AVG or Avast? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Terminus -> AVG or Avast? (9/20/2009 8:23:23 PM)

I'm looking for input from those who've used both. It's my understanding that the main advantage of Avast is that it uses less resources and is less likely to cause slowdown.

JudgeDredd -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/20/2009 8:31:17 PM)

Avast. Without a shadow of a doubt. I've not had any viruses and I'm seldom bothered by it. Once a year I have to register it to get my free version...they send an unlock key and it's done.

It's very non-intrusive and free to boot.

AVG I did enjoy until it became a pita....regularly needing a reboot.

Arctic Blast -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/20/2009 8:52:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Avast. Without a shadow of a doubt. I've not had any viruses and I'm seldom bothered by it. Once a year I have to register it to get my free version...they send an unlock key and it's done.

It's very non-intrusive and free to boot.

AVG I did enjoy until it became a pita....regularly needing a reboot.

EXACTLY what happened with me and AVG, and I also made the switch to Avast and have been quite happy with it.

I've also noticed on various forums that the majority of people who get false positives from their AV software seem to be AVG users.

V22 Osprey -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/20/2009 8:52:35 PM)

Yea, the newest AVG is annoying.I had constant problems, and I couldn't play American Conquest Divided Nation because AVG kept thinking it was a virus.[8|]

The older AVG was better.Oh well.[:(]

06 Maestro -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/20/2009 9:37:33 PM)

I use both of them on different machines. Just like the browsers, the best one varies often. It is clear something went amiss with AVG a month or so ago, but it seems to have settled down. Regarding the actual performance of these two programs, I don't recall ever having a virus slip in while using either program. When I used Norton, it happened several times-trojans-once with some rather devastating effects.

A few months ago AVG almost failed me. It allowed a virus onto the hard drive via Outlook-mail from a trusted source, but it did catch it quickly before any damage was done. It was one of those things that gets into your contacts list and rapidly spreads everywhere.

Arsan -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/20/2009 11:03:04 PM)

I have not tried AVG ever but i'm very happy with Avast.
I've been using it for 4 years now, and never had a serious problem with it. [&o]
Cheers

rogueusmc -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/21/2009 12:52:01 AM)

Avast also allows for varying levels of protection to various types of applications...AVG had one global security setting for it all last I used it.

Terminus -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/21/2009 8:30:05 AM)

Thanks, people. I just uninstalled AVG and swapped it for Avast.

SlickWilhelm -> RE: AVG or Avast? (9/21/2009 4:54:52 PM)

For anyone else looking for free anti-virus protection, this comparison between AVAST, AVG and Avira Personal Anti-Virus may interest you:
http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/a/freeav.htm

I ended up going with Avira, and have been happy with it so far.

rishi -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/5/2010 9:32:51 AM)

Avast in (in my opinion) the best free av out there, with its incomming and outgoing email scanner, real time protection and more thourough scanning than avg, user-friendly interface, and the abotion of downloading connection if a virus is detected.
been using it for years without a hitch.

*God, reading over that i sound like a freaking Avast representetive*

sabre1 -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/5/2010 12:44:18 PM)

Sheesh, these spammers are getting good. [8|]

leastonh1 -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/5/2010 12:52:22 PM)

Wow, that is a pretty good spam posting, yes. It's even on topic [X(]

I was using AVG free edition and Comodo firewall until recently. Due to getting a bit fed up with all the false positives from AVG, I trialled Kaspersky Internet Security 9 for 30 days and ended up buying it. It's a really nice product and doesn't hog resources. I was going to buy direct from Kaspersky (£40 for the year), but after a quick look on play.com, I got a retail copy for £20 including postage.

Do I get my commission now? [:D]

madgamer2 -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/6/2010 3:57:56 AM)

AVAST!......AVAST!.....AVAST!

rant over

Madgamer

junk2drive -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/6/2010 4:01:41 AM)

Fooling around with avast the other day. I found a setting for not allowing popups during fullscreen games.

rakshu -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/6/2010 8:08:59 AM)

i make it scan at 4am and i update as soon as i go online i also use firefox portable in sandboxie this has worked well as in testing i went to malware/virus sites only once did something screw firefox but as it was sandboxed i just delete the sandbox reopen firefox in sandboxie as if nothing happened by the way adblock plus addon for firefox and windows defender plus spybot works well with all my comps

leastonh1 -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/6/2010 8:47:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer
AVAST!......AVAST!.....AVAST!

Kaspersky!......Kaspersky!......Kaspersky! [:D]

rakshu - Kaspersky also has a sandbox mode built in, so there. [:'(]

Alan Sharif -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/7/2010 8:52:46 AM)

I have tried Avast and AVG. Avast was by far the best, for the reasons listed above. No contest in my opinion.  

ajith -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/7/2010 10:50:03 AM)

I use Avast with my WINME now because I can't use AVG on it anymore. Tomdkat mentioned false positives. I don't know how to identify a false positive but since I've started using Avast with my WINME it has detected a lot of Restore viri whereas AVG never did. Perhaps that's a discussion for a different thread.

leastonh1 -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/7/2010 5:52:46 PM)

Is the post above another one of those spammers or a real person?? It's getting harder to tell the difference. Is THIYUJ KIWIIW a real name?

Jeffrey H. -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/7/2010 6:32:07 PM)

I'm beginning to get the feeling that these spammers like it here. Now thier posts are contructive, on topic and often even self reflective. So, why are we calling them spammers ?

nenje -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/9/2010 4:22:10 AM)

I have tried both AVG and Avast. AVG (even up to v7) gave me problems with telling me it disinfected a virus on systems only to find the virus still there. I have been using Avast happily for years without any problems. ___________________________________________________________________
Start a home based business
Andrew Reynolds

sabre1 -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/9/2010 1:34:58 PM)

+1 JefferyH

I "almost" feel like I should respond. [;)]

junk2drive -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/24/2010 2:39:51 AM)

Well avast just pi$$ed me off. Update 5.0 is available do you want to install now? Freezes up at some point. Kill it. Can't restart update, can't reinstall 4.8, computer restarts.
I'm trying MS Security Essentials for a while.

sabre1 -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/24/2010 9:12:17 PM)

MS Security Essentials and MS Windows Live OneCare are the same if anyone is interested. Live OneCare just has more features such as backup built into it.

OneCare is a retail product, and Security Essentials is free.

junk2drive -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/24/2010 9:14:47 PM)

I found that I was able to exclude my Matrix folder from real time scanning with MSSE. I hope that is the same as turning off the av when I play a game.

GoodGuy -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/24/2010 10:20:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Well avast just pi$$ed me off. Update 5.0 is available do you want to install now? Freezes up at some point. Kill it. Can't restart update, can't reinstall 4.8, computer restarts.
I'm trying MS Security Essentials for a while.

Avast installs several virtual devices. They still might be running in the background. Open the device manager, change view to "show hidden devices", open the "non-pnp drivers" tree, and stop all avast drivers/services plus "aswRdr" on the driver page of the particular driver properties. Security fragments may prevent updating or reinstalling avast.
Then try to reinstall 4.8 .

Also, Avast has an update-option where you can switch from "ask, if new version is available" to "manual (update)". That's one of the first option I'm heading for, if I install an AV package, as I don't want some beta-AV-update to fiddle with my system.

junk2drive -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/24/2010 10:25:54 PM)

I ended up downloading their uninstaller and had to restart in safe mode to run it. All gone now on my computer. Still have it on the wife's. Will give MSSE a chance.

RANH -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/25/2010 3:33:31 AM)

The worst software experience I have ever had was with Norton trying to do the uninstall via the add/remove programs menu. After appearing to kill the harddrive I found that the way was to do it via the Norton site. I was able to recover the harddrive with a stroke of luck. I had something get by AVG one time and wiped my boot sector but had very good luck with AVAST free edition and I liked the way it was setup and worked.

2ndACR -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/25/2010 3:43:17 AM)

SOAB these one shot poster/spammers are getting really, really good......not even a misspelled word in the posts.

Arctic Blast -> RE: AVG or Avast? (1/25/2010 4:50:53 AM)

Yep, I shut down Avast 4.8 and switched to 5.0. It looks good so far.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI