question about aircraft type editing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

jtri70zq -> question about aircraft type editing (11/6/2009 10:41:04 PM)

Hello,

I'm new with the editor and I'm experimenting with adding new types.
I could nog find any explanation in the manual about the tick boxes on the right with the choices like "medium bomber", "light bomber capable"or "attack bomber"

Can someone explain to me what they are for or what they do?

thanks

Terminus -> RE: question about aircraft type editing (11/6/2009 10:45:07 PM)

They determine the sort of facilities that the aircraft need. For example, you can make an aircraft of the type "level bomber" and then tick the box "medium bomber". That makes it a "medium level bomber", with all the mission capabilities and base facility requirements.

Shark7 -> RE: question about aircraft type editing (11/7/2009 2:23:29 AM)

I'll expand on this a bit for you:

Heavy Bombers: Think B-17, B-24 and B-29. These require large airbases (Size 5+) to be used to their full potential and are best used against strategic targets.

Medium Bombers: B-25, B-26, Nell, Betty, etc. These are usually 2 engine bombers and have moderate requirements. (Size 4+ to utilize its full load, but can launch from smaller airfields with a reduced payload).

Attack Bombers: These would probably be best described as 'Close Air Support' types. I'm not sure what affect it has in game terms, but I do notice that the B-25H Mitchell is marked as such, and that is the version with the 75mm howitzer mounted in the nose.

wdolson -> RE: question about aircraft type editing (11/7/2009 5:00:00 AM)

Attack bombers are the only ones that can skip bomb if my memory serves. 

Bill

jtri70zq -> RE: question about aircraft type editing (11/7/2009 8:49:54 AM)

Ok, thanks for the answers.
It's starting to dawn a bit. But there is a thing still bugging me.

Let's say I'm adding a light recon aircraft like the Potez 25 which is capable of carrying light bombs. I add these bombs in a weapon slot. So the plane will be carrying these. But I see no difference if I choose to tick the box "light bomber capable" or not.

Either way the plane can only fly recon missions. Am I missing something?

Terminus -> RE: question about aircraft type editing (11/7/2009 12:42:43 PM)

You have to do that the other way around. Make it a light bomber, but give it the "camera" device.

akdreemer -> RE: question about aircraft type editing (11/8/2009 10:15:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Attack bombers are the only ones that can skip bomb if my memory serves. 

Bill

Interesting, however if true, is counter to historical events. History of skip bombers tells us that it was a B-17 pilot who developed this technique. Indeed, skip-bombing is not rocket science and did not 'require' specialized planes. It did have a tendency to put planes into a higher risk of being shot down by flak, which is the primary reason why the more valuable, and less maneuverable, 4E bombers were not used this way. This explains the installation of the large numbers of forward firing .50cal mg's in the nose and side blisters: flak suppression.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI