West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Missouri_Rebel -> West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 3:03:19 AM)

This weekend I took a whirlwind trip to Washington D.C. (32 hours driving for a 5 hour stay. Whew!) and crossed through some of the nicest real estate around. I've never been to West Virginia and through the Shenandoah Valley before, but I am now planning on a trip next year. The Mountains look great and the rivers look so inviting. What can be suggested as to activities while there? We enjoy hiking, rivers, fishing, Americana locals etc..

I also wanted to spend a lil time in Charleston WV. What attractions might you suggest for her?

mo reb

Challerain -> RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 5:21:21 AM)

You could check out Harper's Ferry...a little Civil War history, nice shops, great views. It is also very close to the Antietam battlefield.

uncc -> RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 12:14:29 PM)

if you're into gamblin, there is

http://www.ctownraces.com/site/

in Charles Town, WV

SuluSea -> RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 4:39:00 PM)

Do some searches for Harpers Ferry apple festival [which is fantastic], kayaking, plenty of Civil War sites within an easy drive and the appalacian trail for starters.

http://www.rivertrail.com/index.php

Canoerebel -> RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 6:52:22 PM)

When in West Virginia, you have to:

1) Visit Harper's Ferry - tremendous history and even a wife/girl friend will love the quaint beauty of this old town.
2) Canoeing/kayaking - try the South Fork of the Potomac in any of a number of places.
3) Seneca Rocks - spectacular mountain beauty and a really cool hike to an overlook.
4) Dolly Sods Wilderness - spectacular mountain beauty in a wilderness setting.

All of these places are in fairly close proximity to each other.

dakuman -> RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 7:57:23 PM)

The fall is a great time of year to visit West Virginia with the foliage changing colors. A few other suggestions would be Blackwater Falls State Park and Canaan Valley, they are very close to Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods. Also if you plan on going to Virginia I would recommend taking the Skyline Drive. I think Luray Caverns is not that far away either though it's been a number of years since i've been there.

Missouri_Rebel -> RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 9:23:09 PM)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to look into each and every one during my trip planning.

What other rivers are navigable by canoe?  Other than marrying me, the missus isn't much of a risk taker so whitewater would be out of the question.

mo reb

dakuman -> RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley (9/14/2009 10:31:49 PM)

Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland is about a 1 hour drive north of Blackwater Falls State Park. I believe they have boats and maybe cayaks and canoes for rent. It's a very large freshwater lake. Also a little farther west near the MD, West Virginian, and Pennsylvania borders is Ohiopyle State Park. It's a very pretty park near the Yough River. They have bike rentals and I think part of the river is Class I rapids, very gentle. Plenty of vendors renting rafts and guided trips too.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI