Basic Editing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Scenarios and Modding

Richard III -> Basic Editing (9/27/2009 10:47:17 PM)

Is it possible to do some basic edits to the Games, add pilots, change their names/ranks, etc ?

Nicholas Bell -> RE: Basic Editing (9/28/2009 3:23:28 PM)

Not without a hex editor and some time to figure out the file structure.  The *.dat files in the DAT folder contain the scenario information.  I've hex edited GG's files for going on 20 years, and it's not too difficult once you get the data patterns figured out.  Always preferred to edit a savegame file, but it appears they've encrypted the savegame files with a password [:(]

Would be nice if they would release their scenario creation editor, even if it came with zero support and a "your on your own" disclaimer.

petgod -> RE: Basic Editing (9/28/2009 6:47:22 PM)

I would love to see an editor that allows you to create your own "alternative" starts.

I.E. move pilots and units around and change different squadron a/c.

I personally like to move all the historic RAF aces into one Sqn. Also I move a couple of Lancaster Sqns from Bomber Cmd into a day light role for special raids.

Richard III -> RE: Basic Editing (9/28/2009 7:22:54 PM)

Hi Ya Nick, glad to see your still around, we had great times with your HPS TOP and Panthers mods too long ago now..[:)] Weren`t they great Games ??

Maybe they will be customer pro-active and release the SC Editor, even with 0 support as you say, good way to give these games " legs ". I`d like to fly for the Reich..[:D]

Regards

Rich Link

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicholas Bell

Not without a hex editor and some time to figure out the file structure.  The *.dat files in the DAT folder contain the scenario information.  I've hex edited GG's files for going on 20 years, and it's not too difficult once you get the data patterns figured out.  Always preferred to edit a savegame file, but it appears they've encrypted the savegame files with a password [:(]

Would be nice if they would release their scenario creation editor, even if it came with zero support and a "your on your own" disclaimer.

wernerpruckner -> RE: Basic Editing (9/28/2009 7:39:16 PM)

It is not that easy with BoB/BtR. It is not a clean programming with editable lists in some aspects....too much is hardcoded.
There were some early editors (by harley a few years back.....but you most often ended with a messed up game)

petgod -> RE: Basic Editing (9/29/2009 2:22:23 AM)

I used and still do use Harley's editor for BTR original and never once had any problems. Maybe if we all ask him really really nicely he might adapt it for this version. [;)]

Nicholas Bell -> RE: Basic Editing (9/29/2009 4:36:46 PM)

quote:

Hi Ya Nick, glad to see your still around, we had great times with your HPS TOP and Panthers mods too long ago now.. Weren`t they great Games ??

Hey Rich that was a LONG time ago, although I am still working with HPS and the new Tigers on the Prowl is in the works - but I digress.

quote:

ORIGINAL:  swift
It is not that easy with BoB/BtR. It is not a clean programming with editable lists in some aspects....too much is hardcoded.
There were some early editors (by harley a few years back.....but you most often ended with a messed up game)

Yeah I'm familiar with the limitations and dangers having done editors for many of Gary's games (USAAF, Steel Panthers, Pacific War, West Front, Carrier Strike, BTR -a pilot editor, War in the Pacific) but that never seemed to be much of an issue since the users know what they are "risking" ie nothing other than a game which can be quickly brought back to normal using a few backup files.

I didn't release the Pacific War editor because I knew there would be hell to pay for allowing people to change savegame files which allows for "cheating".  Since I suspect a similar situation with this game, the only thing I could do was look at the .dat files.  I am not not sure how Matrix feels about this.  Might consider it "reverse-engineering" which is a no-no.  As an aside, back in the early-mid 90's when I was hexediting Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, Aces over Europe it was called "hacking".  Now that term has a much more sinister connotation!

Richard III -> RE: Basic Editing (10/3/2009 6:28:21 AM)

Asking Harley really very Nicely.......[&o][&o][8D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: petgod

I used and still do use Harley's editor for BTR original and never once had any problems. Maybe if we all ask him really really nicely he might adapt it for this version. [;)]

petgod -> RE: Basic Editing (10/3/2009 10:39:47 AM)

Oh mystical being that is known as Harley, you are wise in the ways of editor's and us mere mortals and muggles implore you to rain down nice things from Matrix heaven. [&o][&o]

wernerpruckner -> RE: Basic Editing (10/3/2009 10:55:00 AM)

quote:

Oh mystical being that is known as Harley, you are wise in the ways of editor's and us mere mortals and muggles implore you to rain down nice things from Matrix heaven. [&o][&o]

[:D][:D][:D]

RAM -> RE: Basic Editing (10/4/2009 9:29:51 AM)

some hints would be great, I'm looking to edit some of the in-game ratings for the cannons and MGs, for I think the ones in vanilla can be improved...at least on my own view (posted about that in the general forum)

So any ideas, hints, etc, please share [:)]

Richard III -> RE: Basic Editing (10/6/2009 1:21:42 PM)

Harley, programming god, your followers beseach you. [&o][&o][sm=innocent0001.gif]

quote:

Nicholas Bell -> RE: Basic Editing (10/6/2009 7:23:30 PM)

Something like this?

[image]local://upfiles/20401/9297063F2EE84D55A191509F3812FDD6.gif[/image]

Note: Just a quick rework of my WitP editor.

abw814 -> RE: Basic Editing (10/8/2009 6:12:50 PM)

"Note: Just a quick rework of my WitP editor."

Hi Nick,

I've still got a copy of your circa 2000 pilot editor for Btr ( it was tedious to use but very effective!)and was hoping you might be willing to update it and share. The one imaged above looks even better, any chance you'd make it available to those of us who are 'progaming challenged'?

Thanks much!

Nicholas Bell -> RE: Basic Editing (10/10/2009 1:31:21 AM)

I am waiting for permission from Matrix to release an scenario data editor before I put much work into it.  Depending on how one looks at it, creating an editor may violate the license agreement.  If allowed, it will be only for the scenario start data.  A savegame editor is right out - not going to happen.

abw814 -> RE: Basic Editing (10/11/2009 5:24:58 PM)

Thanks for the update - hopefully it will be approved. What I'm trying to do is update the starting victories for the pilots as I'd done for the old games using your old editor in one case and hex editing in the other. Don't know if it makes a difference in the calculations, but it makes the games seem a bit more historical. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Thanks again for your efforts.[:)]

Creeper -> RE: Basic Editing (10/11/2009 8:49:58 PM)

I'm wondering why a user-made editor for BTR may violate the license agreement. [&:]
Can please someone from matrix can give a little statement to this assumption, please?

Thanks, Creeper

Nicholas Bell -> RE: Basic Editing (10/11/2009 10:47:35 PM)

This is from the License Agreement

You may not rent or lease it, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or modify the software in any way.

Opening a file with a hex editor, determining what byte means what and then changing it technically is in violation.  However, some may argue that this really only applies to executable & DLL files, not just a straight data file.  But since the license does not differentiate, we need clarification.   My guess was the Erik Rutins was the man to ask, and emailed him on Friday.  His PM box seems perpetually full.

JeffroK -> RE: Basic Editing (10/13/2009 8:16:07 AM)

Seems odd, other Matrix games such as TOAW III & WITP, WPO & WITPAE have an editor and the games are far better for it.

'Nother person crawling to Harley to allow it[:D]

Nicholas Bell -> RE: Basic Editing (10/13/2009 2:09:44 PM)

Harley has already indicated that it is not his call.

JeffroK -> RE: Basic Editing (10/13/2009 9:11:46 PM)

Then someone from Matrix, Eric!!!!!, should get a decison made and the result announced.

Turn a good game into a great one.

kaybayray -> RE: Basic Editing (10/21/2009 1:12:25 AM)

As much as Harley and others may want to deliver an Editor I dont think they will. IIRC they have already posted about this on another thread way back when and due to legal entanglements they all agreed not to post one or lead anybody to one.

As Ben Franklyn said... Damn the Politicians... Hang the Lawyers....

Later,
KayBay

JoeRockhead -> RE: Basic Editing (10/23/2009 8:58:04 PM)

Bombing the Reich: Does anyone have a link to the old editor files?
Were there any other mods done?
I'm interested in this game and have the old version.
I don't have the money to buy the new version now, and would like to try out the old one first, to get a feel for the game. I know changes were made but at least I could play around with it until I could afford the new version.
Thanks for any help.

joliverlay -> RE: Basic Editing (10/28/2009 5:29:49 AM)

Next someone will be telling us we cant change the name of the files or folders after install...that it is modifying the software as well....or reverse engineering the file names?

Richard III -> RE: Basic Editing (7/21/2010 5:14:08 PM)

Still amazing and very sad that an Editor can`t be released....who, and why, is anyone protecting this ancient game code.....

wernerpruckner -> RE: Basic Editing (7/21/2010 5:52:38 PM)

thw main problem with bob/btr is that not all impotant data is in the dat files.....too much is hardcoded in the exe....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI