure when it releases.

Have WITP testers and old WiR players in the same game seems a good combination to do a great game , arent you?[;)]

As an old WiR player I think you will enjoy the game a lot the when released because the changes for a new game must have. The AI is so good. Gary is working hard about that. Right now we have many problems to defeat the computer in Alpha[:)] Im looking for human player to test[:D]

NWT065 -> RE: The 2nd Holy Grail of wargaming (7/7/2009 9:42:30 PM)

The Holy Grail is right!
I started my wargaming career on AH's The Russian Campaign 30 years ago and its been my favourite theatre ever since. I've never played a computer game that matches TRC or Russian Front (TOAW comes close). Really looking forward to this one.

Josans -> RE: The 2nd Holy Grail of wargaming (7/7/2009 9:54:12 PM)

Sure , you wont be disappointed. Stay tuned [:)]

parusski -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (7/11/2009 3:51:14 AM)

Holy cow! My wife and I went on a LONG cruise that started on June 7. We just arrived back home tonight. We purposely avoided the internet the entire time. Look what I missed. I can't wait for this "Mother of All Wargames" to be released. What an exciting surprise this is.

PyleDriver -> RE: The Holy Grail of wargaming (7/11/2009 4:28:53 AM)

Well you won't be disapointed. We do have quite alot more work to do. Hang in there as were qweeking the game daily as more research and info comes in, and making sure it runs smooth...Were still in Alpha, and its great...Wow...

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI