Unit "falling" off the train (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Chijohnaok2 -> Unit "falling" off the train (10/1/2009 3:19:04 PM)

I've noticed an issue where I have placed a ground unit into "strategic move" with the intent of moving them by rail, only to have them "fall off" the train partway through their journey. The unit was to move from Karachi to Calcutta or Dacca. The move starts out fine. As the unit is moving along the Karchi to Multan stage, at around hex#s 48,8 or 48,9, the unit seems to "fall off" the train and now is in move mode with no destination. I then have to send the unit via the slower "move" mode and have it crawl to Multan, where I then "reboard" into strategic move" mode & move it by rail to its final destination. At first this was simply annoying.

Now I have experienced the same thing in Australia. During a cross continent move from Perth to Sydney, I had a unit "fall off" the train in the middle of the Kalgoorlie to Port Augusta leg of the trip (at approx. 67,151). This is about in the middle of this journey. The unit is now in "move" mode walking to Port Augusta. At the pace they are going it is going to be over 1 week (or more) to get to Port Augusta where I can have them "reboard" the train.

Has anyone else noticed this? What is up?

Is there a Japanese fifth column that is blowing up the tracks or something? ;-)

vinnie71 -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/1/2009 4:03:58 PM)

I noticed the same thing but usually when I had saved the game and then reloaded it the day after. Some commands are 'lost' when the game is reloaded, or so it seems.

Jonathan Pollard -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/1/2009 4:27:35 PM)

I think I remember reading somewhere that there's a bug for rail movement if the distance is very long.

JohnDillworth -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/1/2009 5:35:50 PM)

I was one of the victims of this bug. I had the Australian 6th Division halfway through the outback desert and the train up and vanished. It would have taken me months to march the unit out. Fortunately , I had a save.
The solution, hope you have a save.
The problem. Strategic move by rail does not work with distances over 25 hexes. Just move to a city less then 25 hexes and then set the next destination. Know bug, and I assume it will be fixed in the next patch. As long as you have a recent save the work around is not arduous.

FOW -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/1/2009 7:27:42 PM)

WAD as far as I can tell.

You need to pay attention to the text displayed when you set the movement orders. Dacca is not connected by high capacity rail link (shown as RR+ in the display) so the whole journey is treated as road movement (shown as RD+ in the disply). In RailRoad (RR) mode LCUs move approx 10 hexes per day, whereas Road (RD) mode is 3 hexes per day.

Took some time before I realised what was happening to me. In my game, for example, to get from Madras to Dacca I set Rail movement to Calcutta then set Road movement from Calcutta to Dacca. I got fed up of LCUs crawling all along the coast at 3 hexes per turn when I was setting movement orders incorrectly.

USS Henrico -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/2/2009 12:04:41 AM)

When I asked about this in the Tech Support Forum, I was told that this would be fixed in Patch 2 instead of Patch 1. In the beta patch preceding Patch 1, the Perth line east did appear to be working: I assume there was some other issue related to this fix that caused it to be taken out of Patch 1.

Until Patch 2, I'm shipping units to Adelaide or Sydney from Perth instead of railing.

medicff -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/2/2009 12:58:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS Henrico

When I asked about this in the Tech Support Forum, I was told that this would be fixed in Patch 2 instead of Patch 1. In the beta patch preceding Patch 1, the Perth line east did appear to be working: I assume there was some other issue related to this fix that caused it to be taken out of Patch 1.

Until Patch 2, I'm shipping units to Adelaide or Sydney from Perth instead of railing.

The workaround mentioned earlier is to plot movement between bases 25 hexes or less at a time. Only effects greater than 25 hex plots.

BigJ62 -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/2/2009 12:25:32 PM)

I was not able to get the fix in for patch 1 in time, it will be in patch 2.

JohnDillworth -> RE: Unit "falling" off the train (10/2/2009 1:43:09 PM)

quote:

I think you can still use rail, just in shorter jumps. Ship em to Melbourne first and then on to the next stop. Worked for me

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI