RE: New Beta Update Available (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day

FeurerKrieg -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/23/2009 11:18:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzerlehr62

quote:

ORIGINAL: RD_Oddball

It shouldn't have changed. That note was from an early, admittedly somewhat sarcastic response in reaction to a request to add naval to over half the maps that was part of an earlier plan. We'd refined our view of it based on gameplay and history to arrive at the current plan. I think we're at a solid compromise between the two that makes sense. The item accidentally got added into this list because I'd copied from all the update lists since the official release and missed this one when I went back and weeded out the items that were not pertinent. Hey I was in a hurry.[:D][8|]

I have to say this (I think the allies have unfair advantage as it stands now so I am not crying for extra offshore support, well maybe after you read this I am [:D]) in the GC with FK we had this exact meeting, 12thSS fighting Canadian troops (8/3 in our game) between Caen and Bayeaux (at Buron) on June 7th (same day).

According to the militaryhistoryonline.com, a combination of massed artillery fire and NAVAL GUN SUPPORT quicky stalled the German advance, forcing them back to their start line. Had I had Naval support as an option when I entered that map, no question I wouldn't have been forced off it (I would have used it again next turn too), similar to what really happened. So there is no doubt history wise that it could be included in a few extra maps. I personally would just like to see it be available for all the beach maps, not just the landing maps.

I also think air power could have a more devastating effect in this game similar to Naval fire. Maybe insted of one plane, it would consist of several creating the same area of destruction that offshore does.

Gz...

I can't say I'm entirely against expanding Naval Support to other maps provided the quantity of strikes is limited. It will just require a modification of tactics by the Germans. Keep moving, spread out or stay under cover, etc.

nietsche -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/24/2009 8:03:15 AM)

I object to being called tenacious. I am just stubborn. {/spam}

Andrew Williams -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/24/2009 8:11:15 AM)

and picky  [;)]

RD Oddball -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/24/2009 6:47:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzerlehr62

quote:

ORIGINAL: RD_Oddball

It shouldn't have changed. That note was from an early, admittedly somewhat sarcastic response in reaction to a request to add naval to over half the maps that was part of an earlier plan. We'd refined our view of it based on gameplay and history to arrive at the current plan. I think we're at a solid compromise between the two that makes sense. The item accidentally got added into this list because I'd copied from all the update lists since the official release and missed this one when I went back and weeded out the items that were not pertinent. Hey I was in a hurry.[:D][8|]

I have to say this (I think the allies have unfair advantage as it stands now so I am not crying for extra offshore support, well maybe after you read this I am [:D]) in the GC with FK we had this exact meeting, 12thSS fighting Canadian troops (8/3 in our game) between Caen and Bayeaux (at Buron) on June 7th (same day).

According to the militaryhistoryonline.com, a combination of massed artillery fire and NAVAL GUN SUPPORT quicky stalled the German advance, forcing them back to their start line. Had I had Naval support as an option when I entered that map, no question I wouldn't have been forced off it (I would have used it again next turn too), similar to what really happened. So there is no doubt history wise that it could be included in a few extra maps. I personally would just like to see it be available for all the beach maps, not just the landing maps.

I also think air power could have a more devastating effect in this game similar to Naval fire. Maybe insted of one plane, it would consist of several creating the same area of destruction that offshore does.

Gz...

I can't say I'm entirely against expanding Naval Support to other maps provided the quantity of strikes is limited. It will just require a modification of tactics by the Germans. Keep moving, spread out or stay under cover, etc.

True. Probably of more impact is the effect naval barrages would have on support elements that would give one side or other the advantage of a given map. Armor and AT guns. Can change the outcome of a GC with one barrage.

One version we'd tried was the first two rows of maps having naval barrages. It was lopsided for the Allies with that arrangement.

In case someone reading may not know: You can look at the maps that have naval by going to the scenario editor from the main screen and hovering the cursor over the beach maps. The artillery barrage indicator will turn to "available" when a given map is able to have it assigned. Most of the beach maps have naval for the allies. All of the landing beaches (that's our GC's landing beaches) should have naval available as an option.

FeurerKrieg -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/24/2009 7:38:52 PM)

There is no doubt it would make it tougher on the German player. I guess just depends on the history versus playability balance one is looking for. Maybe if the naval were expanded, the effect could be toned down a touch.

panzerlehr62 -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/25/2009 1:13:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

There is no doubt it would make it tougher on the German player. I guess just depends on the history versus playability balance one is looking for. Maybe if the naval were expanded, the effect could be toned down a touch.

FK, there really isn't a lot of offshore per day (4 turns) as it is. I think its like 8 for each of the first 3 days and 6 for the final one. I would take 4 per day if one could use them anywere in line vs line. If air power damage was expanded I could live with 2 per day. Yes I think the Germans should get at least 1 air attack per GC...[:D]

Gz...

berndn -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/26/2009 7:31:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

I would recommend you download and install the 5.50.07b beta patch that this thread refers to.

It is comprehensive and does (should) include all previous fixes.

Is there a reason why this one is smaller then the previous ones ?

RD Oddball -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/26/2009 7:51:29 PM)

Yes but you don't want to hear the long version. It's boring. It's akin to the "funniest joke in the world" that the Nazi's were working on that made people die from laughter except you'd die from boredom after hearing it.

FeurerKrieg -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/29/2009 7:53:27 AM)

Not sure if you are still taking corrections, but I believe the top exit VL on the Fox Green map should say "Easy Red" not "Fox Red".

Fox Red would be on the bottom of the Fox Green map, but there is not map for Fox Red anyway, the area can actually be seen on the St. Honorine map where the cliffs are, just above WN59.

FeurerKrieg -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/30/2009 9:13:04 AM)

A couple more - not sure if these have already been fixed or not.

On the Trevieres map -

The exit labeled Colombieres sends you to Formigny. Haven't looked yet to see where that location should actually exit to.

Likewise, the exit labeled Formigny currently sends you to Surrain. Again haven't checked to see where it should go.

RD Oddball -> RE: New Beta Update Available (10/30/2009 3:25:01 PM)

Thanks FK we'll look at them and get them fixed if need be.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI