TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

dorjun driver -> TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/11/2009 10:43:29 PM)

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS PATCH TWO RR THE WORLD WONDERS

I dare say, you've missed the gist of the message.

Barb -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/11/2009 10:46:21 PM)

OT: Do anyone know another famous radio messages from ww2? :) S.O.S doesnt count. [:D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/11/2009 10:49:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

OT: Do anyone know another famous radio messages from ww2? :) S.O.S doesnt count. [:D]

"Sighted Sub, Sank Same."

And, while not a radio message, in honor of Veterans Day I offer, "Take her down!"

Barb -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/11/2009 11:03:55 PM)

"Scratch one flattop!" comes ot my mind

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/11/2009 11:25:48 PM)

"Sighted enemy carrier. Please notify next of kin."

And of course "Air raid Pearl Harbor. This is no drill." and "Tora, Tora, Tora!".

88l71 -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 12:16:07 AM)

"Destroyer gunning, Wahoo running"

wdolson -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 12:20:51 AM)

The one I like is the Hellcat pilot during, I think, the raid on Formosa.  TF 38 faced a similar situation to the Battle of the Philippine Sea except without the Japanese carriers (all Japanese A/C were land based).  The pilot called out, "I have about 50 Zeroes surrounded and I'm all alone, I could use some help!"

Bill

RevRick -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 1:46:45 AM)

My favorite...

"The Third Fleet's sunken and damaged ships have been salvaged and are retiring at high speed toward the enemy."

geobaz -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 2:43:09 AM)

During the Battle of Jutland, and shortly after a salvo struck HMS Princess Royal a signalman promptly leapt onto the bridge of Admiral Beatty's flagship, HMS Lion, and announced "Princess Royal's blown up, Sir." Beatty famously turned to his flag captain, saying "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today."

fbs -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 3:09:09 AM)

Famous radio message:

"Veni, Vide, Vici"

Except that there was no radio by that time.. :--(

Cheers
fbs

Boozecamp -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 3:42:57 AM)

Didn't Arleigh Burke receive his nickname from a radio message?  "31-Knot Burke so on and so forth..."  

dorjun driver -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 4:54:35 AM)

Ya'll are nothing, if not subtle.[8D]

RCNVR -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 5:17:03 AM)

An interesting book "Make Another Signal" by Jack Broome has quite a few signals mostly RN from 1700s to post WW2

Here are a couple not famous but...

To a corvette trying to make port after striking a mine.
"Do not sink in swept channel" fm CinC Western Approaches

To HMS Illustrious after Taranto Raid
"Manoeuvre well executed" fm CinC Med

Fm Submarine returning from patrol to base
"Expect to arrive 1800 in friendly aircraft will stop bombing me" (Can this happen in WITP AE? have not seen it myself)

Fm Formidable (after being attacked by Kamikaze) to Indomitable (flying flag of Admiral Vian)
"Little Yellow Bastard"
"Are you referring to me"

May 15/16 1945 when a RN Destroyer group caught and sank a IJN CA Haguro (I think)
DD (firing a starshell) "Am illuminating the enemy"
Capt D "Think that is me"

Mynok -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 5:51:58 AM)

And let us not forget the greatest of sea admirals who said:

“No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.”

thegreatwent -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 6:12:05 AM)

quote:

And let us not forget the greatest of sea admirals who said:

“No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.”

Don't forget the signal he flew at Trafalgar. "England expects that every man will do his duty"

thegreatwent -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 6:13:30 AM)

During Coral Sea IIRC "Scratch one flattop" after bombing the snot out of the Shoho

Flying Tiger -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 6:18:30 AM)

quote:

Don't forget the signal he flew at Trafalgar. "England expects that every man will do his duty"

I thought the signal was:

"where's the bloody patch?"

but i could be wrong.

Anthropoid -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 9:37:51 AM)

Jap AI just "sank" Wake Island and I got the surprise message from Jap radio gal [:D] Pretty kewl. Nice job guys!

88l71 -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 9:40:06 AM)

Almost forgot my personal favorite, even the Brits couldn't rival this one for understatement:

"...the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan’s advantage..."

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 10:12:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The one I like is the Hellcat pilot during, I think, the raid on Formosa.  TF 38 faced a similar situation to the Battle of the Philippine Sea except without the Japanese carriers (all Japanese A/C were land based).  The pilot called out, "I have about 50 Zeroes surrounded and I'm all alone, I could use some help!"

Bill

Reminds me of the sour remark "Here come the last 50 Spitfires - again!" by some German fighter pilot (Galland?) during the Battle of Britain. Göring had claimed that the RAF Fighter Command was on its last legs and had maybe 50 fighters left - but the RAF kept sending strong forces to intercept the Luftwaffe raids.

xj900uk -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 1:39:23 PM)

From World War I :

Should have been 'Send Reinforcements, we're going to Advance',  but it was presented at GHQ as 'Send three and four pence,  we're going to a dance'.

joey -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 3:54:37 PM)

This may not be a radio message, but it is an interesting conversation anyway. It is between Admiral Tripitz and the Kaiser concering declaring war in 1914.
Tripitz, "Why do we have to declare war against France? We are already at war with them; they are bombing us! What value is declaring war in that case?"
Kaiser, "They are only bombing us because we are telling the world they are, so that they look like the agressor. There not really bombing us"
Tripitz, "What does that matter? They are bombing us!"

Braedonnal -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 9:54:12 PM)

"Good luck, Joe.  Keep after him.  Your picture is on the piano."  Message from Adm. Lockwood to Joe Enwright on Archerfish while hunting Shinano.

"We do not recognize you."
"Cactus, this is Lee.  Tell your big boss Ching Lee is here and wants the latest infomation."
"There go two big ones, but I don't know who they are."
"This is Ching Chong China Lee! Chinese, catchee? Refer your boss about Ching Lee. Call off your boys!"
"Identity established. We are not after you."

Exchange between Cactus, PT boats out of Tulagi, Admiral Lee prior to Second Battle of Guadalcanal.

crsutton -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 10:19:35 PM)

"cq - cq- cq - transmit to Mr. Churchill. I have sunk the British steamer "Firby". Posit 59.40 North and 13.50 West. Save the crew, if you please.
German submarine."

Korvettenkapitan  Herbert Schultze

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 10:29:57 PM)

It was Pappy Boyington in a USMC Corsair. He was dodging in and out of clouds over a Japanese airfield while pursued by many Zeroes. He heard another American pilot complain about not being able to find any of the enemy. If my recollection is correct, Pappy hit his microphone button and replied,

"Why you silly bastard, come to Angels ## (his altitude) over the X corner of Y island. I've got ## cornered of them over here!"

quote:

Bill

Kwik E Mart -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 11:20:51 PM)

Tokyo Rose: "Hello you fighting orphans in the Pacific. How’s tricks? This is “After her weekend, and oooh, back on the air, strictly under union hours.” Reception okay? Why, it better be, because this is All-Requests night. And I’ve got a pretty nice program for my favorite little family, the wandering boneheads of the Pacific Islands. The first request is made by none other than the boss. And guess what? He wants Bonnie Baker in “My Resistance is Low.” My, what taste you have, sir, she says."

wdolson -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/12/2009 11:36:27 PM)

quote:

The one I like is the Hellcat pilot during, I think, the raid on Formosa. TF 38 faced a similar situation to the Battle of the Philippine Sea except without the Japanese carriers (all Japanese A/C were land based). The pilot called out, "I have about 50 Zeroes surrounded and I'm all alone, I could use some help!"

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom_Holsinger

It was Pappy Boyington in a USMC Corsair. He was dodging in and out of clouds over a Japanese airfield while pursued by many Zeroes. He heard another American pilot complain about not being able to find any of the enemy. If my recollection is correct, Pappy hit his microphone button and replied,

"Why you silly bastard, come to Angels ## (his altitude) over the X corner of Y island. I've got ## cornered of them over here!"

Boyington may have said something similar, but I looked it up. The incident I was thinking of was Wilbur "Spider" Webb of VF-2 on June 19,1944 over Guam. He did shoot down five of them becoming an ace in a day.

Bill

jcjordan -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/13/2009 12:29:35 AM)

From the past - "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!!" or in the vernacular of the War of Northern Aggression "Damn, the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" The last comment might be best suited to when Bettys & Nells are around [:'(]

USSAmerica -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/13/2009 12:57:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

From the past - "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!!" or in the vernacular of the War of Northern Aggression "Damn, the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" The last comment might be best suited to when Bettys & Nells are around [:'(]

A classic quote, but more suited when a minefield is detected. In the time of the Civil War, torpedoes were a reference to mines. [;)]

USSAmerica -> RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER (11/13/2009 12:58:18 AM)

Here's another one, " Is patch 2 ready yet?"  - USS America.  [:D]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI