best overall tank (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Egg_Shen -> best overall tank (6/20/2002 12:30:00 AM)

out of all of ww2 what is your top 3 tanks or SP guns?

1. tiger
2. panther
3. firefly

OKW-73 -> (6/20/2002 12:53:28 AM)

1. Maus
2. Jagdpanther
3. Tiger II

DerC -> (6/20/2002 12:58:23 AM)

1. Panther
2. T34/85
3. Firefly

All these combine mobility with adequate firepower.

Belisarius -> (6/20/2002 1:09:24 AM)

1. Jagdpanther
2. T34/85
3. Panther G

ananias -> (6/20/2002 2:18:20 AM)

1.Panther
2. T-34 (any model)
3. KV-1

Drex -> (6/20/2002 2:33:47 AM)

Pershing
Chaffee
Jackson

Fabio Prado -> (6/20/2002 5:41:53 AM)

I will mention the heavies only;

Heavies:
1. Tiger I
2. Tiger II
3. Pershing
4. IS-2

Comments:

I consider the Tiger I the best heavy tank because it was extremely effective from September/October 1942 right to the end of the war. The Tiger II was overkill, by any contemporary standards. But these two tanks were never produced in enough numbers to really make a difference, although the Tiger I showed an impressive kill ratio (up to over 10:1 in 1943 - 44*), especially in the East Front, even if we consider that no more than 1,349 units were produced. German economy just couldn't produce them in sufficient numbers. The Russians produced 23,937 T-34/76 (not including the T-34/85!) from 1942 to 1945.

Tigers were almost always seriously outnumbered and fighting in difficult to terrible conditions, and this tank truly deserves its reputation. When one talks "tank", the Tiger will always be mentioned.

There was nothing like the Tiger I. The Tiger I is not just a tank. It is a weapon that made history. ;)

*"During their first period in action between 20 September 1943 and 10 January 1944, s.PzAbt.506 reported 213 tanks and 194 anti-tank guns destroyed, while losing 19 Tigers". JENTZ, Tom, et. al. , Tiger I Heavy Tank 1942-1945, New Vanguard Series - Osprey Books, 1998, page 40.

Fab

Goblin -> (6/20/2002 6:37:02 AM)

Tiger!

Panther!

Jagdpanther!

Goblin- A Goblin likes kittens:D

learnerever -> (6/20/2002 7:35:59 AM)

Tiger

Pershing

Sturmtiger

Hades -> (6/20/2002 10:10:31 AM)

1 IS-3
2 Tiger II
3 Pershing

IS-3s are awesome! I have seen one being pounded by two pershing and 4 or 5 easy eights before its crew decided American coffee was better than Russian propoganda.

tohoku -> Re: best overall tank (6/20/2002 12:05:06 PM)

1. Jagdpanzer IV/L70
2. Comet
3. JS 3

tohoku
YMMV

Fabio Prado -> (6/20/2002 12:39:06 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hades
[B]1 IS-3
2 Tiger II
3 Pershing

IS-3s are awesome! I have seen one being pounded by two pershing and 4 or 5 easy eights before its crew decided American coffee was better than Russian propoganda. [/B][/QUOTE]

The Russian heavies were indeed awesome, specially in the armor protection department. It is noteworthy that the IS-2 weighed a mere 46 tons, and the IS-3 around 48 tons, if my memory doesn't fails; while the Tiger I weighed 56 tons and the Tiger II, 68 tons!
So, Russian engineers achieved, by a tank design which emphasized very steep armor inclination angles, tremendous armor protection while keeping the IS - 2/3 series weight around the Panther's weight (45 tons), which was no small feat.

Fab

Fabio Prado -> (6/20/2002 12:40:48 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]Tiger!

Panther!

Jagdpanther!

Goblin- A Goblin likes kittens:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Me, too!:D :D

Fab

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (6/20/2002 6:12:38 PM)

Matilda Mk I
Italian Semovente
Japanese Type 97

Ok so I am just kidding heheh.

But hey, the problem with all the already mentioned to death cliche late war heavies, is they are all late war heavies.

Put on your thinking caps now and impress Sarge with the top three tanks from each of 1939, 1940 and 1941.
Then maybe your knowledge of armour might be tested.
Oh and I am right now deleting the T-34 from any consideration (just so the other tanks have a fair chance eh:) ).

Fabio Prado -> (6/21/2002 7:00:06 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Matilda Mk I
Italian Semovente
Japanese Type 97

Ok so I am just kidding heheh.

But hey, the problem with all the already mentioned to death cliche late war heavies, is they are all late war heavies.

Put on your thinking caps now and impress Sarge with the top three tanks from each of 1939, 1940 and 1941.
Then maybe your knowledge of armour might be tested.
Oh and I am right now deleting the T-34 from any consideration (just so the other tanks have a fair chance eh:) ). [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, Here we go...

1939:
PzKpfw III Ausf E/F (50mm L/42)
Char Somua S-35
PzKpfw IV Ausf D

1940:
PzKpfw III Ausf F/G/H (50mm L/42)
Char Somua S-35
PzKpfw IV Ausf D/E

1941:
PzKpfw III Ausf H/J (50mm L/60)
M3 Grant/Lee
PzKpfw IV Ausf D/E/F1

Of course, without including the T-34...;)

And the heavies: :D
A12 Matilda II Infantry Tank ( 1940-41)
Char B1 Heavy Tank (1939-40)
KV-1 Heavy Tank (1940-41)

Fab

Goblin -> (6/21/2002 7:07:42 AM)

[B]But hey, the problem with all the already mentioned to death cliche late war heavies, is they are all late war heavies.[/B][/QUOTE]

Your thread did say best overall tank, Les.

For that time period:

Char B1 bis!

PZIII's!

Grant!

([SIZE=1]T34[/SIZE] )

Goblin- A Goblin still loves his felines:D

Fabio Prado -> (6/21/2002 7:36:46 AM)

[B]

Your thread did say best overall tank, Les.

For that time period:

Char B1 bis!

PZIII's!

Grant!

([SIZE=1]T34[/SIZE] )

Goblin- A Goblin still loves his felines:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Me, too...:D :D :D ;)

Fab

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (6/21/2002 8:28:32 AM)

Well actually my choices were in defiance of the late war heavies heheh.
I was trying to pick the most lame tanks I could think of in 20 seconds.

I routinely play with Matilda Mk II when British.
Sure the gun isn't impressive but man the armour!. Speed is no trouble either, my tanks usually hang around the troops anyway.
Matilda MkII and 8 inch artillery barrages, gotta love em.

You should have seen the bitching and whining my buddy went through when I finally coerced him to play France 1940 instead of 1945.
No Tigers no Panthers, god it was fun humiliating him.

Dropped arty on his positions. Then sat on my butt till smoke screen came. Then drive into smoke not through. He of course superior and all attacked with his Panzer IIIs.

And I blew them all up.

And his victory hexes he was so proud of grabbing turn one. What wasn't on fire was beating it the heck out of there.

Oh yes and 88's yes he had a nice batch of them. Amazing how worthless an 88 is under 8 inch artillery fire.

Although in all fairness, we were playing hotseat on one computer. But we both set up hidden from sight. He saw my stuff and I saw his.
But he thought to much of his Panzer IIIs heheh.

In addition to Matilda Mk II hmmm well I should be say T-34 and KV1 but I excluded those as to easy.
Sooooo, I would say a Panzer IV actualy (not a III as I like the bigger gun for infantry purposes).
and a Panzer 38t, nice speed and a reasonable gun.

Goblin -> (6/21/2002 8:31:04 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fabio Prado
[B]

Me, too...:D :D :D ;)

Fab [/B][/QUOTE]

Fabio, you are a person of great taste, and a capital fellow too!

Goblin- A Goblin likes concurrance;) :D

Fabio Prado -> (6/21/2002 12:08:00 PM)

[B]

Fabio, you are a person of great taste, and a capital fellow too!

Goblin- A Goblin likes concurrance;) :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, buddy! LOL :D

Fab

Fabio Prado -> (6/21/2002 12:25:36 PM)

[B]Well actually my choices were in defiance of the late war heavies heheh.
I was trying to pick the most lame tanks I could think of in 20 seconds.

I routinely play with Matilda Mk II when British.
Sure the gun isn't impressive but man the armour!. Speed is no trouble either, my tanks usually hang around the troops anyway.
Matilda MkII and 8 inch artillery barrages, gotta love em.

You should have seen the bitching and whining my buddy went through when I finally coerced him to play France 1940 instead of 1945.
No Tigers no Panthers, god it was fun humiliating him.

Dropped arty on his positions. Then sat on my butt till smoke screen came. Then drive into smoke not through. He of course superior and all attacked with his Panzer IIIs.

And I blew them all up.

And his victory hexes he was so proud of grabbing turn one. What wasn't on fire was beating it the heck out of there.

Oh yes and 88's yes he had a nice batch of them. Amazing how worthless an 88 is under 8 inch artillery fire.

Although in all fairness, we were playing hotseat on one computer. But we both set up hidden from sight. He saw my stuff and I saw his.
But he thought to much of his Panzer IIIs heheh.

In addition to Matilda Mk II hmmm well I should be say T-34 and KV1 but I excluded those as to easy.
Sooooo, I would say a Panzer IV actualy (not a III as I like the bigger gun for infantry purposes).
and a Panzer 38t, nice speed and a reasonable gun. [/B][/QUOTE]

You are quite right. Using PzKpfw III require a more careful approach. It took me some time to get adjusted to them during LVMC testing...
Under 8 inch arty fire, almost anything will become worthless. Tigers included... ;)
With your arty philosophy, I can just imagine what kind of damage you would inflict if you had some Sturmtigers available!:D

Fab

challenge -> (6/21/2002 9:42:13 PM)

Personal favorites in order of development...

Pz III J (the 50 mm gun is incredible).
Pz IV (With the long bbl 75 AT gun -- don't have the letter handy)
Panther G

In each of their time frames they seem incredibly effective against the opposition. Now if I can only learn to use them effectively... :rolleyes:

Randy -> (6/22/2002 4:46:53 AM)

1)Jagdpanther
2)Panther
3)T-34/85

stevemk1a -> (6/22/2002 10:04:19 AM)

My favourate early war tanks are
1. Souma S-35
Great armour with cast hull and turret, and a 47mm gun and decent speed. Only handicapped by a one man turret (so close to perfection).
2. Matilda II
Outstanding armour, O.K. speed handicapped by a little gun with no H.E. capability (did I say outstanding armour already?)
3. Panzer 38(t) O.K. maybe not as good as some PzIII models, but it never gets it's props. Did a lot of heavy lifting for the Panzerwaffe early in WWII.

For late war tanks
Of course for Axis I will take the Panther G because it looks so good and i'm a sucker for that - oh yea and it's the best tank of WWII (so shallow :) )
For Allies, I will take the IS-2 because it would look at home in a Tank park even today, and it can face the big German kitties with a sense of superiority.
Honourable mention goes to the British Comet tank for finally getting it right... of course if the Centurion came sooner it would have been a completely different story.

Egg_Shen -> (6/23/2002 3:53:50 AM)

Prince George!
ahhh how is the weather there? nice and sunny here

hmm I'm making a new post about guns:p

Rankojin -> (6/23/2002 9:47:50 AM)

I'm just wondering why some of you made the T-34 one of your picks? Is it cost?
I haven't played a lot with Russian armor, but a lot with their infantry, and I haven't been that impressed with my results, haha, it may just be me.
But playing against Russian armor is seems like a joke, the armor is like cardboard, anything goes through it even at extreme distance. But whenever I face them, they always outnumber my armor.
So is it the cheap cost? If someone could fill me in on what I'm missing here, haha, I'd be greatful. Thanks

Hades -> (6/23/2002 11:32:19 AM)

I my opinion Russian tanks are the best there is. I can still remember the time that i fell in love with the IS series. A lone IS-3 was sitting on a crossroads defending it from the capitialist pigs. The IS-3 fired at an a shot at an Pershing coming over a hill. It missed. The Pershing fired back and hit, which unfortantly supressed the IS-3 into losing its last shot. The turn ended and at least two more Pershing climbed the hill and took shots at it. Most hit. Then some Easy 8s came and pounded it some more. The brave crew of the IS-3 held on for three more turns of this before being forced to bail out. No other tanks I've seen can take that much punishment.

stevemk1a -> (6/23/2002 11:50:17 AM)

Reply to Egg-Shen:
-Hello! it's nice and sunny here too! nice to hear from another wargamer in central B.C.! Any others out there? - there's no hope north of Hope....

screamer -> (6/24/2002 7:36:33 AM)

medium tanks

1:panther
2:T34-85
3:later shermans [E8, firefly] share #3 with late war PZ4

heavies

1:tiger1
2:JS3
3:pershing/JS2
why no tiger 2?? as is said already overkill expensive, big fuel consumption , large size just didnt fit late war requirements they should have produced the tiger1 after august44 instead of the tiger2

tank destroyers
1:jagdpanther
2:hetzer
3:JPZ4

Kevin E. Duguay -> Tanka, Tanka, Tanka! (6/24/2002 12:47:07 PM)

Best Tanks of the war and only three choices? I'll try!

Early war
Char B1 bis
Matilda II
Pz 38(t)

Mid war
Tiger I
Panther
Sherman

Late war
Tiger II
Panther
Pershing

Honourable mention early war
7TPjw Light armor but mechanicaly reliable and a good gun for the time.
Mid war
T-34 all makes because it deserves to be mentioned
Late War
A34 Comet Just a nice tank!
OOPS!! I just could'nt pick just three.
;)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI