Missing Geography? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

sedecula -> Missing Geography? (6/15/2002 8:47:36 PM)

I couldn't help but notice that Ontong Java Atoll and Roncador Reef are not featured on the UV map. An oversight? Morison's volume "The Struggle for Guadalcanal," indicates that they were used as rendezvous points for Japanese ships, and they would present a considerable obstacle to navigation for any battles to the north of the Solomons.

I know they're not there on the UV map, and they're not likely to ever be there, but I am curious if any consideration was given to their inclusion.

sedecula -> A Little More Research (6/16/2002 8:35:53 AM)

Lord Howe Island, in the Ontong Java Atoll, still does not have an airstrip. However, it has an anchorage, probably equivalent to a size 1 port in UV. After looking at a few photos, it is evident that the island itself is quite inhospitable to building an airstrip. There is no flat space suitable for that. Still and all, with the right equipment and enough time, perhaps a fighter strip could have been built. The place would have been a decent stopover point for ships and planes enroute to Guad.

Also, is Ocean I. too far east to fit on the map? It actually had some strategic value as a source of phosporus for Japanese gardens, and was occupied for that reason.

sedecula -> Bump (6/17/2002 9:12:43 PM)

I thought I'd bump this to see if anyone knows whether it's possible to change the map. I know we can't change it through the editor, but is it possible/easy to change at the Matrix level?

I know this is a minor issue with the bombardment bug going on, but maybe someone on the forum knows.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI