RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

dsuday -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/7/2009 6:11:15 AM)

Most of the wishlists refers to Wars which are important from an Western perspective. Since I come from Asia (india), I would like to see more of Historical Battles represented as games to try out various whatif scenarios

a) 1857 War of Independence (British call this The Great Mutiny).
b) Battle of Longawalla (or the wholeIndia Pak 1971 war)
c) Wars waged by various Chinese dynasties leading upto unifications etc...

Erik Rutins -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/7/2009 1:04:26 PM)

Hi dsuday,

Regarding B, if I recall correctly, there may be a scenario on this included in The Operation Art of War III, or at least made for TOAW in general that could be updated to TOAW III status. The engine could certainly handle it and I thought I remembered playing it.

For C, I think we all have played at some point one of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" titles and this is indeed great subject matter.

For A, the closest I've come is to play parts of this out on a tabletop with historical miniatures. However, for games that cover India and China in some detail, you should take a look at the recently released War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition, which has all of India and China and models the combat and logistics there during WWII quite well.

Regards,

- Erik

spellir74 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/7/2009 1:23:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: spellir74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

What color? [;)]

When it comes to Model Ts,

you can have any color you want.

So long as it's black...

(I can't believe it took me 3 days to catch on to that one.)

But Earl Sheib will paint it for $ 99.95....

$99.99!! Macco repainted my car for $299! What am I missing?

Macco's windshield subcontractor did a _lame_ job installing my windshield. Leaked like a sieve! How many windshields does that guy do a week?!

...Must watch everybody like a hawk. Nothing is done right anymore!

It's like that scene from the sopranos...
Tony and his daughter are kneeling in a cathedral.
[and... action--]
TONY: "You know, your uncle and his friend built this church. Yep, two guys built this whole building! You find me two guys who can grout the bathroom now."

[And scene. "Brrrilliant!"]

It's not the money. They do it again for free (messing up the paint job in the process --which they do again too for free _if you pester_. But the point is nothing ever gets off your list! It's like magic ink on paper.

And the reason the windshield needed replacing at all was another garage cracked it when they installed a simple trunk cable underneath the seats and caret. They paid for the macco job of course -BUT nothing ever gets off the list!!

It's like a plumber coming to the house...

The "FIX TOILET" line gets off the list. But you have to add "get muddy carpet cleaned!" cause in the plumber's town they apparently don't know what a welcome mat is or why there is a cement/stone walk way leading to the front steps.

Okay I'm done now.

So Earl Sheibe. hmm. okay.

Adam Parker -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/7/2009 2:01:00 PM)

I can't believe there's never been a PC "Hunt for the Bismark" or "Run the Arctic Convoys" type game.

Grand Tactical/Operational level games, full of historical character.

Geometrical and mathematical stuff that would suit code well (so this layperson thinks).

redcoat -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/7/2009 2:09:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsuday

Most of the wishlists refers to Wars which are important from an Western perspective. Since I come from Asia (india), I would like to see more of Historical Battles represented as games to try out various whatif scenarios

a) 1857 War of Independence (British call this The Great Mutiny).
b) Battle of Longawalla (or the wholeIndia Pak 1971 war)
c) Wars waged by various Chinese dynasties leading upto unifications etc...

Age of Rifles covers the Indian Mutiny and other conflicts in Asia during the ‘Victorian’ era - such as the Sikh Wars, Afghan Wars and Boxer Uprising. Another reason to update and re-release the great game.

bean5671 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/7/2009 4:02:22 PM)

because of this thread I dug up my old board games and found one not mentioned here

The Third World War by GDW it was a 4-5 game series i have 4
covers central and southern europe middle east and scandanavia
this could be used as a good start for a early to late 80's Nato Warsaw pact game

sabre1 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/8/2009 5:09:21 AM)

Shoot I'm still waiting for an upgrade to "Flight of the Old Dog".

I bet only a few of you remember that one.

bean5671 -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/8/2009 7:29:14 PM)

I know that book [X(] see plane to left[:D]

105mm Howitzer -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/9/2009 2:51:07 PM)

Ya, I got the series too, was a good game for the times. I would still like to see SPI's old Global War in pc, tweaked and polished, of course. Ohm that and an old game called Junta, a tongue in cheek look at Banana Republic politics. Loads of fun for a group.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bean5671

because of this thread I dug up my old board games and found one not mentioned here

The Third World War by GDW it was a 4-5 game series i have 4
covers central and southern europe middle east and scandanavia
this could be used as a good start for a early to late 80's Nato Warsaw pact game

Peter Fisla -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/9/2009 3:45:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I would have liked a new remake or modern day sequel to Steel Panthers, which IMO is the best Squad level Computer wargame ever made.

I believe 2by3 will work on this after East Front...

Barthheart -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/9/2009 3:59:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

quote:

I would have liked a new remake or modern day sequel to Steel Panthers, which IMO is the best Squad level Computer wargame ever made.

[&:] [X(] Really! [X(] What do you know?!? Out with it man!!!!![:@]

Peter Fisla -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/9/2009 4:39:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

quote:

[&:] [X(] Really! [X(] What do you know?!? Out with it man!!!!![:@]

I saw it in one of those 2by3 reports...though there was not date...so who knows when but it's good to know it's on the list

Jeffrey H. -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/9/2009 8:58:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Ya, I got the series too, was a good game for the times. I would still like to see SPI's old Global War in pc, tweaked and polished, of course. Ohm that and an old game called Junta, a tongue in cheek look at Banana Republic politics. Loads of fun for a group.

I had a lot of fun with both of these board games but Global War would be my choice. I think it would be possible to get something close by using AT WWII and modding a scenario for it.

Rabbitman -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/10/2009 1:57:53 PM)

One word.

Gallipoli.

ladner -> RE: computer wargames that ought to be made (9/10/2009 10:34:45 PM)

In one of the threads on War in the East, Joel Billings made an off hand comment about a "War in Europe" game. Hands down, that would be the game that I would want more so than any other.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI