(Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support

elmo3 -> (7/15/2002 9:27:46 PM)

Just had my first crash with 1.11 while strafing an airbase. Saw a combat message about "belt armor" just before the crash. I don't think there were any ships parked at the airbase. :) No save game as it was turn 1.

I was playing on a Dell Optiplex GX110 with 128MB RAM and an old NVIDIA TNT2 M64 and DirectX 8.1.

elmo3 -> (7/15/2002 9:37:21 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elmo3
[B]Just had my first crash with 1.11 and playing green Hell head to head while strafing the Buna airbase. Saw a combat message about "belt armor" just before the crash. I don't think there were any ships parked at the airbase. :) No save game as it was turn 1.

I was playing on a Dell Optiplex GX110 with 128MB RAM and an old NVIDIA TNT2 M64 and DirectX 8.1. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nixuebrig -> (7/16/2002 9:01:46 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elmo3
[B]Just had my first crash with 1.11 while strafing an airbase. Saw a combat message about "belt armor" just before the crash. I don't think there were any ships parked at the airbase. :) No save game as it was turn 1.

I was playing on a Dell Optiplex GX110 with 128MB RAM and an old NVIDIA TNT2 M64 and DirectX 8.1. [/B][/QUOTE]

Is it one of the later scenarios? If so, just put a AP or and SC in slot one, then the crashing stops and the ship you assigne in slot One will be hit. In the earlier scens Akagi (i think) is in slot one, so she will always be strafed. but in the later scens there is no ship in slot 1 so it will crash.

Never looked if the ship really gets damaged.

willgamer -> (7/25/2002 1:03:21 PM)

Continuing to ctd after installing 1.2. In my case it's always on a left click to select after about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of play (5-6 turns). Playing solo Yamamatos Prophecy.

My machine:
Athlon 800 on Asus K7V mb; 512MB ram; 300MB virtual (fixed)
Creative Graphics Blaster Riva TNT video w/16MB
Soundblaster Live value edition

Win98se; starts w/ systray, explorer, poproxy only
DX8.1

Afaik current drivers.... most haven't changed in over a year...

Anything else I can add?

Erik Rutins -> Crash suggestions... (7/25/2002 7:33:15 PM)

Everyone still experiencing crashes, please try to duplicate your crashes with a fresh install of v1.20 and using only games that have been started under v1.20, since we fixed some OOB glitches that could theoretically cause crash behavior.

If you are still experiencing crashes after re-checking as described above and have gone through the FAQ, please post here to confirm. The absolute top of the next patch list is entirely filled with the crash bugs that have been reported, but some of these remain very difficult to track down.

Anyone who can send us a save file that causes a repeatable crash with a game started in v1.20 will get a big thank you. We do have all the saves already sent and they have been cataloged and tests have been run. I have been able to duplicate some crashes here after running through multiple of these saves in one session. Mike has not been able to get them to crash on his computer though, so more saves are much appreciated.

As far as I can tell, for some folks strafing contains some sort of crash catalyst as does zooming and scrolling the map. If you are having crashes and can avoid using these methods to see if it improves stability, a report would be appreciated.

Many folks have posted or e-mailed reporting that driver updates did clear up their crash problems. This is always the first thing to check, as recommended in the FAQ. In the case of folks with TNT or GeForce cards, there are almost always newer drivers available from nVidia. Don't go to your card vendor's site, instead go to nVidia's site and get the latest reference drivers. If you are brave, you can also try one of the sites listed in the FAQ to try even more recent beta drivers (the majority of which work just as well as the non-beta drivers).

Since sound drivers are such a prevalent problem, also make sure you try disabling your sound card and seeing if that improves stability. Any and all such insight that you can give us into what might be the specific cause for your system will only help us get your UV working smoothly. I know I've been over this ground before, but it bears reminding because of the continued success stories we hear.

We also hear of good results from folks running the more stable Microsoft OSes like Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Windows 98 / ME are much more testy when it comes to bad drivers, hardware glitches or memory leaks in the program.

Ultimately, there will be some crash situations that can't be fixed and that most likely indicate a system problem. However, we will continue to diligently approach every crash problem as potentially UV's problem and as potentially fixable.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins -> Response... (7/25/2002 7:35:00 PM)

Willgamer,

Thanks for the report, was this with a game started in v1.20?

If you haven't updated drivers in a year, there should be newer drivers for you motherboard chipset, sound card and graphics card. Check the FAQ and your vendor/chipset manufacturer's sites for the best selection of new drivers.

Regards,

- Erik

willgamer -> (7/26/2002 8:35:48 AM)

Erik,

The game was started under 1.11.

After checking, the drivers all seem to be up to date.

The only other thing that I can relate is that I can sometimes anticipate the ctd is coming soon when the background music cuts out briefly then returns (perhaps sounding just a little "off").

The game always restarts just fine and never ctds on the restarted turn.

Bill

willgamer -> (7/27/2002 3:58:02 PM)

O'k, I started a new game (#17) under 1.2 and played straight through to the 5/15 turn. At that point, I ctd on my first left click to select something after the new turn weather message.

Sparadicus -> Sound related crashes stopped (7/28/2002 9:47:12 AM)

I have finally been able to stop the sound related crashes and it was by installing a different driver. Unfortunately, it is not technically the correct driver for my sound card and I am now having sound problems in several other titles I play regularly. They are not as severe as the lock up/crashes I was having in UV, but did not occur at all prior to this new driver. UV is playing flawlessly, go figure(??).

The new driver is 'dsxgwdm'
The correct driver for my card (I believe) is 'Yamaha_dsxg_driver'.

My card is a Yamaha XG 64V Wavetable Sound

I just updated to v1.20, but will keep the new driver for now, as it doesn't appear v1.20 addressed any of the crash issues. Hopefully I'll be able to switch back after the next patch.

Thanks,
REB

fabius -> (7/31/2002 12:49:15 PM)

I wasn't getting any crashes with 1.11, but I am getting them with 1.2. I have a game that I started in 1.2 that consistently crashes in the same place, if you'd like me to send you the saved game file.

My system:

Win95
Pentium 500
128 RAM
GeForce II mx 400
Soundblaster Live value

I updated the sound and video drivers, did a clean reinstall of the game and the 1.2 update (didn't start a new game, though). I defragged and manually set virtual memory at over three times RAM. I disabled the sound card. Always crashes at the same place.

Erik Rutins -> Response... (7/31/2002 7:26:42 PM)

Fabius,

Yes, please send me a zipped save file (with instructions on how to duplicate the crash) to [email]erikr@matrixgames.com[/email]. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins -> Suggestion... (8/12/2002 10:13:15 PM)

Any of you still experiencing crashes, please try Start -> Run to launch dxdiag.exe, then go to Sound and set your Hardware Acceleration to none. Give it a try and let me know if it helps. Thanks to CommC for the suggestion.

Regards,

- Erik

fabius -> (8/12/2002 11:34:27 PM)

Didn't work for me on the game that I emailed to you.

Speedysteve -> (8/14/2002 4:31:04 PM)

Hi guys,

I've just experienced my first crash since owning the game. The game has worked fine for months and now it crashed during the combat phase.

Full information:

PBEM game. Loaded turn my opponent sent me and whenever the combat gets to him bombing/strafing my troops near Port Morseby the game crashes straight away without warning to Windows. I updated to the latest patch as soon as it came out. Sems to me like it may be a similar bug (strafing) as to whats been reported earlier. Just seems strange that it would crop up now when everything has been fine (vs AI and PBEM) since owning the game when it first came out.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Steven

Speedysteve -> (8/15/2002 1:38:33 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prince
[B]

Is it one of the later scenarios? If so, just put a AP or and SC in slot one, then the crashing stops and the ship you assigne in slot One will be hit. In the earlier scens Akagi (i think) is in slot one, so she will always be strafed. but in the later scens there is no ship in slot 1 so it will crash.

Never looked if the ship really gets damaged. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi there. Seems to me that i'm getting the same problem. My game crashes whenever I get to the part where 8 X P39D strafing. ***Belt Armour hit***. Could you explain to me what you mean by putting and AP/SC in slot 1?

Regards,

Steven

Speedysteve -> (8/15/2002 3:01:22 PM)

Anybody?!?

BPRE -> (8/15/2002 10:44:12 PM)

Hi Speedy,

I've only played as US against the AI and the AI never seems to send Jap aircraft on strafing missions so in my case it's never crashed.
A couple of times I wanted to look at both sides so I loaded the game with the computer as US and then I've seen these crashes. Could that be the reason you haven't seen this before? I think you have to strafe ground troops also for it to happen. Ships always work for me (at least from 1.11 and onwards).

As for putting a ship in position 1 I don't know for sure but I would guess you have to load the scenario into the Campaign Editor and to it there.
You can find the editor under the SCEN folder. Apparently it's not supported so that's why it isn't mentioned in the manual.

I hope this helps a bit.
/BPRE

Speedysteve -> (8/15/2002 11:26:23 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BPRE
[B]Hi Speedy,

I've only played as US against the AI and the AI never seems to send Jap aircraft on strafing missions so in my case it's never crashed.
A couple of times I wanted to look at both sides so I loaded the game with the computer as US and then I've seen these crashes. Could that be the reason you haven't seen this before? I think you have to strafe ground troops also for it to happen. Ships always work for me (at least from 1.11 and onwards).

As for putting a ship in position 1 I don't know for sure but I would guess you have to load the scenario into the Campaign Editor and to it there.
You can find the editor under the SCEN folder. Apparently it's not supported so that's why it isn't mentioned in the manual.

I hope this helps a bit.
/BPRE [/B][/QUOTE]

Cheers for that BPRE. Helps.

So far, except this PBEM, i've always played vs Jap AI so that follows with what you've said.

Only problem I see with changing the scenario is that it won't alter my current saved game right? As such we'll have to start all over again? Do you or anyone else know how to change a saved game preventing us having to start over again?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steven

BPRE -> (8/16/2002 12:59:35 AM)

Hi,

Sorry, but I don't think you can change the save file. I just fired up the editor and tried to load one of my save files but it wouldn't find it. I guess the original scenario files are a different format. Maybe somebody else knows something?

I imagine that if you avoid strafing attacks you should be able to continue but then I guess you need to reply the last turn (never tried PBEM so maybe it isn't possible?).

Good luck
BPRE

Luskan -> 1.3 CTD (8/22/2002 11:44:52 AM)

I've just had 3 CTD's in 6 game turns, always after the orders phase (seemingly always at night).
Have never had a problem prior to 1.3.
Am still investigating, will be restarting with a new game (possibly a corrupt save game file?)
Hoping so.

Luskan -> Never mind (8/22/2002 4:28:24 PM)

Looks liek save game file was fragmented all over my hard drive (not sure why - you'd think with 20 gb free there would be a nice spot to put that save002.dat but anyway). No CTD's since I restarted.

Strat -> Random blackouts (8/25/2002 4:50:38 PM)

First of all, GREAT GAME.
I ordered from Duchet late last sunday afternoon and it arrived on tuesday morning, that's fast delivery for ya.

Unfortunately I am experiencing complete random blackouts or crashes. It never happens at any particular event or time and it does not matter whether I'm playing the japs or the allies, the screen just goes black and I cannot exit at all, so I must actually reset my machine, however the game will crash quicker if I do not actually switch off (shut down) before re-booting.

My system spect is.-

Amd 1.4 (1050) mhz
15gig HD
256mb pc100 sdram
32mb tnt riva graphics plugged into an AGP slot (creative labs)
sound blaster (value) sound card (not installed because my 5 year old son scratched the disc and I cannot find a replacement anywhere and Creative don't seem to reply to email).
So I still have not heard how the game sounds.
Did wonder if this could be the problem but I have no troulble with other games.

All patches installed.
Any suggestions or tech help would be great.

Strat..

juliet7bravo -> (8/25/2002 10:22:16 PM)

The drivers for your sound card can be found here;

http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?centric=108

I'm had various display problems with the latest nVidia TNT drivers myself, the previous versions work fine though. Nothing like what you're seeing however.

Strat -> (8/26/2002 12:52:03 AM)

Thanks, but I cannot install the drivers because I have no software installation disc, if there is no software installed then the drivers will not work, i think????
Creative labs will not even bother to reply to my emails asking where I could get a replacement copy of the installation disc or DL it, just shows me they aint interested so when it comes to being able to afford to buy a new sound card, it won't come from Creative.

Just installed Norton anti virus just to see,
and guess what, Nortons does not get beyond 26% system scan before crashing, so I don't know if it is a virus.
Also, I cannot seem to de-frag my HD, I get these error messages

0e : 0028 : c0013b69
0e : 0028 : c0263930

and norton creates this error message

navw32 caused an error in KERNAL32.DLL

I think "navw" means "nortons anti virus something?"
To call nortan it will cost £2.99 a minute, **** wish I could make that kinda money.

Do you think that any of these error messages are related cause I didn't have much of a problem before installing UV.

Strat...

Edit. I just wrote Dam (spelt da mn with a commer","), is it a bad word or sommit in another lanquage, funny thing is, because it was blocked it looks like I could have said the f word or sommit.

juliet7bravo -> (8/26/2002 1:25:43 AM)

You don't need the soundcard software. It's just a bunch of foofoo programs that 99% of us never use anyway...all they do is use systems resources because you can't shut them down, and take up space on your HD. However, to get your system to recognize the sound card, you have to have the proper windows drivers for your card...otherwise, it usually won't be recognized. Most of the problems with games nowadays can be traced back to the sound cards it seems. If your system and hardware isn't properly installed and setup you can have all sorts of problems.

DL the drivers from Creative at the URL I gave you. Should tell you what you need to do to install them. It's probably as simple as putting them in a folder or onto a disk. Either go to the systems info, select the unidentified hardware, do to drivers, and click "have disk" and tell it to go to where you have the drivers DL'ed. If you have a soundcard, and it isn't properly setup, a high percentage of programs will not run correctly, period. UV is undoubtedly one of them.

It sounds like you might have other problems anyway. I would delete UV, and get your hardware configured, make sure you have everything setup correctly, latest drivers, your disk defragged and scanned for viruses before re-installing UV. You might need to do a clean install of Windows...that's something you need to do every 4-6 months anyway. There's some good free/shareware Windows optimzer programs out there (that are pretty foolproof) that will clean and buff your Windows registry and weed out the garbage. I'm using "Ashampoo Win Optimizer" and it seems to work pretty good.

All of Norton products suck and cause more problems than they solve IMO. But, if you've been using the internet/email without antivirus and firewall programs running, the odds of you having a virus is EXTREMELY high.

Strat -> (8/26/2002 4:17:09 AM)

Thanx, I'll try your suggestions, but I agree I'll probably have to reinstall windows as I have not done so for over a year, and yeah, I having been downloading and recieving loads of email without anti virus protection, and I believe this could well be the problem.
Question, will a complete re-install and fdisk clean the HD of all possible virus's?

Anyhow. I have installed UV on my wifes PC, she is crystal clean and her system works perfectly, about two hours into play scenario 15, me as japs against AI, crash, a "windows protection error" and I must restart the machine.... Am I just unlucky or something or has this been seen before??? not sure of her system spec but it's the same processor as mine wth the same memory and graphics card.

strat...

Spooky -> (8/26/2002 4:46:51 PM)

@Strat, what is your OS ? Is it Windows 98/ME or 2000/XP ?

As a Windows ME user, I sometimes get a crash after 2-3 hours of UV gameplay ... and a lot of alt-tab !

Anyway, in this case, I just reboot and use the autosave and it works fine after :)

Strat -> (8/30/2002 4:04:14 AM)

Correct. I am using win ME, thinking of upgrading sometime soon to XP, but I already have Win 98. how do these op sys work, I suspect 98 will be best.

Thanx

Strat..

XPav -> (8/30/2002 4:16:17 AM)

If you have a decent processor and a nice amount of RAM, get Windows XP.

It and Windows 2000 (its predecessor) are the most reliable Microsoft operating systems I've used, and I've used them all on many, many machines.

Strat -> (9/3/2002 1:37:24 AM)

Thanx, but unfortunately I cannot afford Win XP as it's £100 here in the UK, well at least my wife would have it that way, still I can't argue to much as she has agreed to a new sound card.

A new problem has arose though, every time I quit the game and shut down the PC or restart I get a crash screen saying something I have yet to write down, but the usual stuff like press a key to return to windows or cntl alt del to restart the machine. trouble is nothing I do works and this same screen appears so I have to switch off manually, which I hate to do.

Another problem is a bug I have found, maybe found before but I have not seen it in the post's.

When I attack with my fighters and bombers or just bombers at 100 meter altitude against a port or [B]airfield[/B] I noticed that CV ATAGI takes a hell of a belting, problem is, that particular CV is still in Japan, and even if it was in the SP what is it doing on an airfield, that would be really something, a flying carrier, or a huricane/typhoon/twister powerful enough to, well you get the picture, this happens whether I'm playing either side against the AI in at least scenario 15 and 19.

I'm playing 1.4

Strat..

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI