mutually exclusive theater options (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

kenwolfe -> mutually exclusive theater options (8/31/2009 10:40:48 PM)

I would like to set up two mutually exclusive theater options in a scenario, one for force 1 and one for force 2. By mutually exclusive I mean that if force 1 selects its option then force 2 can no longer select its option and vice versa. The situation is a neutral country represented by an exclusion zone. The theater option is to invade the neutral country. I want the theater option to remove the zone and also activate (as reinforcements triggered by an event) formations of the formerly neutral country that are friendly to the opposite force. Clearly having both options activated would be a nonsensical result since it would activate two versions of the same army! Any idea how I could do this? I thought it would be possible to cancel a theater option by triggering a "cancel event" effect for the theater option event but that does not seem to work. The other thing is how to handle both players selecting the option in the same game turn... ideally I would like the option activated for whichever player had initiative and moved first this game turn, but again the key problem is I want to make sure that only one of these two options is activated, never both. Thanks.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: mutually exclusive theater options (9/1/2009 2:43:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenwolfe

I would like to set up two mutually exclusive theater options in a scenario, one for force 1 and one for force 2. By mutually exclusive I mean that if force 1 selects its option then force 2 can no longer select its option and vice versa. The situation is a neutral country represented by an exclusion zone. The theater option is to invade the neutral country. I want the theater option to remove the zone and also activate (as reinforcements triggered by an event) formations of the formerly neutral country that are friendly to the opposite force. Clearly having both options activated would be a nonsensical result since it would activate two versions of the same army! Any idea how I could do this? I thought it would be possible to cancel a theater option by triggering a "cancel event" effect for the theater option event but that does not seem to work. The other thing is how to handle both players selecting the option in the same game turn... ideally I would like the option activated for whichever player had initiative and moved first this game turn, but again the key problem is I want to make sure that only one of these two options is activated, never both. Thanks.

The proper way to remove a Theater Option is to activate an identical one (same side and news string) that targets event #999.

To handle the situation where both sides option at the same time, you have to sort out the events that are activated by the options - canceling the appropriate ones of the disadvantaged side.

ColinWright -> RE: mutually exclusive theater options (9/1/2009 8:18:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenwolfe

The proper way to remove a Theater Option is to activate an identical one (same side and news string) that targets event #999.

To handle the situation where both sides option at the same time, you have to sort out the events that are activated by the options - canceling the appropriate ones of the disadvantaged side.

Probably the problem of both activating at once could be dealt with by delaying the effects. I'm not going to work it out, but the events would look something like this

Event 1. TO for force 1, triggers event 3.

Event 2. TO for force 2, triggers event 4.

Event 3. Turn 99. Triggers event 7, delay 2.

Event 4. Turn 99. Triggers event 8, delay 2.

Event 5. Triggered by event 3, cancels event 8.

Event 6. Triggered by event 4, cancels event 7.

Event 7. Force 1 gets atom bomb.

Event 8. Force 2 gets atom bomb.

There may be a problem with events 3 and 4 not being considered to have occurred until the delay has elapsed. In that case, another pair of events would need to be inserted, so things would look like this...

Event 1. TO for force 1, triggers event 3.

Event 2. TO for force 2, triggers event 4.

Event 3. Turn 99. Triggers event 5

Event 4. Turn 99. Triggers event 6

Event 5. Cancel event 8.

Event 6. Cancel event 7.

Event 5. Triggered by event 3, trigger event 7, delay 2.

Event 6. Triggered by event 4, trigger event 8, delay 2.

Event 7. Force 1 gets atom bomb.

Event 8. Force 2 gets atom bomb.

...or something like that. It could probably be condensed. Once the bugs are worked out, either force taking the T.O. will cancel the effect of the other's T.O...and a further event like Curtis describes could be added to remove the opposing player's T.O. from his screen.

kenwolfe -> RE: mutually exclusive theater options (9/4/2009 4:20:03 AM)

I implemented something along those lines and it seems to work. It was a good deal simpler since in this case it was acceptable to offer the TO to one force for a certain number of turns, cancel it if they did not choose it and then offer it to the other force. Thanks for the help.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI