Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia

Max 86 -> Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (8/22/2009 4:11:11 PM)

I saw under game data that the game came with an editor. Could someone elaborate as to what one could do with this editor? With regards to mapmaking, unit attributes, VP locations etc...

Also, on another note, how many units do you start a campaign with on average (core force)? Are we talking 10-15 or 20-30? What about the end of the war scenarios, how many units can you expect to have? Ballpark number.

Thanks.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (8/25/2009 12:37:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86
I saw under game data that the game came with an editor. Could someone elaborate as to what one could do with this editor? With regards to mapmaking, unit attributes, VP locations etc...

You can pretty much to everything regarding making a scenario, map, units, VP locations. As far as unit abilities go, you can't set those exactly, but you give the unit as much experience as you want to trigger ability upgrades and the player will then get to choose the appropriate number of abilities on his first turn in the scenario.

quote:

Also, on another note, how many units do you start a campaign with on average (core force)? Are we talking 10-15 or 20-30? What about the end of the war scenarios, how many units can you expect to have? Ballpark number.

Hm, Unfortunately I just deleted my old campaign saves in testing our release candidate, but IIRC you start at around 10-15 units in the different campaigns and you could end up in the 20-25 range if you are doing well and focus on recruiting new units more so than improving your existing ones. A lot depends on what you want to recruit - air units are quite expensive, infantry not so much.

Regards,

- Erik

Ronald Wendt -> RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (8/25/2009 1:01:53 PM)

Hello,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hm, Unfortunately I just deleted my old campaign saves in testing our release candidate, but IIRC you start at around 10-15 units in the different campaigns and you could end up in the 20-25 range if you are doing well and focus on recruiting new units more so than improving your existing ones. A lot depends on what you want to recruit - air units are quite expensive, infantry not so much.

Yes, thats pretty much what its like in an average game.

Btw. the editor is exactly the one the game was done with (or better: an improved version of it) so you can create the maps and the settings you like.

Max 86 -> RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (8/25/2009 2:21:56 PM)

Sounds fantastic. Can't wait. What about campaigns? Can you build campaigns?

Thanks again.

canton -> RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (9/10/2009 2:32:20 PM)

How large can a map be created in the editor?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (9/10/2009 4:53:18 PM)

The largest map size is 50 columns by 50 rows (hexes) and each hex is about 5km in size so that's a 250km x 250km map.

Linking scenarios together in a campaign I believe is just a matter of editing up a new .cmp file, which is a text file. The developers should confirm this though as while I believe that's how it works, I haven't personally made a new campaign (yet).

Ronald Wendt -> RE: Game Editor: Whats under the Hood? (9/14/2009 7:55:03 AM)

Hello,

yes campaigns can be done by creating a simple .cmp file. It can't be done in the editor though, you need a program than can deliver plain .txt files. (like the windows editor)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI