Returning Fighters Still Attack Airfields (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich

Richard III -> Returning Fighters Still Attack Airfields (10/3/2009 3:19:25 AM)

I don`t want this to sound like whining since I love the game and appreciate the massive efforts you guys have done to enhance what must be a complex and now very old code.

The thing is I was was sad to see the " airfield attack" by returning US & Brit fighters is still in here. I always thought this was a really useless piece of Chrome that added nothing to the game and led to unintended problems when you were trying to manage the tactical side of the air war, especially in 1944-45.

For example, in late 1943 when all you have with long range are the P-47`s and the somewhat useless P-38`s. I use the " back end fighter sweep " the HardSarge talked about. This is where you send in a sweep to a location in the path of the returning Bomb Groups and set it to patrol. If you time it right, you can save many of the damaged bombers & fighters that turned back early and stop the enemy fighters from trailing the BG`s halfway across the channel. I often get a lot of shoot downs with this, it`s also historically accurate and in fact the Brits did a lot of this for 8th. AF pre P-51D.

In my past turn on 10/20/43 I had 2 P-47 groups at 22,000 feet, set to sweep & patrol, sent to meet the returning deep raid Boom Group`s about 1/3 way in to the target. What happened on their way in is that they attacked an unused AF about halfway to their end spot location and then turned around and flew back to England. No help to the BG`s there. I`ve also had Mossie NF`s returning at 23,000 feet do the same thing

I know I can work around this in the outbound plotting, but in an already micro management intensive game, it`s a PITA to do that.

I`d _really_ like to see this feature removed if possible. I never knew anyone who liked it on the old Forums and it causes problems as above.

Thanks for your consideration on this.

RL

wernerpruckner -> RE: Returning Fighters Still Attack Airfields (10/3/2009 10:56:46 AM)

I think this WAD.
If you do not want to see this feature you need to plot your flight paths more carful.

jtareb -> RE: Returning Fighters Still Attack Airfields (10/4/2009 2:47:28 AM)

Ive run numerous b-17 raids and fighter sweeps and have yet to see this happen.

TechSgt -> RE: Returning Fighters Still Attack Airfields (10/4/2009 11:53:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

The thing is I was was sad to see the " airfield attack" by returning US & Brit fighters is still in here. I always thought this was a really useless piece of Chrome that added nothing to the game and led to unintended problems when you were trying to manage the tactical side of the air war, especially in 1944-45.

RL

Darn, darn, darn! I've always hated this, too!

But, instead of removal, I would like to see the ability to switch it ON/OFF.

Allies use to send fighter sweeps to shoot up anything and everything. But after losing top pilots, they would put out an order halting the practice, then after a time they would allow it.

With a switch, it would allow us players to forget how many experienced pilots we lose, switch it back on, have the game forcibly remind us, switch it off, then forget again... (repeat till end of game) [;)]

TS

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI