No B17s after July 42? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

moose1999 -> No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 2:23:02 PM)

I'm in Jan 43 and I'm beginning to get a little short on B17s.
Checking the aircraft replacement screen I see I don't seem to get any B17 replacements after July 42.
Is this really true?
Were no B17s going to the Pacific between July 42 and Sep 45?
I guess I need to start converting to Liberators, but they are pretty scarce too, right now.
And there's a lot of HB squadrons competing for replacements...

wdolson -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 2:34:47 PM)

Roosevelt and Churchill agreed on a Germany first strategy that would send the bulk of material to Europe as soon as the situation in the Pacific was stabilized.  That happened in June, 42 off Midway.  The 8th AF got priority for B-17s after that and the only American heavy bombers sent to the Pacific were B-24s.  B-26s turned out to be ill suited to the rough conditions on Pacific Islands, while B-25s fared better, so all B-26s went to Europe and the Med and the only US medium bomber sent to the Pacific were B-25s.

Stocks of USAAF bombers in general were very tight in late 1942.  The 5th AF got by with whatever it could scrounge until some newer aircraft types started to arrive in early 1943.

If anything, the game db is a little bit generous with heavy bombers from mid-1942 to around mid-1943 compared to the real war.

Bill

moose1999 -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 3:09:44 PM)

Thanks for the info!
It's nice to know the game is spot on with this.
And it makes for a better challenge that you have to juggle your assets a bit when playing the Allies.

jwilkerson -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 4:29:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
B-26s turned out to be ill suited to the rough conditions on Pacific Islands

In the game, B-26s seems to be perfectly suited to the Pacific!
[:D]

oldman45 -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 4:49:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Not in my game unless they are hitting starving jap marines at green island. They cannot hit a ship at 1000ft if their lives depended on it.

khyberbill -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 5:28:27 PM)

I am beginning to learn to love Wellingtons!

Mike Scholl -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 5:52:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

I think that's because the game doesn't reflect the B-26's major drawback for the Pacific..., very high wing-loading. Which means higher landing speeds, and poorer suitability for rough landing fields. In the air, it was a tough proposition for the Japanese..., but it was more susceptable to "operational losses" than more "forgiving" A/C like the B-25. In Europe this was less of a problem.

Sardaukar -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 6:08:39 PM)

B-26 was probably better bomber, in experienced hands. Main problem was indeed, that it required experienced pilot and most pilots were not experienced. B-26 was in pilot language "hot" plane, aka having unforgiving flight characteristics. This is reflected well in a saying about training losses happening in Florida where lot of B-26 training was conducted: "One a day in Tampa Bay.."

Also, one pilot commented that if one lost an engine during takeoff with B-25, one had good chances to survive...if same happened in B-26, one was dead unless he was very very good pilot.

By allocating B-26 to Europe and B-25 to Pacific, both theaters benefited.

freeboy -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/1/2009 8:31:22 PM)

add on, sorry for the hi jack.. but it is related in a lefty kind of way

How do I forsee, not the units coming in but future builds of planes for the Allies, it makes a huge difference in plane upgrades!?

wdolson -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/2/2009 12:29:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
I think that's because the game doesn't reflect the B-26's major drawback for the Pacific..., very high wing-loading. Which means higher landing speeds, and poorer suitability for rough landing fields. In the air, it was a tough proposition for the Japanese..., but it was more susceptable to "operational losses" than more "forgiving" A/C like the B-25. In Europe this was less of a problem.

The B-26 also had little ground clearance on the propellers. The props would often kick up rocks on the ground, which made being around them pretty hazardous.

Bill

khyberbill -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/2/2009 12:43:31 AM)

quote:

How do I forsee, not the units coming in but future builds of planes for the Allies, it makes a huge difference in plane upgrades!?

Go to the Intelligence Screen and check Aircraft Replacement Pool.

freeboy -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/2/2009 1:44:58 AM)

thanks.. much appreciated.. this will show future builds?

khyberbill -> RE: No B17s after July 42? (11/2/2009 9:40:31 AM)

yes, the date production starts and the date production ends.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI