Question about Invasions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

SwampYankee68 -> Question about Invasions (6/5/2002 2:57:45 AM)

Excuse the (probably) stupid question, but I could not find it in the manual, and had no luck with the forum's search engine.

For a seaborne invasion, am I correct in deducing that you only need AP's or APD's to bring your troops to the beach, and don't have to bring landing craft with the invading TF?

Thanks in advance

Erik Rutins -> You got it. (6/5/2002 3:01:39 AM)

Yes, that's correct. Troops will unload from the APs and APDs. A bit slowly if it's only a beach, but they'll get there. Much faster at ports.

Regards,

- Erik

jive1 -> (6/5/2002 4:23:17 AM)

I assume if it is a landing onto an enemy controlled port hex the unload rate will always be as a beach hex until the port is secured? Also will the accompanying supply ships just unload
supplies directly into the units landed - if so what is the max supply they can carry?

von Murrin -> (6/5/2002 4:47:34 AM)

Maybe it's just me, but they seem to be able to use enemy port facilities to speed up the offload process.

Erik Rutins -> Ports/Beaches... (6/5/2002 4:49:40 AM)

No, you don't get access to the enemy port until you've taken the base. Until then, troops and supplies unload at the "beach" rate. You can bring as many supplies as you can fit on your transports, but the more you have to unload, the longer it takes. The units will automatically resupply from what's been unloaded on the beach.

Regards,

- Erik

von Murrin -> Doh! (6/5/2002 5:11:31 AM)

You're right, Erik. I forgot that I use small AP's. :rolleyes:

SwampYankee68 -> But... (6/5/2002 5:20:40 AM)

In reading other threads, it may be better to unload (invade) on the hex next to an enemy port to avboid their costal defense batteries blowing your transports out of the water....Even if you have BB or CA gun support.... Is this true?

Erik Rutins -> CDs... (6/5/2002 5:29:10 AM)

I've unloaded successfully even with the enemy having a CD unit, but be prepared to take additional losses. Suppressing and isolating the base before landing is a good idea. Use bombardment TFs and Ground Attack / Airfield Attack / Port Attack strikes days before you go in. Use Recon as well.

If you see more than one CD unit, it'll probably be too costly to unload right there. However, keep in mind that unless there's a good road system, marching over from the next hex may take a while and fatigue your troops considerably.

Regards,

- Erik

SwampYankee68 -> Tough options (6/5/2002 5:47:11 AM)

So, if you have time, bombard/bomd the costal defenses as much as possible, and bring enough troops to sustain losses from CD at any rate. Hadn't considered the fatigue from marching over. Sounds like the decision will have to be made on a situational basis (as are most). Well, now I have a better grip on things with which to make the decision. Thanks.

legio -> (6/5/2002 5:53:21 AM)

Its always best to isolate the enemy you are going to attack both in the air and on sea.

I always put a CAP over the landing. Shoots down any incomming and also shoots down any Jap cargo planes. I mine the area and I also put a surface combat unit in the hex to stop enemy ships carrying out a surface atttack and if I have the resources I use a bombardment force. Also use your heavy level bombers to attack ground units. Your ground units should include engineers to break down Jap fort levels.

von Murrin -> Rule of thumb... (6/5/2002 5:53:49 AM)

For every CD LCU in the base, you will lose one transport per day when offloading [I]troops[/I]. CD batteries don't fire at supply only convoys.

Note: You may not have your transports actually sink at the above rate, but each one hit generally needs to go back to Truk or Pearl.

SwampYankee68 -> All great stuff! (6/5/2002 5:56:54 AM)

Wearing my pencil down here!!!

Sultanofsham -> (6/5/2002 7:17:47 AM)

When I took shortland in my game they had 3 CD units but I didnt take any ship losses. A few were hit but I would guess their lack of suppy seemed to have hurt their effectiveness since I had for the most part killed anything trying to suppy the base for a few weeks leading up to invading it. Also I had two bombardment TFs and leave bombers pounding the heck out of it durring that time period.

HARD_SARGE -> (6/6/2002 6:34:49 PM)

in my game, I tried a landing on Shortland (landed the Marines in Buin first, brought the Army up behind, planned to either send the Marines on to Buka or reinforce Shortland as needed, 15 K in Marines, 25 K in Army)

Shortland Had (found out after the battle) 4 CD units there, and 76000 assult troops, (93000 total) Marines were stopped and then sent to Buka, what was left of the Army was pulled out and landed at Jaba, all 3000 of them

but the part that made it strange, never got or seen the CD units fire, or the ships get hit, kept getting Mine hits (had been running MSW and Combat raids for at least a week before hand, up to and during and afterward and never a mine hit) so think it may of been a reporting bug (one DD either took 8 CD hits or ran over 8 mines)

some of my later duels with CD units show the same kind of damage, so am confused as to what was really happening

HARD_Sarge

The Gnome -> (6/6/2002 9:57:32 PM)

I was also thinking of invading Shortland but decided not to. After the game was over I looked at the saved game from the Japanese side. All of the guns from their CD's were out of commision at bases that had spotty supply.

It seems like the CD's suffer more than other LCU's when supply/supoprt suffers.

HARD_SARGE -> (6/6/2002 10:53:43 PM)

Hi Gnome
one of my other attacks hit a base with only 1 CD on it, but like you say, I had pounded it pretty good with airpower and had it cut off, think it only fired once during the landing

I may have to send a weak force into Shortland to have a look see, I have it cut off and bypassed, but still would like to take it out

HARD_Sarge

The Gnome -> (6/6/2002 11:01:33 PM)

I had Shortland out of supply for about 4-6 months. It had what looked to be 2-3 divisions, a Fleet HQ, a bunch of indpedent infantry, 3 or 4 CD's, 2-3 Arty Units and a ton of support.

I may go back to an old saved game and try an assault with @nd Marine's to see if that can handle the job. I'm not sure how tough those defenders will be after sitting without food for months on end.

Hartmann -> (6/7/2002 2:11:50 AM)

The problem with unloading directly in porthexes is not ONLY with the CDs harrassing the transports.

If the enemey has a big garrisson with a high assault value, it will likely shock attack you while only part of your troops are already ashore ...

That's why I hate the fact that there is no beach near Townsville. :)

Hartmann

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI