Axis Production Tracker (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich

madflava13 -> Axis Production Tracker (7/5/2009 6:05:59 PM)

I know there were several players who created their own Excel spreadsheets to track Axis production in the old version of BtR... Will there be anything similar included as part of the game? Keeping track of all those factories, engines, parts, etc. can be a real chore.

Hard Sarge -> RE: Axis Production Tracker (7/5/2009 6:07:41 PM)

not that I know of

madflava13 -> RE: Axis Production Tracker (7/5/2009 6:53:21 PM)

Thanks for the reply HS...

Any chance I can drag some tips out of you for Axis production changes you'd make in your own games? In the old version, I always tried to crank up the G.55 production... What's your take on the game changes and how the Axis player should approach production?
Thanks...

Hard Sarge -> RE: Axis Production Tracker (7/5/2009 7:18:34 PM)

Ahhhhhhhh

I doing all I can to get the AI to stop building that dang plane (it is in love the the G.56 even more)

:)

basicly, the LW is going to have to pay attention, they are a lot more, goodies to build, and more stuff that can only be made for this or that, where before, one part, worked on almost everything

(Ie, the Bf 109H-2, has the following,
178 Bf 109H-2 Assembly     
179 Bf 109H Parts          
180 DB 628 Engines    

but, that is the only plane that will use that Engine, or parts, so you don't want to be making 20 Engines a day, if you are only building 2 or 3 planes a day

some planes are going to cost you more engines, then you would normally expect, the extra engines are to be seen as, parts and frame work that is not normal)

the biggest thing for the LW is it can be more of a bottleneck now, you can get it all prefect, and fine tuned, as well as you can, and one bombing raid, can ruin it

you have alot more production now, as the Allies, or the Allies in PBEM, they are going to have to ruin the LW Aircraft production, or mid war, they are going to be swamped   

but still, for the LW player, I am willing to bet, most will complain that they need more

the old production screens are still there, and if you know how to read them, they do tell you alot, what they don't tell you is any stockpile you have (still on a wish list somewhere)

also, if you are allowed to build it, it can be built, so the 219, or 154 can be built, even the 223 or 183 can be built (going to need alot of reseach though)

but, to be honest, the 109 and 190 are going to win the war for you, if you got a fleet of 183's flying, you have lost the war

Hard Sarge -> RE: Axis Production Tracker (7/5/2009 7:24:51 PM)

some planes are going to cost you more engines, then you would normally expect, the extra engines are to be seen as, parts and frame work that is not normal)

I thinking, wanting, to add in the 190C, if I do, the way I would do it, is to make it use many more engines then a normal single engine plane would need, the turbocharger was workable, but, the metal needed wasn't, so what they only lasted a few hours (IIRC they were getting about 10 hours worth of working life out of it) so it was going to be a very high Maintince aircraft, and once they were starting to get most of the bugs out, the 152 was getting close, so the C was dropped and all work went into the C instead

(you do see this alot with the LW, after alot of work, and overcoming most of the issues, they dropped it, for something else they were working on, that may be better)

mikemike -> RE: Axis Production Tracker (7/25/2009 5:59:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

(you do see this alot with the LW, after alot of work, and overcoming most of the issues, they dropped it, for something else they were working on, that may be better)

A point in case being the JUMO 222 engine that was dumped just when the Junkers people thought they had the beast tamed. There was an assembly factory standing all ready at Wiener Neustadt. It had to be converted to produce a different engine (Jumo 213 probably). I don't know if that plant ever produced any significant output.

But stories like these are by no means limited to the Luftwaffe. The Kriegsmarine had the saga of the Walter turbine-powered torpedoes. Whenever they had a model mature enough for series production, a successor model with improved performance had progressed far enough in development to justify switching all effort to the later model and dumping the one in hand. This happened, I think, about five or six times. Nobody ever said "Good enough", so hydrogen peroxide torps never came into service.

I think, though, that the Luftwaffe was the worst offender. I've got a book about avionics development that shows an incredible amount of parallel and duplicated and in the end futile work because nobody coordinated the efforts and often the LW couldn't make up its mind about what it wanted. There were cases where the developers worked a year and a half on some system, only to hear from the LW "No, we've changed our mind, throw it on the rubbish heap". However if the stars all lined up auspiciously, things could happen quickly and efficiently. There is the FuG 240 "Berlin", which was essentially a copy of the H2S. That was ready for production about a year after a H2S had been found in a bomber wreck near Rotterdam, but it was half the weight and 40% of the volume of the original, used only three boxes instead of eleven, and had as antenna a linear array of rod antennae rotating under a flat plexiglas radome that caused almost no drag and yet produced about the same radiation diagram as the original antenna. The set was never used in combat because the LW had by that time run out of bombers; an AI variant was late because the original team leader was firmly convinced that centimeter waves would be unsuitable for search radars and forbade any effort in that direction. I think only about a dozen "Berlin" AI variants reached front line units; there were, however, several more advanced radars at the prototype stage when the war ended.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI