computer wargames that ought to be made (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

ijontichy -> computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 10:46:43 AM)

What computer wargames ought to be made? What historical situations would you like to see simulated on the computer?

I'd like to see a wargame based on Cortés's conquest of the Aztec Empire. There are number of large battles leading up to the final showdown, and the siege of Tenochtitlan itself is a fascinating military study.

wilecki -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 11:38:11 AM)

Of the ones I personally would like to see simulated I remember two at the moment:

Polish - Bolshevik war of 1920, when a newly reborn Polish state with a last hope strike pushed bolshevik masses out from the outskirts of Warsaw back to Russia. This defeat delayed Soviet invasion for several years and almost cost Stalin his head, who confident of victory, for personal reasons moved some vital forces to Lviv allowing Polish victory. This war influenced Polish and Soviet command for years, Poles kept using cavalry and Stalin forever held a grudge against marshal Tukhachevsky and other generals, whom he finally got rid during 1934 purge. It was also probably the last big conflict with a massive use of cavalry as main mobile force.

Ottoman Empire knocking on Europe's east door in 16th and 17th century. I think I've never seen a game covering this.

bairdlander2 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 3:05:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wilecki

Of the ones I personally would like to see simulated I remember two at the moment:

Polish - Bolshevik war of 1920, when a newly reborn Polish state with a last hope strike pushed bolshevik masses out from the outskirts of Warsaw back to Russia. This defeat delayed Soviet invasion for several years and almost cost Stalin his head, who confident of victory, for personal reasons moved some vital forces to Lviv allowing Polish victory. This war influenced Polish and Soviet command for years, Poles kept using cavalry and Stalin forever held a grudge against marshal Tukhachevsky and other generals, whom he finally got rid during 1934 purge. It was also probably the last big conflict with a massive use of cavalry as main mobile force.

Ottoman Empire knocking on Europe's east door in 16th and 17th century. I think I've never seen a game covering this.

I think there is a mod for EU3 that has that time period/scenario.Its a mod that simulates North America/Central America in that time period.

bairdlander2 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 3:07:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ijontichy

What computer wargames ought to be made? What historical situations would you like to see simulated on the computer?

I'd like to see a wargame based on Cortés's conquest of the Aztec Empire. There are number of large battles leading up to the final showdown, and the siege of Tenochtitlan itself is a fascinating military study.

I think there is a mod for EU3 that covers that time period for North America.

killroyishere -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 3:44:33 PM)

I think enough computer wargames have been made. What they need to do now is make an ai for them.

Hertston -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 3:58:55 PM)

The two I'd most like to see would be a decent simulation of the Battle of the Atlantic, and a 'monster' strategic/operational level game covering the whole Vietnam War (with smaller scenarios as well), with decent consideration given to political and diplomatic elements in the grand campaign, at least.

And, of course, a remake of Age of Rifles. [:D]

bairdlander2 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 4:39:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

The two I'd most like to see would be a decent simulation of the Battle of the Atlantic, and a 'monster' strategic/operational level game covering the whole Vietnam War (with smaller scenarios as well), with decent consideration given to political and diplomatic elements in the grand campaign, at least.

And, of course, a remake of Age of Rifles. [:D]

HOI2 has a Vietnam war mod,diplomacy and political events are included.

wilecki -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 4:46:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

quote:

I think there is a mod for EU3 that has that time period/scenario.Its a mod that simulates North America/Central America in that time period.

I still have to try EU3 out so when I do I will remember to look for that mod. Thanks

bairdlander2 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 5:04:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

quote:

I still have to try EU3 out so when I do I will remember to look for that mod. Thanks

sorry I quoted wrong quote.but EU3 starts in 1399 (or any date you choose) so Ottoman empire is there

V22 Osprey -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 5:46:44 PM)

I would have liked a new remake or modern day sequel to Steel Panthers, which IMO is the best Squad level Computer wargame ever made.

AttuWatcher -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 8:12:46 PM)

A grognard level wargame that simulates every major battle/campaign of ancient Greece and Rome and another just like it that simulates battles in ancient China, feudal Japan, and a full campaign of the Mongol conquests.

Happily playing Advanced Tactics now because there are superb Roman scenarios. AT, while being designed for WW2, does a pretty good job of adapting to the task.

Greybriar -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 11:19:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

....And, of course, a remake of Age of Rifles. [:D]

+1

SlickWilhelm -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 11:30:14 PM)

I would like to see a wargame that focuses on the late 19th century/early 20th century: The Anglo-Zulu war, the 2nd Ango-Boer War and the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905.

Also, another vote for a remake of "Age of Rifles". 

Mus -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/30/2009 11:45:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAsea

A grognard level wargame that simulates every major battle/campaign of ancient Greece...

I would like to see a platoon/ship level wargame about the Peloponnesian wars where you can move around small groups of hoplites, light armed, cavalry etc. by ship.

Have a really good diplomatic model and make it PBEM between several players.

SLAAKMAN -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 12:36:16 AM)

NONE. There need no more wargames made for at least 20 more years. World in Flames on Vassal is all we will need for the remainder of my lifetime. Thank you. [:D][:'(]

martok -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 5:20:07 AM)

If we're talking about real-life historical scenarios, then I'd love to see a combination strategic-tactical game covering the Thirty Years War, the Peloponnesian War, and/or ancient China's Spring & Autumn period.

If we're talking about fantasy and/or sci-fi settings, then I would have to say bring on Twilight Imperium for the PC! I don't even want to think about the number of hours I've spent playing the board game....

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

I think enough computer wargames have been made. What they need to do now is make an ai for them.

Amen to that. Not that there aren't wargames that have decent AI's, but it seems like too many of them don't.

Fred98 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 5:48:10 AM)

War in the Mediterranean - Admirals edition

-

Zebedee -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 7:33:01 AM)

I'd like to see a WW2 grand strategy wargame which actually deals with the economic and logistical factors of warfare in some detail. 

Alan Sharif -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 8:41:35 AM)

Another vote for a remake of 'Age Of Rifles', any chance Matrix? Also, I would like to see games on the more mobile land battles of WW1.

yoshino -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 11:07:05 AM)

A Medieval or Baroque period turn based strategy game!
I'd want it to similar CoG:EE engine.

Also,post WW2 political level game(1946 - 1970's).

redcoat -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 11:12:56 PM)

Yet another vote for Age of Rifles.

A shameless plug for my AoR scenarios:

Montebello. 1859

Magenta, 1859

and Hastings, 1066 [:D]

Sarge -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (8/31/2009 11:23:33 PM)

quote:

Anything tactical covering FIW, AWI or 1812

Joe D. -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/1/2009 12:13:46 AM)

quote:

What computer wargames ought to be made? What historical situations would you like to see simulated on the computer? ...

Operational-level recreation of Op Desert Storm w/all historic political and economic factors, and not another 1st person shooter.

Honorable mention: all the Crusades in the same game w/a map of Europe to the ME.

V22 Osprey -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/1/2009 1:56:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

Anything tactical covering FIW, AWI or 1812

Check HPS "Early american battles" Series.

sabre1 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/1/2009 3:25:39 AM)

Tanks, and AOR.

I would also like to see a game that simulates the Atlantic Raiders, Graff Spee, etc...

redcoat -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/1/2009 11:09:00 AM)

quote:

If Howardian 1930s fantasy alt 'history' is allowed I'd like to see a game that simulates the 'Hyborian Age.' Tactical battles and/or grand strategy.

I've been looking forward to the Conan: Total War mod (Link) for M2TW, but I'm beginning to wonder whether it will ever be released.

Sarge -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/1/2009 12:33:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I have them, I thought this thread was about games to be made this decade ?

V22 Osprey -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/2/2009 12:15:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I have them, I thought this thread was about games to be made this decade ?

Well, then what's the problem?HPS updates the games to modern Status.So what you are basicly saying is that you want a game about those wars with fancy graphics.[8|]

Unless you are graphics hore, the HPS games you have are fine.

Montbrun -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/2/2009 12:22:02 AM)

The North African Campaign at battalion/squadron level.

SuluSea -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/2/2009 12:28:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

War in the Mediterranean - Admirals edition

-

I'll second this.

A real time naval game along the lines of John Tiller's HPS naval campaigns with updated graphics and cutting edge interface tools would be great too.

A Solomons air/land/sea game with 10 miles per hex.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad Hunter

The North African Campaign at battalion/squadron level.

Hey I'm not hating this either. [;)]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI