PBEM newbie seeks trouncing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted

Seagull -> PBEM newbie seeks trouncing (5/31/2002 6:09:30 PM)

After reading all of these delightful threads, I'm keen to give PBEM a whirl (after all, how could anyone resist? ;)).

I'm running 7.1 with the three patches listed in the sticky threads on the SP:WaW OOB Modifications forum.

Date and nationality are open (though I'd prefer to play one of the major powers after reading Goblin's experiences with the Romanian army).
I'd prefer C&C off. No preferences with respect to mines, artillery or air units.

Cheers,
Seagull

Orzel Bialy -> Welcome to the Sub-forum.... (5/31/2002 7:35:14 PM)

it's always good to see another person dive in.

I'm currently up to my arm-pits in games right now...but I'm sure you'll be taken up on your offer soon.

Reading the threads is a lot of fun...but educational as well. I know you're probably already aware of it...but I'll say it anyway....Look for "traits" each player lays out in their games. Sure they may differ a bit here and there but you should be able to get a basic idea of what each one of us likes to do....and it will help you plan your battles better. ;)

OK, no more pointers. :D (even the obvious ones!) And welcome again to the Pbem sub-forum....better know as the "Nut House". :p

M4Jess -> (5/31/2002 7:51:09 PM)

:D freash meat:D

I should be free in a few days if no-one else dives in!

M4 Jess,,,,,:cool:

challenge -> War, ugh. (5/31/2002 10:39:33 PM)

So, like what'd you have in mind?

Seagull -> (5/31/2002 10:58:45 PM)

challenge,

I don't have anything specific in mind... I don't have a favourite country/unit/season/whatever.

Most of the games seem to use 6200 build points and a limit of 15% on artillery.

Would you like to give it a shot on a random medium map? Choose a side and a date and I could start putting one together :)

M4 and Orzel,

I'd be delighted to play either of you once you have the time :)

challenge -> (5/31/2002 11:29:18 PM)

Good enough.

I'll take Germany. You pick the opposition and the date. Then we can set what front we're on.

Random, medium will work. Just look at the visability and weather before you send it. Nothing is worse than spending points for those great AT guns only to discover you have a visability of 2. :(

Send it to [email]challenge@austin.rr.com[/email]

For some reason, they get upset when I load large, time consuming games on the machine at work. Also, go through the preferrences list to make sure they are what you expect. I prefer historical units on, rarity on, hex grid yes/no is up to you. I usually have reduced squads off, but if you want your troops to have leave (or don't care if they deserted or are goldbricking) I can deal with that. I also usually have fast Art off as I like to see where my rounds are going, but you can pick that one as well.

Last, but not least: What type of engagement? A Meeting Engagement is usually even points; Advance/Delay usually allows the attacker more than the defender, while Assault/Defend allows even more to the attacker. The ratio goes up to allow for the fact that a moving unit is more likely to get tagged than a dug in one.

I edit to add.... Make it an even 1000 points max for artillery. That's about 16% but will make it easier to think about. What is classified as Artillery? I consider Artillery to include: On- and Off-board Artillery, SPAs, and CAS and Strategic Bombing missions (and Naval Guns, of course). If you want to exclude any of those, let me know. Large bore mortars (80+ mm) and rockets are artillery, but Infantry Guns, small mortars and ATGs are not; neither are AA and Flak units.

Oh, yeah. I may have an OOB problem now that I think about it. I am getting into a fight with Klank this evening and I need to keep this OOB intact for that. If I need to lead the others I'll do that Saturday morning.

Seagull -> (6/1/2002 12:13:31 AM)

I'll give the French a shot in June 1940 on the Western front. Maybe I can break the streak of misfortune that has afflicted them in PBEM games lately ;)

A meeting engagement sounds good. I'll be certain to set the weather and visibility such that the AT guns will be put to good use :)

Your other suggestions are all fine, too.

I'll get started on the battle and will have an e-mail off to you later today.

Cheers,
Seagull

challenge -> (6/1/2002 12:47:20 AM)

Excellent. I look forward to shooting at you, Frog. :D

Fallschirmjager -> (6/1/2002 3:11:07 AM)

You actually want to be the french?
God help you

anytime you have an opening for a game send a msg my way.

Orzel Bialy -> Goblin....Alert! Alert!.... (6/1/2002 5:05:45 AM)

another stary-eyed person has chosen the French Army of 1940!!! Noooooooooo!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nah...just kidding. You'll find them a frustrating army to command but I guess that is part of the fun. :)

Good Luck....you'll need it!

Goblin -> (6/1/2002 7:39:45 AM)

I had their numbers set to 65 and got stomped! I would demand numbers for all at 70! I would rather be the French than the early war Brits any day, set numbers or not!:)

Goblin- A Goblin sees a giant boot

challenge -> Here or there? (6/1/2002 8:21:08 AM)

Sould we put the cheers and tears here or start a new thread for this? I would think here, but since this was basically the "come kill me" request, I wonder.

Goblin -> (6/1/2002 8:28:43 AM)

Start a thread! Give it a snappy title! Hurry, we want to read it!

Goblin- A Goblin loves DAR's:D

chief -> (6/1/2002 1:10:36 PM)

Talk about a lamb going to the slaughter, au revoir mon ami. May the farce be with you. You do know where the f9 button is don't you ? Well you got guts young man, good luck. I'll be watching this.:eek: :rolleyes: :D :cool:

challenge -> (6/2/2002 5:21:56 AM)

Seagull,

Did you get the files? Do I need to resend?

C

Seagull -> (6/2/2002 8:11:51 AM)

Move received and answered, sah! :)

Much driving today... 400 miles worth. However, I'm on holiday for a week, so I hope to be able to play to my hearts content :):)

I've started a new thread for the reports.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI