US Long Campaign AAR (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Billy Yank -> US Long Campaign AAR (10/26/2000 7:13:00 PM)

I've written an AAR for the first battle in my long campaign. I made maps for it, so I put it on my webpage. Landing at Safi Comments and criticism welcome. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank -> (10/29/2000 3:25:00 AM)

I added an OOB for my forces. Has anyone taken a look at it? ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Arralen -> (10/29/2000 3:58:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Billy Yank: I added an OOB for my forces. Has anyone taken a look at it?
Yes. A.

Fredde -> (10/30/2000 12:47:00 PM)

Nice AAR, especially the maps.. makes it easy to follow your actions [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Billy Yank -> (11/5/2000 2:31:00 AM)

I've added the next installment in my long campaign: Surprise at Fondouk The index for my AARs is at: AAR Page ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Dave_R -> (11/5/2000 3:30:00 AM)

Nice AAR Billy. I'm just in the process of mopping up in the self same battle. I noticed your point about the computer appearing unable to deal with large forces. I noticed during the battle getting reports that many of it's tanks were retreating off the back of the map! I must be honist, I wasn't sure if this is a bug, or if the AI is smart enough to know when it can't win, so does a fall back in good order, to reduce the level of damage done

Billy Yank -> (11/5/2000 7:05:00 AM)

Dave, I saw those same messages. One thing I noticed is that it looks like they've introduced some randomness in the movement of vehicles. I've seen vehicles move forward then move back. I think because the extra vehicles were lined up against the map edge, when they went back, there was nowhere to go. Notice that the messages came during the normal movement phase, not the retreat phase. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Viriato -> (11/5/2000 7:11:00 AM)

Hello all , real nice AAR , great maps makes it really easy to follow the moves . Like someone said , one image is worth a thousand words . All in all , rates 10 in the scale ;o) ...

Billy Yank -> (11/5/2000 6:57:00 PM)

Thanks Viriato, glad you liked it. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Dave_R -> (11/5/2000 9:32:00 PM)

I suspect that the AI is trying to execute a fall back routine, but it might not be working quite right. During my initial assault I pounded the beaches with heavy artillery and air attacks. I saw loads of those french light tanks 'H-something or others' falling back, a sensible action given the circumstances. But once I got my armour on land and pushing inland I found on two of the objective areas loads of these tanks acting as they were parked up, just sitting on the objective areas. It turned into a bit of a turkey shot, as they were reluctant to do anything, other then the odd one running away! OK their moral was pretty shot out, they were all retreating, or routed. It does seem that the computer can identify a sticky situation, an will withdraw, rather then stand and die, but after that it seems to be unable to redeploy, a pitty, because if it did, it could have led to a couple of interesting counter attacks
quote:

Originally posted by Billy Yank: Dave, I saw those same messages. One thing I noticed is that it looks like they've introduced some randomness in the movement of vehicles. I've seen vehicles move forward then move back. I think because the extra vehicles were lined up against the map edge, when they went back, there was nowhere to go. Notice that the messages came during the normal movement phase, not the retreat phase.

Billy Yank -> (11/6/2000 10:23:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Dave_R: I suspect that the AI is trying to execute a fall back routine, but it might not be working quite right. During my initial assault I pounded the beaches with heavy artillery and air attacks. I saw loads of those french light tanks 'H-something or others' falling back, a sensible action given the circumstances. But once I got my armour on land and pushing inland I found on two of the objective areas loads of these tanks acting as they were parked up, just sitting on the objective areas. It turned into a bit of a turkey shot, as they were reluctant to do anything, other then the odd one running away! OK their moral was pretty shot out, they were all retreating, or routed. It does seem that the computer can identify a sticky situation, an will withdraw, rather then stand and die, but after that it seems to be unable to redeploy, a pitty, because if it did, it could have led to a couple of interesting counter attacks
I thought that behavior was a step up. It used to be that retreat or routed enemy would simply turn around and rush back into the fray when they rallied. This way they tend to group together and wait for you to come to them. Of course, those little tinfoil tanks aren't any match for a Sherman or Wolverine, so it didn't matter so much. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank -> (11/17/2000 10:38:00 PM)

I've posted the third installment of my ongoing AAR: Guarding Kasserine This is a US delay vs. a German advance. Check out the pic I put on the Game Notes page for this one. Talk about a full parking lot. The index for the campaign is at: Index I added a section to the Game Notes pages to record the actual strength of the enemy forces. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank -> (12/8/2000 2:50:00 AM)

The fourth installment is up. Counterattack at Fondouk Also I've added a section called "The Real Story" on the Index page. These are links to the Center for Military History's Commemorative brochures on the US Army campaigns of WWII. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI