ARMA II (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

dogancan -> ARMA II (10/13/2009 9:22:41 AM)

anyone tried? Is it a click-fest or can be played by people like me who are not very dexterious and have never been good at aiming?

thanks...

Hertston -> RE: ARMA II (10/13/2009 9:28:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dogancan
Is it a click-fest or can be played by people like me who are not very dexterious and have never been good at aiming?

Neither, at least in multiplay. It's certainly no 'click fest', but the usual FPS skills need to be sharper than usual, if anything. You should be OK in single-player, but expect to 'die' a lot.

JudgeDredd -> RE: ARMA II (10/13/2009 10:59:14 AM)

You might struggle if you are no good at aiming! It's quite hardcore.

It's suffered from the some of the same issues that plagued the original Flashpoint and then Armed Assault (first one)...dialogue is awful. Sound is pretty bad (shouting when on a night mission) Hearing a tank like it's on top of you but it's miles away, or not hearing a tank UNTIL it's on top of you...very demanding on your system because (imo) it isn't (nor has it ever been) optimised. I've played many, many FPS games, and I've come up with a load which are MUCH more detailed than this and yet run much smoother. I had hoped the Armed Assault II incarnation would've been different. It appears not.

After my very initial WOW factor I shelved it...simply couldn't get a decent frame rate out of it unless I turned down everything...and I'm not prepared to do that...one of the allures of FPS for me is the graphical output...sometimes simply awesome. Helps with immersion.

I will see if any of the patches fix the frame rate and audio when I revisit it.

Joshuatree -> RE: ARMA II (10/13/2009 2:19:09 PM)

Well it certainly ain't a clickfest. It's quite hardcore indeed, no "hitpoints" and no "healthpacks"... one hit and then you die most of the time. It's almost like a turnbased wargame, only it a FPS... know what I mean. You don't rush in and blaze the place to smithereens because that way the only thing that will be blown up is you. So you look at the situation, enemy soldiers and their movements, and then you decide what to do. So this game *does* take a lot more time than your usual FPS. Guns are much much more "real life", a rifle grenade does travel a huge distance, and not like most FPS 30 metres or so. And sniper rifles ditto. I mean, in FEAR a sniper rifle shoots about... 50 metres....? Here they can shoot hundreds of game metres.
And yes it is taxing on your system. I have a ATI 4870-X2 videocard, and it does 30 frames per second or so with everything turned up high.

jackx -> RE: ARMA II (10/13/2009 5:09:38 PM)

Good aim yes, instant reactions as required by more "twitchy" fps - not so much. It's not really a cqb simulator anyways, none of the games in the series are. Caters more to the sniper/camper crowd. Non-moving pixels are notoriously hard to spot, and if you see them before they see you, they die and you don't.
A good rig that can maintain a steady framerate also helps a lot, too - no amount of aiming skill will do you any good if you have jittery weapon movement because of performance issues.

dogancan -> RE: ARMA II (10/14/2009 2:10:13 PM)

thaks for the reps. After your comments, I downloaded the demo. With low graphic settings, the game runs pretty smooth and by tweaking difficulty settings I find the right balance that fits my taste. think I will buy the game...

EUBanana -> RE: ARMA II (10/14/2009 2:30:18 PM)

It rocks.

It's a bit like the old Delta Force games where you're shooting specks on the horizon more often than not, but more detailed, with vehicles and things. They tried to add a bit more urban, close quarters fighting too but it's not the game's strength.

[img]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2161/arma4.jpg[/img]

They are definitely hardware hog games though.

V22 Osprey -> RE: ARMA II (10/15/2009 12:12:56 AM)

If these companies would stop working so much on graphics for a few seconds, and work on optimizing the game, we could all play.

Sarge -> RE: ARMA II (10/15/2009 12:25:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

If these companies would stop working so much on graphics for a few seconds, and work on optimizing the game, we could all play.

Your hang up with 3d modern graphics kills me …………[:D]

Hertston -> RE: ARMA II (10/15/2009 12:44:10 AM)

On the 'aiming' front, ArmA 2 was the game that finally forced me into forking out on a decent 'gaming' mouse. It's an awful lot easier when you can customize cursor/sight movement to your natural hand-movement, it takes a while to get the right settings but once you do you can flick accurately from target to target almost without thinking about it.

SlickWilhelm -> RE: ARMA II (10/15/2009 4:08:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Your hang up with 3d modern graphics kills me …………[:D]

Well, I can understand why V22 is so upset with the shooter games always upping the hardware requirements. If I recall correctly, he's about 16 years old and probably can't build himself a new gaming rig every year like some of us older blokes. Just a guess, though. Maybe he really does have a 3D hangup! [;)]

andym -> RE: ARMA II (10/15/2009 5:01:04 PM)

Well i have OP Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising.i really like it but then im not a hardcore shoot em up fan.I tried posting pics but no luck.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI