To restart or not, that is the Question. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

DivePac88 -> To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 9:24:31 AM)

Now that number 1 patch is out, some of us have a big decision to make with our PBEM games. Ramjet and I are only 20-turns in, more than 3-weeks worth of effort if you count the mammoth 1st turn. My biggest worry was the northern Soviet bases dying for lack of supply, but I see from the patch list there are some other major issues. So I was wondering what other players thoughts were for PBEM games, and of course AI games as just as much effort goes into them?

Thanks DP.

vlcz -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 9:52:27 AM)

"The following improvements/changes will only be immediately available if you start a
new game.
5. AI Script changes "

I will restart VS AI, no point in fighting vs a sacked old kamikaze admiral[;)]

Pobably would go on with a PBEM

TheTomDude -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 10:35:32 AM)

Yes that's no easy decision. I'm also thinking about what to do with my AI game. I really want to see all of the changes taking place, but going back after some 6-7 weeks of playing is not that easy as you know. I guess I'm just too lazy for a restart right now. There will be a time when I will start all over again and enjoy all the benefits of patch 1 and 2 (and maybe 3 and 4[:D]). But this time is not now.

Edit: I'm in mid October '42 atm playing single day turns.

jomni -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 10:48:35 AM)

I'm continuing my game vs. AI.  2 game months has already elapsed.

tacfire -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 10:58:09 AM)

"The following improvements/changes will only be immediately available if you start a
new game.
5. AI Script changes "

I assume this change is needed for subs returning to base earlier, and not running out of fuel mid-ocean and taking on ship damage, is that correct?

Sonny II -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 11:25:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacfire

new game.
5. AI Script changes "

I assume this change is needed for subs returning to base earlier, and not running out of fuel mid-ocean and taking on ship damage, is that correct?

No, that fix is in the code not in the scripts. No need to restart because of that problem. However, it will not fix subs currently returning from patrol that are already low on fuel.

SuluSea -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 2:30:33 PM)

I feel better about restarting against the AI because some of my concerns have been addressed specifically-

pilot training-
PT Boats-
Radar effeciency/checks-
I believe allied night fighting ability will be toned down some given the ships experience adjustment-

All those and more provide for a more realistic simulation. [:)]

John Lansford -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 2:33:51 PM)

I grabbed the beta patch when it came out, and now this one.  Is there anything in the new patch that requires another restart that wasn't in the beta patch, and if so what was it?

I'd like to know so I can decide if it's worth it to restart; if it's something trivial like "changes tonnage capacity of these 3 ships" I won't bother for now.

Sardaukar -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 2:36:39 PM)

There was nothing in beta or this patch that would *require* restart....as far as I know. Except if wanting to experience refined AI scripts against AI.

John Lansford -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 2:41:05 PM)

I guess that's my question, though; I picked up the beta patch so presumably got the AI script changes then, unless there are other AI script changes in this patch that weren't in the beta patch.  

Sardaukar -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 2:55:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I guess that's my question, though; I picked up the beta patch so presumably got the AI script changes then, unless there are other AI script changes in this patch that weren't in the beta patch.  

I think there are new fixes to AI patches after Beta too. How much they'll effect gameplay..that I cannot say. Lot of the fixed stuff is related to early war..and if you are already several months into game vs. AI... I don't think I restart my game, I am already into Jun 42 in my latest restart. [8D]

Q-Ball -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 2:58:49 PM)

That's why I didn't want to start a PBEM until this first patch came out. Now I am starting.

Sardaukar -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 3:14:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

That's why I didn't want to start a PBEM until this first patch came out. Now I am starting.

Well, you could have started just fine and updated, AI scripts have no use in PBEM against human player, they are AI only things. Code and database chances are updated to savegame.

vaned74 -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 3:19:09 PM)

except note if you are playing japan, changes to your ship production plans seem to change with the database update, i am going to try and just update the game engine and press NO on the database changes and see if that addresses the issue

Sardaukar -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 3:24:56 PM)

Yea, if they have changed for example shipyard sizes, factory sizes etc, that will probably reset some of player changes.

DivePac88 -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 3:27:35 PM)

Ramjet and I have decided to restart our PBEM game with the unhistorical first-turn, as we are only 20 turns in, plus we both made a few early mistakes.

vaned74 -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 3:51:37 PM)

Hi Sardauker - that may be true, but, the big thing seems to be the advance/delay times for japanese ships go back to as if they were never halted or accelerated. So anything you have accelerated seems to go back to its original entry date and anything you have halted acts as if it was never halted.

Sardaukar -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 3:59:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vaned74

Hi Sardauker - that may be true, but, the big thing seems to be the advance/delay times for japanese ships go back to as if they were never halted or accelerated. So anything you have accelerated seems to go back to its original entry date and anything you have halted acts as if it was never halted.

Agree, that can be bit annoying.

Barneyrubb90 -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 4:28:12 PM)

I was up through Sept '42 when the Beta came out...and elected to restart against the AI. I am up to July '42 and am strongly considering continuing forward just to see what happens.

If is available would like assessment of comparison of AI changes between Beta and official change to better assess impact of not restarting.

rroberson -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 5:21:46 PM)

I'd like to restart a couple of my games when I didn't know what the hell I was doing :-). But for the most part I will be soldiering on.

Takeshi -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 5:24:48 PM)

Per Andy Mac

Duke yes but all I tweaked were the late war allied scripts so if playing v Jap AI it will be the same for beta/offical allied AI scripts have small changes not really material enough to warrent restart

Andy

Barneyrubb90 -> RE: To restart or not, that is the Question. (9/11/2009 6:26:51 PM)

Once again thanks for the quick and complete response.

Back into the battle I go.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI