I'm a little surprised . . . (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> World War II: General Commander

Crimguy -> I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 12:05:10 AM)

That there hasn't been more feedback on this title. I tried the demo a while back and thought it was very interesting (groundbreaking in some respects). Anyone want to post comments on the full version?

Erik Rutins -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 12:26:00 AM)

Well, it was just released a few hours ago... I think we'll be seeing some feedback soon. Have a look at the preview and review links while you wait. [8D]

Crimguy -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 3:31:47 AM)

Didn't realize it was that new. I haven't looked at the Matrix home page in a couple weeks.

Ketza -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 3:41:04 AM)

I just played the Demo and hated it.

I cant really say anything more then that.

GIveloper -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 10:17:19 AM)

???? Thanks Ketza for your feedback.

Lützow -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 11:32:22 AM)

Well, if you can handle some feedback ....

I played the demo some time ago and didn't like it either. The lack of nato counters and a historical OOB was a turn-off and I pretty hate any kind of 'hitpoint-bars'. To sum it up: for me GG belongs in the category of RTS with WWII foil and is not exactly what grognards expect from a wargame. However, for the beer & pretzel stuff I rather take Close Combat or Advanced Tactics, as those are more fun to play.

Erik Rutins -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 1:18:57 PM)

The game does have NATO counters and a historical OOB. Which scenario(s) did you play? Did you look at the options?

Lützow -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 7:23:21 PM)

I downloaded the demo which was available about 8(?) weeks ago, can't tell the exact time anymore.

Started an available scenario (don't recall the name), saw some fancy soldier symbols, hitpoint-bars, a battalion(?)-level organization and the pause-function didn't seem to work. Came to the conclusion that it does not meet my expectations and erased it from hard disk. Maybe some of these issues could have been fixed, but frankly, if my initial impression about a game is negative, I don't give it a deeper look.

In contradiction to this I spent the better half of a week to evaluate the Harpoon ANW demo, before I purchased it in the end.

Erik Rutins -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 7:34:46 PM)

Understood, that experience is part of why demos can be a double edged sword. You can play with NATO symbols instead of the 3D models. You also have organization at the regiment and division levels, including an OOB pop-up that allows you to see your OOB hierarchy at any time. You can fully pause or run as slow as x0.100 speed, which is so slow that I can't even tell it's not paused.

As far as I can tell, what you observed had nothing to do with issues that needed fixing, but rather with the fact that after a quick look at the demo you didn't realize those features existed.

Regards,

- Erik

JudgeDredd -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 7:35:29 PM)

quote:

if my initial impression about a game is negative, I don't give it a deeper look

You need to post that over on this thread [:'(]

Erik Rutins -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 7:44:04 PM)

Just FYI, here's a screenshot showing an alternate simpler Map view, also with NATO symbols enabled and the OOB window shown, running at extremely slow speed. Also, the "hit point bars" actually show unit effectiveness and current strength, which is tracked in units like men, tanks and guns.

[image]local://upfiles/9/41FC98FA0131490C87BDB792E8985DDC.jpg[/image]

Lützow -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 7:50:06 PM)

I did post in this thread and agree with Erik, that demos can be indeed a double edged sword from a sales point. Sometimes it's simply better to not release one.

However, I mentioned Harpoon to make clear, that I'm thouroghly willing to put some commitment into a demo when the game can spark my interest.

oldspec4 -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 8:33:29 PM)

Erik,

Is the x.10 speed from the game release? The Demo's lowest speed I believe is x.25. I'm an old guy and the slower the better for my aged reaction times.

Erik Rutins -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 8:37:19 PM)

Yes, the x0.100 speed is from our release version. I think the old demo may not go below x25 speed. x25 is a LOT faster than x0.100.

JudgeDredd -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 9:18:02 PM)

That does look sexy in a different kind of way...[&:]

LarryP -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 10:18:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

I'm an old guy and the slower the better for my aged reaction times.

Just how old are you? I'm 54 and I need turn based, or RTS in turtle mode. [;)]

oldspec4 -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 10:44:24 PM)

I'm a young 58, and like you, have pretty much gravitated to mostly turn based/slower RTS games.

Lützow -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 10:59:21 PM)

Listening to you makes me feel sooo young. [:D]

Anyway, I dislike reactive gameplay as well.

Toby42 -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 11:16:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

I'm a young 58, and like you, have pretty much gravitated to mostly turn based/slower RTS games.

HAH!! I'm 66 and turned based is the only way for me to go [8|]

oldspec4 -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 11:23:57 PM)

Now its my turn to feel young [:D]

LarryP -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/9/2009 11:53:22 PM)

[:D][:)][8D]

GIveloper -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/10/2009 2:19:30 PM)

40's and some more after WWII: GC... Dear old gamers: do not be afraid, speed has been reduced after some smart advice from our first honest players... It is not a tactical RTS, combats take hours.
If you use the Time Out (x5) feature is like turn based but choosing the turn activation... it is not marketing, it is how has been designed. In single players you can use as much as you want.

(And course to reduce the speed till almost stop it... but I will try the Time Out and game speed (x25), it will provide you the door for MP... yes I know many of you do not care, but beat a friend in the battlefield is a very satisfactory emotion ;)

Victor.

oldspec4 -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/10/2009 2:49:59 PM)

Playing the Demo I can actually reduce the speed down to a very slow crawl at .05 (in addition to the timeouts). This is a good feature for me personally as I'm generally not an RTS gamer.

Overall the game is different enough from other WW2 games to make gameplay interesting. My only concern is that I have to lower the eye candy way down due to my older computer specs. Not a gamebreaker though.

GIveloper -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/10/2009 3:31:42 PM)

We try to move as much to lower PC config, but the game did not allow it. There are some views (avoiding 3D models/ low poly terrain etc) quite good for old PC but till a limit... we need the huge scenario to play, and supplies + combats + AI take many resources.

Victor.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/11/2009 9:56:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Just FYI, here's a screenshot showing an alternate simpler Map view, also with NATO symbols enabled and the OOB window shown, running at extremely slow speed. Also, the "hit point bars" actually show unit effectiveness and current strength, which is tracked in units like men, tanks and guns.

[image]local://upfiles/9/41FC98FA0131490C87BDB792E8985DDC.jpg[/image]

So if I understand correctly the Soldier icons to the right- shows 400 soldiers. Same principle for the tanks and artillery. Is that correct anyone?

Erik Rutins -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/12/2009 12:20:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89
So if I understand correctly the Soldier icons to the right- shows 400 soldiers. Same principle for the tanks and artillery. Is that correct anyone?

That's exactly right.

spellir74 -> RE: I'm a little surprised . . . (7/14/2009 12:34:09 AM)

This actually looks ideal.

This to both GIveloper and you.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI