how many games.... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

goodwoodrw -> how many games.... (7/20/2009 10:05:18 AM)

Just wondering how many WITP games people have actually completed. PBEM and against the AI?

Tofke -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 10:38:11 AM)

i'm in january 44 against ia, playing since 4 years + pbem

Terminus -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 11:20:16 AM)

None. Started about 11 million, though...

dorjun driver -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 1:44:08 PM)

What Terminus said.

TheTomDude -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 2:22:17 PM)

Same here. Started a lot on allied and japanese side. Finished none. Never seen more of the game than beginning of '44.

RUPD3658 -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 3:14:48 PM)

Finished 1 each vs the AI.

Finished 1 scn 15 and one scn 8 in PBEM. Currently June 44 in my second scn 15.

Crimguy -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 3:20:04 PM)

Never finished a pbem. Never vinished a solo. Came close on my first game, but I was really just using it as a learning tool, so I didn't take anything too seriously.

bilbow -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 4:07:46 PM)

I have the great benefit of some really stable and long-term opponents, currently playing 4 PBEMs. They are in March 43, July 43, February 44 and August 44, all as Jap. I'm hoping at least couple of these will go the distance although with AE looming it might be tough.

John 3rd -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 4:42:57 PM)

Gotten into 1945 twice with Dan Roper and Paul Layne as my opponents.

bradfordkay -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 4:56:15 PM)

Never finished one against the AI (it really isn't smart enough to keep my interest), but my first PBEM (started 2 1/2 years ago) has reached June '44 and is going strong. 

Q-Ball -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 5:14:09 PM)

Finished ONE vs. the AI: March '44 auto-victory (Allies)

PBEM:
March 1945 as Japan (IN-PROGRESS)
September 1942 as Japan 2x2 (IN PROGRESS)
April 1943 as Japan (Opponent Disappeared)
July 1942 as Allies (Opponent Disappeared)
January 1942 (I quit, was a newbie)

Reliable opponents are like GOLD!

Canoerebel -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 5:23:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

No you didn't! We ended on December 30, 1944! Wimp!

Canoerebel -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 5:26:47 PM)

I've started zero games against the AI.

I've started three PBEM games:

1) As Allies vs. John 3rd:  I "disappeared" after about three days of game time because I wasn't sure what I had gotten into or that I had the time to play.  I wouldn't pick the game back up for more than a year.
2) As Allies vs. Miller:  we went to August 10, 1944 and called it a game there.
3)  As Allies vs. John 3rd:  we went to December 30, 1944 and called it a game there.

John and Miller are as faithful as players can be.  It would be horrible to play as the Allies, take a licking for a year, and then have your opponent disappear just as the game was getting interesting. 

rominet -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 7:19:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tofke

i'm in january 44 against ia, playing since 4 years + pbem

et Tofke, ça fait un bail, on te voit plus sur UV!!
Toujours aussi fou?? [:D]

aztez -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 7:25:50 PM)

Finished 1 PBEM and ended the game on spring of 1946. 1 PBEM ended in summer of 1945.

Others didn't quite make it in the end. Never actually played the AI.

jeffk3510 -> RE: how many games.... (7/20/2009 7:32:50 PM)

I've started handfuls against the AI, never finished the whole campaign.  Never Japan, but have been them in the tutorial.  Never PBEM game yet...

Jorm -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 12:46:12 AM)

Ive completed 3 against the AI

2 as allies and 1 as japan, usually over by 1944

stuman -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 12:52:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

What Terminus said.

I am new. I have only started about 15 games so far. Does it actually go through 1943 ?

RevRick -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 3:02:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yup! Started mucho. Finished zero! Usually the games fall to newmoditis!
Started two PBEM games - one crashed when I had heart surgery. Tried another one, got into it, and had a family tragedy compounded by surgically caused depression. I think I am afraid to try a third game - heaven alone knows what will happen. Besides that, with my schedule (or utter lack thereof) I may have to disappear for several days to a couple of weeks at a time with no notice at all.

LST Express -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 3:33:33 AM)

Will finish my third game vs the AI in a few months. Yeah I know, pbem is the way to go. I'll get around to it sometime after AE hatches.

AirGriff -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 3:52:59 AM)

Started several pbem's and they all fizzled for one reason or another. The one I'm on now looks like it's going to go all the way, though--we're in March '44 and still going strong.

Tofke -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 10:29:50 AM)

Ah Rominet comment vas tu depuis le temps ? la petite a maintenant 1 an et j'ai plus de dispo pour witp, je joue contre l'ia et j'ai bientôt fini la campagne (22/01/44), je vais parfois faire un tour sur le site d'UV mais il n'y a pas beaucoup d'"activité", la sortie de ae arrive à grands pas... bizzz ma poule !!! [sm=character0272.gif]

goodwoodrw -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 10:55:25 AM)

It would be fair assumption that one wouldn't have to worry about the replay value, not many people have completed a campaign more than once[:D] Pretty ironic that one of the most popular war games is rarely completed. I have had many starts no finishes.

Flying Tiger -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 11:01:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

That's coz you spend too much time on the forum, and no time playing!!

As for me, started many, only ever as Allies, and only ever against the AI. And sadly the AI has plenty of 'A', but not enough 'I' to provide an interesting game for the duration. I think my longest got to very late '43. That was my first game. I'm hoping AE provides a better challenge - i want to play with all those cool toys the Allies get in '44, '45, '46 etc!!

Mike Scholl -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 12:19:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger
As for me, started many, only ever as Allies, and only ever against the AI. And sadly the AI has plenty of 'A', but not enough 'I' to provide an interesting game for the duration. I think my longest got to very late '43. That was my first game. I'm hoping AE provides a better challenge - i want to play with all those cool toys the Allies get in '44, '45, '46 etc!!

AE should provide you with a better challange (if you play along historical lines), but the AI will always lack "I" with this program. Face it..., with the level of detail involved and the mass of units and information available, it's really amazing that the AI functions at all. Expecting it to be an effective opponant is like expecting your 5 year-old brother to give you a good game of chess.

Once you get AE "down pat", you really need to give PBEM a go and test yourself against an opponant that can react intelligently to your moves. Win or lose, it's a much more exciting experiance...

AW1Steve -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 1:24:20 PM)

3 PBEMs , 1 AI , seven by one party or the other conceeding.

John 3rd -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 5:02:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

No you didn't! We ended on December 30, 1944! Wimp!

I do stand corrected my Noble and Most Worthy Opponent!

morganbj -> RE: how many games.... (7/21/2009 8:40:18 PM)

Started maybe eight or nine, but finished 4 as Allies vs. the AI.  The last one was over in January, 1944.  (It was the Big B mod).  I'm still playing it - I want to kick Japan back into the stone age.  They're already in the bronze age. I never lost the PI (even Manilla), or even most of the DEI except Borneo (Batavia even held out!), so it wasn't much of a challenge.  But, fun, nevertheless.

I have to play the AI because my work schedule would make me a lousy PBEMer.  And, I don't want to hear gloating from somebody who beats me.  [:D]

Maybe AE will make a better AI opponent.

Big B -> RE: how many games.... (7/22/2009 2:32:47 AM)

I must admit I have never played one out (Grand Campaign) to the end. They always seem to end in late 1942 or 1943 because my opponents see the handwriting on the wall by that time. They never seem to want to hunker down in the Fuhrer Bunker and get pummeled into submission - while God sorts out the score.

I am not bitter about it - that is - I'm not bitter about not getting all of the best Allied toys to use. Actually, although I find it absolutely essential to design a game that plays out to the bitter end realistically. But for me, as a gamer, the real fun in gaming the Pacific war is 1942-1943 ... when the real issue may be in doubt.

My shortest mutually ended Grand Campaign PBEM lasted only until May 1942. It was actually my most satisfying game as well - because it was the only time I played a game where PH wasn't bombed, and I was therefore able to muster the entire undamaged Pacific Fleet, and some 1,500 US modern Combat Aircraft + several Infantry Divisions, and actually reinforce the DEI and Singapore - keeping everything but the P.I. from falling ... and drain the Japanese pilot pool to zilch in the process.

So, overall, I haven't dropped 'The Bomb' after 4+ years, but I have had MANY satisfying and interesting games, which is > price of admission.

[;)]

B

Barb -> RE: how many games.... (7/22/2009 6:15:45 AM)

Unfortunately my pbem games ended in mid-late 1942 - opponents simply disappeared once their plans were thrown bit aside...[8|]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI