Reverse Gear (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

BlitzSS -> Reverse Gear (10/30/2000 11:27:00 PM)

Since SPWAW represents, for the most part a single unit (1 tank), it would make sense to have specific control of each armor units movement, as in a reverse gear at a higher movement cost. Being able to back down a city street rather then exposing rear armor or to be able to back into a building, so if you become immobilized you can still fire forward mounted guns are some basic examples. I don’t know how difficult it would be to implement this, but I know it sure would have come in handy a time or two. ------------------ Old gamers never die; young ones do.

G. K. Zhukov -> (10/30/2000 11:57:00 PM)

That's right. Reverse gear for armored vehicles and better night vision rules (flares, burning vehicles creating lighted hexes, etc.).

Larry Holt -> (10/31/2000 12:26:00 AM)

Both night sighting rules and reverse have been suggested before. A search would show the threads concerned. It has been suggested that this was too difficult. Personally I would have liked to see a backup button. It would reduce the movement rate to about 2mph and if the vehicle was hit with a shot, it would swap the front and rear armor values when computing the results. That way reverse could be shoe horned into the normal movement and shooting routines. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Drake -> (10/31/2000 1:29:00 AM)

As for reverse, at the scale of the game it would not really historic to have it. If you have ever read reports and stuff on AFV in WW2 you would know that they did not back up 50 meters. When they retreated or anything they turned the tank around and had the gun facing back becouse reverse was so slow and it was not reliable. Were not taking about a Abrems tank after all. Tanks of WW2 were still in their early stage of develoment.

BlitzSS -> (10/31/2000 3:13:00 AM)

This new recruit is now familiar with the search feature, which by the way works very well. Star shells and reverse gears have been discussed in detail before, proving that they are good ideas. I can only hope that they get the recognition that they deserve. It makes sense that reverse wasn’t used at length. However, I can’t believe that tankers didn’t use reverse because of engineering problems. By the 40s tanks had been around for 20+ years. Breakdowns on the other hand are quite another thing. I myself would have felt more comfortable backing off the top of a ridge rather then exposing rear armor, before a full forward retreat (strategic withdraw). A work around for the idea of reverse gearing would be to slightly decrease a non-favorable target facing calculation, in the hex that an armor unit turns, with a movement penalty. This would imply some maneuvering within the hex, before the unit takes a true heading. Currently there is no movement cost for a change of facing within a hex. Does pivoting effect target hit probabilities and target acquisition? ------------------ Old gamers never die, young ones do.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI