RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/17/2009 4:23:49 PM)

13-16 May 1942

Burma

Allied bombers destroyed IJA Tank Regiment in Jungle in 2 turns - no Allied unit in the hex. We need some of those terrain effects!!! [:D]

The Imperial Guards Division convoy is unloading at Rangoon - we have 84 fighters there all rested up and ready for the onslaught.

BrucePowers -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/17/2009 4:38:35 PM)

Joe that seems a bit strong for bombing. Is the development team looking at this? Just curious.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/17/2009 6:31:39 PM)

Yeah this is one of those "recurring" items - it was happening about a year ago - then we fixed it - now it has crept back in - so we'll fix it again.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/21/2009 4:47:30 PM)

17-18 May 1942

Burma

This turn the Allied Uber Airfarce hit targets around Katha - the 15 Army HQ was particularly singled out - it will take a few more turns to completely destroy the HQ - but I will turn it around and try to send it back to the rear in case it can be saved. P-38's and B-17s hit Swebto destroying one Dinah on the ground. Back at Rangoon, the Imperial Guards convoy is almost done unloading. Apparently, the Allies are not going to try to hit this comvoy. We have another supply convoy on the way from Palembang - and way back at Batavia - the 5ID is loading up to make the Journey to Rangoon.

Luzon
Our Army beat up a smaller stack at Busanga that had been preparing to bother some of Nik's Naval troops - now we will head for the big stack let up in the Mountains SE of Manilla.

China
We've finally concentrated enough force to make another attack on a big Chinese stack (20 units) near Nanyang.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/22/2009 4:57:40 AM)

19-20 May 1942

Burma

Allied bomber hordes hit Megwe this turn - destroyed two Babs on the ground. The IG ID completed unloading along with another 20K supply. A 50K supply convoy will arrive next - followed by the 5 ID convoy. And then a 100K supply convoy is headed in. Lots of port activity scheduled at Rangoon!

Sumatra, and the Spice Islands
NIk and I are running little fleets around trying to take out the zillions of dots and bases in the area - everytime I look more of them appear!

China
I think we forgot to attack with most of our troops against the big stack NW of Nanyang - we will try again this turn.

Production
Yamato arrived this turn. Also we now about 230+ Oscars in the pool, so we will probably shut off Oscar production this turn. We've pretty much reached steady state - with most of the front line fighters units flying Oscars and the training units flying Nates and we have 200+ of each. One unit converted to Nik's and this unit is part of the CAP force at Rangoon - we hope they might be "bomber busters" - at least compared to Oscars - but they haven't been tested yet.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/23/2009 4:37:56 AM)

21-22 May 1942

Burma

Allied Uber bombers hit both Mandalay and our forces near Katha this turn. The 15 Army HQ will probably not last much longer.

China
The battle NW of Nanyang continues ...

Luzon
We finally have the bulk of 14 Army in place now and will attack the final mountain strong hold!

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/23/2009 6:01:30 PM)

23-24 May 1942

Burma

55 Mountain Artillery destroyed in the Naga Hill golf course (er formerly known as the Naga Hill heavily vegitated region [:D])
Air activity saw one Dinah destroyed on the ground and one Blenheim shot down in the air. The Allies now have sufficient airpower to strike about half a dozen targets per turn. We still have insufficient infrastructure to mount any opposition outside Rangoon - which actually does not have enough AF or AV either.

China
Battle NW of Nanyang continues - we are destroying troops at about 3 to 1 rate now - which is acceptable.

Luzon
Luzon is now finally cleared of Allied forces - whew!

New Guinea
Allied air power is shutting down Hollandia even before we can get unloaded. We will be holding on to the Eastern edge of the SRA with our finger nails soon!

Smeulders -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/23/2009 6:31:07 PM)

Air power seems to be wreaking havoc on your units, could you give us some more information on them ? Are they alone in the hex that they are targeted like this ? 

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/23/2009 8:06:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

Air power seems to be wreaking havoc on your units, could you give us some more information on them ? Are they alone in the hex that they are targeted like this ? 

The first Artillery unit was in the woods by itself not moving for several turns in combat mode - it was destroyed by mostly Blenheims in 2 turns.

The armored unit was in the jungle by itself not moving in combat mode - 1 hex from Mytchina - it was destroyed by a combination of Hurricanes, Hudsons and others in 2 turns.

The 55th Mtn Arty was 2 hexes South of Mytchina in the Jungle together with the 15 Army HQ, the 55th Mtn Arty had been non-moving for several turns - it was destroyed by Hurricanes and Hudons in 3 turns.

The 15 Army HQ is now trying to move back to Katha but will probably not make it - it is being hit by Hurricanes, Hudsons and Wellingtons.

Q-Ball -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/23/2009 8:49:13 PM)

Airpower is hell, it seems, on anything but infantry units. I completely destroyed an AA unit at Katha in my PBEM vs. Cuttlefish in one turn. The unit was in Strat mode, but still.

Losing an entire armored unit in 3 days? That seems extreme.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/25/2009 5:47:00 PM)

25-28 May 1942

Aleutians

Nik put in a carrier attack against Dutch Harbor - a week early, I guess - sank a couple of mine tenders.

Terminus -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/27/2009 12:27:31 AM)

Have you patched, Joe? Still running the baseline game?

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/27/2009 1:23:50 AM)

Still running 1080 ... same rev we started on first week of Aug 09 [:)].

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/28/2009 6:27:34 AM)

29 May - 01 Jun 1942

Burma

After loss of over 50K supply in past few days - and massive destruction of LCU by uber bombers - we be buggin' out from the areas near Allied air power. The IJA is woefully short of aviation support assets. The IJN seem to be continuing to receive new base forces in Tokyo - but nada for the IJA. So we don't even have any more aviation support in the pipeline for Burma at this point - and we would need substantially more to be able to move in the fighters. Also we would need lots of construction engineers which we also have no more of. So pulling back to avoid destruction!

Aleutians
Nik is unloading 19th Division and part of 7th Division at Adak - but looks like a hornets nest - with lots and lots of American troops on board. Fortunately the Americans built up this one base out in the middle of no where all by itself with no support bases in range - so it is very vulnerable to sustained naval attack. But minefields and "Coastal Guns" as well as "Uber PTs" are taking a heavy toll.

PzB74 -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/28/2009 7:43:11 PM)

Is lack of aviation support for the IJA a realistic and historical prospect of the game?
- I've never heard that Jap fighters couldn't get into action because of insufficient ground support.

Are you guys keeping a strict division between IJA and IJN aviation support units and the respective ac they can support?

To me it seems like the Allies are operating at mid 1943 level already in mid 42.
I like a challenge but scenario 1 just doesn't let the Jap tide reach out far enough before it's time to roll it back in!

Andy Mac -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/28/2009 11:55:07 PM)

Joe I agree I am seeign the same thing under 1096e forAir to Mud lets talk off line

Nikademus -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/29/2009 3:46:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

Is lack of aviation support for the IJA a realistic and historical prospect of the game?
- I've never heard that Jap fighters couldn't get into action because of insufficient ground support.

Are you guys keeping a strict division between IJA and IJN aviation support units and the respective ac they can support?

To me it seems like the Allies are operating at mid 1943 level already in mid 42.
I like a challenge but scenario 1 just doesn't let the Jap tide reach out far enough before it's time to roll it back in!

mid 43 would be about right.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/29/2009 5:17:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

Yes, pretty strick - not 100% - but probably 95% or more. Two exceptions right now are Zeros are helping to defend Rangoon - but the port has been attacked by 4EB - and the port is critical to supporting Burma - so it makes sense to use navy to help defend the port. Zeros are NOT being used in the "Air Superiority" campaign in Burma. Second exception is in the Celebes, Arafura area. I have moved in 2 Oscar Chutai. We have discussions on going about me (IJA) taking responsibility for this area - Nik had it during the initial attacks - but plan all along has been that I will take it on the defense. So I am "prepositioning" some assets. Those are the only exceptions to the strict division at this point.

Xxzard -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/31/2009 4:07:17 AM)

quote:

And there are still many who say that AE is JFB biased.......[8|]

(mostly allied players though)[:D]

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (12/31/2009 9:00:45 PM)

2-5 June 1942

China

We finally managed to retreat the large stack we've been fighting NW of Nanyang. It was a bloody battle for both sides. Now we will re-orient our Army and try to break the Seige of the Tri-City area which the Chinese have had locked down since early in the game. Gradually this will lead to a shifting of the attack over to Southern China - as we should now be able to hold in the North.

Aleutians
Nik has the 17th Army ashore at Adak with decent supply. The bulk of KB have pulled back to refuel/rearm. The Americans have a strong garrison, but they did not build up any base within supporting range, so Adak is on its own. We are seeing more and more single "ship" task forces consisting of a YP (Yippie) here and a PT (Pitty) there. We have house rules against using lots of small TFs to bork the naval combat model but I guess this shows the deseration of the defenders!

Burma
Our LCU continue to evaporate under the aerial armada. We are starting to pull back across the front - hoping to hold around Rangoon at least until the Allies can reoccupy central Burma and rebase their airforce forward.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/4/2010 2:55:20 AM)

Well it turns out that Admiral Nik-e-sama has reported in sick - so General 'wiki-moto' will be taking temporary command of the Imperial Forces off the Aluetians (OMG - what the hecque is going on up there!) so we are certainly in for some "surprise" moves - though I fear I will be the one being surprised!!!
[:D]

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/6/2010 4:16:48 PM)

06-07 June 1942

Aleutians

We send in the Yamato Force (1 BB and some CL/DDs) to try to keep the Allies honest around Adak while the bulk of our fleet is back in the home islands refueling.
About 1/3rd of KB is standing SSE of ADAK (about 10+ hexes) to try to keep the Allies honest in terms of major reinforcement attempts.
KB fleet elements should rotate in a couple of turns.

China
We're re-orienting our "North/Central" forces more towards the Central/South" to work on breaking the seige of the Tri-City area.

Burma
The evacuation of Western Burma continues as we try to pull back out from under the Allied Bomber Armada. Time will tell if anything survives.
In the mean time another 100K supply has almost finished unloading at Rangoon as well as some more aviation support. This should at least shore up the defense of Rangoon for a few weeks.
We do seem to see movement to the North from Akyab, so the Allies may already be - starting their re-occupation of Central Burma.

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/9/2010 3:05:40 PM)

08-11 June 1942

Aleutians

On the 10th I sent in a strike from KB against ADAK, about 150 planes, but little damage was done. Meanwhile the Americans flew back in some fighter bombers, so now they have artillery and air hitting us.

Admiral Nik-a-san will be back on duty for next turn, so maybe things will improve. At least I'm been able to refuel the main chunk of KB and get them back into the AO, along with 2xBB SAGs and some reinforcement convoys. So Nik will have some new material to work with.

China
We will try our first attack in the South - we don't have many troops - because everyone is all spreadout garrisoning bases - but more will be on the way once the Seige of the tri-cities is broken.

Burma
Our retreat from Western/central Burma is still orderly, but Uber Air strikes continue to chew up the withdrawing forces. We're mostly using combat mode where we think he will be bombing so movement is slow. But we use movement mode where we think he will not be bombing. We do now detect some pursuit comming out of Mytchina for sure. Mid-1942, the Japanese never captured all of Burma (Mytchina or Akyab) and are now withdrawing rapidly before massed allied air!

Grotius -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/10/2010 2:14:28 AM)

Enjoyable AAR, gents! I do have a question about a couple of your house rules, as I'm about to start a PBEM and generally found your rules to be a sensible guide. But I don't understand these:

quote:

13 - No night mission until 1944

No night air missions at all? Is night-bombing overpowered or something?

quote:

15 - Realistic factories.

Does this mean you can't switch production back-and-forth abruptly?

Sorry for the interruption, and I look forward to more of your war. Subscribed. :)

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/10/2010 4:38:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Enjoyable AAR, gents! I do have a question about a couple of your house rules, as I'm about to start a PBEM and generally found your rules to be a sensible guide. But I don't understand these:

quote:

13 - No night mission until 1944

No night air missions at all? Is night-bombing overpowered or something?

Yup, in our opinion anyway!

quote:

15 - Realistic factories.

Does this mean you can't switch production back-and-forth abruptly?

Yup.
quote:

Sorry for the interruption, and I look forward to more of your war. Subscribed. :)

Also, I would say that post patch 02 there should be no need for the house rules against ASW Air or ASW Naval missions - we would use those missions freely, post patch 02.

Grotius -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/10/2010 6:29:58 AM)

Yep, I saw your post earlier in this thread about the ASW stuff. Thanks!

Grotius -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/12/2010 4:27:41 PM)

Hi guys,

I notice early on you said:

quote:

Many units are railing through Thailand enroute for Malaya.

But later:

quote:

Allied bombers hit Japanese troops moving in Northern Malaya,

And still later:

quote:

The Allies vent their wrath on the IGID which is in combat mode, crawling down the East Coast

Did you start by railing stuff through Thailand in strategic mode, then switch to combat mode? I'm not sure what's the best way to get the Imp Guards into the action in Malaya, for example.

Sorry for the interruption! I'm learning a ton from your AAR. :)

jwilkerson -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/13/2010 12:35:48 AM)

Oh Boy, that Malaya stuff was way back at the beginning of the game - not sure I remember all I was doing back then. I'm pretty sure that generally I railed everyone in to Singora, then used "move" mode to get them into the combat hex then switched to combat mode and just repeated this all the way down the penninsula.

The Allies did not have air superiority over Malaya - but on occasion they would attack LCU with a large number of bombers briefly. The Allies in our game - have mostly used "sniping" or "ambush" tactics - or call them "hit and run" - if you prefer - all the same in my book. Only in areas where they believe we cannnot hit back will they launch sustained efforts.

But in Malaya if a unit - like the IG was target for more than one turn in a row - I would switch the unit to combat mode while moving.

Also currently in Burma, the bulk of the LCUs that are near the Allied bombers - getting clobbered are in combat mode - but I'm taking risks with some in move mode and even a few in rail mode. Most are in combat mode.

Grotius -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/13/2010 2:02:32 AM)

Cool, thanks for the reply. :) I'm slowly catching up to your current date, so any further questions should be about more recent events, hehe.

Nikademus -> RE: Amis vs Aussies - World Domination(no jrcar or Tony) (1/13/2010 5:46:37 PM)

we like questions about the past. Recent events are depressing. [:)]

Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI