Cost II (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

LuckyJim1005 -> Cost II (10/27/2009 7:26:57 PM)

I was the chump that started the 'Cost' thread.

It has taken me 106 pages of the manual, a few hours on the net and one game turn to realise what a fool I was.

I find myself wanting to track 'PO Greenwell 453 Sqn RAF - 2 Kills' progress through the war. Will Tenedos make it to Singapore.

What will become of Task force Z, the myriad of merchantmen that dot the Pacific Ocean and what fate awaits the DEI's.

This is the wargame I have been waiting for.

I want to 'feel' why this or that task force disengaged and went home rather than work out on a calculator why it it did. Was it the lack of local air, the commanders lack of inspiration, did I just 'get it wrong' as a staff officer sometimes would.

So I apologise for my original thread about the cost and say to those reading; Save your money, buy no other game for the next 6 months and get this.

Oh I have been bitten.

Terminus -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:32:50 PM)

Welcome to the dark side. You won't be spending any more money on your wargaming hobby for a loooooooooooong time.

morganbj -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:40:09 PM)

Aye, laddie.  Yer life is now ours!!!   Bwaaaahhhhhhaaaaaa!!

Seriously, welcome.

Oh, and PO Greenwell gets shot down at the hands of some hot-shot zero pilot.

(I just made that last part up.  Sorry.)

chesmart -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:41:38 PM)

Now that you have joined us kiss goodbye to your family life. In a couple of years when you look back you will be saying to yourself that this game has given you the best value for money ever.

Chickenboy -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:42:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1005

I was the chump that started the 'Cost' thread.

It has taken me 106 pages of the manual, a few hours on the net and one game turn to realise what a fool I was.

I find myself wanting to track 'PO Greenwell 453 Sqn RAF - 2 Kills' progress through the war. Will Tenedos make it to Singapore.

What will become of Task force Z, the myriad of merchantmen that dot the Pacific Ocean and what fate awaits the DEI's.

This is the wargame I have been waiting for.

I want to 'feel' why this or that task force disengaged and went home rather than work out on a calculator why it it did. Was it the lack of local air, the commanders lack of inspiration, did I just 'get it wrong' as a staff officer sometimes would.

So I apologise for my original thread about the cost and say to those reading; Save your money, buy no other game for the next 6 months and get this.

Oh I have been bitten.

ALL YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO US!

FOW -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:47:00 PM)

"Resistance is Futile"
"You have been Assimilated"

Welcome to the rest of your life - WITP:AE style

We forgive your past misdemeanour [:D]

ny59giants -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:48:46 PM)

"Resistance is futile"

Said in my best "AE Borg" voice. [:D]

ny59giants -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:49:30 PM)

[sm=00000436.gif]

Templer_12 -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 7:56:57 PM)

Another one bites the dust. [:D]

witpqs -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:01:28 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/14248/F5FC1FDC5B47480E8B504A88B5A731B3.gif[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:08:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOW

"Resistance is Futile"
"You have been Assimilated"

Welcome to the rest of your life - WITP:AE style

We forgive your past misdemeanour [:D]

Can't forget my favorite Borg line in context "We will add your distinctiveness to our collective."

treespider -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:09:01 PM)

Of course now that he is bitten ...

...he will realize that AE will turn out to be the most expensive game he has ever purchased...

...first he will spend money acquiring those rare historical works covering the topic...

...then he will incur costs covering the medical problems that crop up from the time spent in front of the computer...

...then his wife will leave him and take the house and both dogs also as a result of the time spent in front of the computer....

... in the end only to realize this wasn't the game he always wanted because...

...there is no Allied production system....or the OP loss rate on the Catalina is marginally higher than it was historically...or the bombing accuracy of a Kate pilot at 27,000' is too great.[;)][:D]

scott64 -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:12:54 PM)

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/10.gif[/img]

LuckyJim1005 -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:28:31 PM)

Treespider - spot on. Have already started to search Amazon for any noob books on the Pacific War.

Currently reading Dreadnoughts about the pre World War 1 years but after that the PACWAR and it's origins will be a must buy.

Any suggestions for a good noob read would be welcome.

fabertong -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:35:45 PM)

quote:

Treespider - spot on. Have already started to search Amazon for any noob books on the Pacific War.

Currently reading Dreadnoughts about the pre World War 1 years but after that the PACWAR and it's origins will be a must buy.

'Shattered Sword' is a must.....as all here will tell you.......have another glass of wine(as per origional post).....and enjoy the game.........

Swenslim -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:37:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Welcome to the dark side. You won't be spending any more money on your wargaming hobby for a loooooooooooong time.

Yep, this game is Evil, I dont think I gonna buy my lovely precious Football Manager 2010 this year [:@][sm=bow.gif][sm=fighting0045.gif]

witpqs -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:43:38 PM)

I'll save you some money with this one - get it from your library or even buy a used copy from practically zero from a library as a friend of mine did - Nimitz by E. B. Potter. It's his bio and a great read. Different than a pure WWII work I know, but worth it. Lot of incidental perspective about the navy from before the war.

LST Express -> RE: Cost II (10/27/2009 8:58:53 PM)

Game is a ball n chain in a fun way!

SuluSea -> RE: Cost II (10/28/2009 12:34:35 AM)

quote:

Welcome to the passion Jim, this truly is a phenominal game. I haven't read the first team yet but Cactus Air Force is a quick read and although 600 pages deep Bergerud's Fire in the Sky is excellent.

CMDRMCTOAST -> RE: Cost II (10/28/2009 7:30:56 AM)

And when you spend the 70$ for the gigantic printing of the entire pacific wall map
so you can mold it to a 50$ magnetic board and pick up the custom magnetic ship, aircraft and
LCU pieces to move about your office, just tell your wife its the board or the bar her choice...[;)]

USSAmerica -> RE: Cost II (10/28/2009 2:20:03 PM)

Welcome aboard, Jim!  [sm=00000436.gif]

oldman45 -> RE: Cost II (10/28/2009 4:04:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CMDRMCTOAST

And when you spend the 70$ for the gigantic printing of the entire pacific wall map
so you can mold it to a 50$ magnetic board and pick up the custom magnetic ship, aircraft and
LCU pieces to move about your office, just tell your wife its the board or the bar her choice...[;)]

I floated that by the old lady........

might get to skip the part about playing so much she leaves with the dog[X(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI