RE: A how-to for beginners (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room

larryfulkerson -> RE: A how-to for beginners (11/26/2010 11:22:30 PM)

You are very welcome.  I'd publish some more but time doesn't permit.......I've got four PBEM games going simultaneously and I'm as busy as a cat on a five-hole birdhouse.

Well, okay, you talked me into it. Here's another detailed AAR about Campaign for South Vietnam:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p7mgej59xvor3qo/CSV%20turn%201.zip

argekay -> RE: A how-to for beginners (7/26/2011 7:36:36 AM)

Thanks Larry. Great progression - and very illuminating to have your thought processes along with the moves.

xnavytc -> RE: A how-to for beginners (7/26/2011 4:34:03 PM)

larry how do i get the pics to show in the html, i have them in my pictures and i am going back and forth reading and looking

Tran ET1(SS)

Telumar -> RE: A how-to for beginners (7/26/2011 6:54:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: xnavytc

larry how do i get the pics to show in the html, i have them in my pictures and i am going back and forth reading and looking

Tran ET1(SS)

Larry might be too occupied with a certain East Front Operational Level Wargame..

I doubleclick the html file in the zip folder and it works for me. If this doesn't work for you, i'd put the pictures and the html file into the same folder anywhere on your PC.

1_Lzard -> RE: A how-to for beginners (7/27/2011 2:00:35 AM)

My easy way, Tran, is to dl the zip, put it in a new folder, extract, view.........works for me, eh?

[:D]

xnavytc -> RE: A how-to for beginners (7/27/2011 6:26:09 PM)

thanks telumar and lizard, got it to work now, man not sure what it was but it works now, thanks again

Tran
ET1(SS)

Magpius -> RE: A how-to for beginners (9/3/2011 4:10:15 AM)

Thanks you very much for these Larry.
I played COW many moons ago, and just purchased TOAWIII.
This has been a fantastic refresher.
One of the great things about the matrix community, is the willingness of others to lend support to perm-noobs, such as me.
-appreciated.
Also I really enjoy reading your animated gif aar's. Enthralling stuff.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: A how-to for beginners (9/3/2011 5:10:25 AM)

How'sit goin' mate?

Talking about a re-fresher; mind to play test or provide me with feedback for the fast & furious
scenario 48th PzK, as well as the Tutorial slides the Oberst created? You find them at the Gefechtsstand!

Klink, Oberst

Magpius -> RE: A how-to for beginners (9/4/2011 12:08:07 AM)

Vielen Dank
Herr Klink
I've downloaded the scenario.
I really like the subtle colours of the map in your site banner.
Is that an available mod, or did you tweak that for your blog?
regards
A.
I was unable to download the 41.jpg files, no popup option like the scenario. But your screen pick with the talk bubble looked very promising.
Really nice setup on wordpress.
Aesthetically pleasing colour pallette and layout.

serumph -> RE: A how-to for beginners (9/4/2011 2:41:12 AM)

Larry, these documents are a godsend for me. I am disabled and spending some time playing Directive 21. Although I am an experienced war gamer, the complexities of TOAW have been daunting. For example, is it really worth it to execute the pre emptive airstrikes and waste 20% of the turn at the start, or is it better to have the mps available for my spearheads? Is it better to designate artillery for particular attacks, or to set all arty on tac reserve? Is it better to use limited air assets generally, or to specify certain air attacks for key positional gains. I have trouble evaluating these issues. Also the window you provide on your decisional process is invaluable to me. Thanks so much for taking the time to create this amazing resource.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: A how-to for beginners (9/4/2011 9:13:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agent S

Vielen Dank
Herr Klink
I've downloaded the scenario.
I really like the subtle colours of the map in your site banner.
Is that an available mod, or did you tweak that for your blog?
regards
A.
I was unable to download the 41.jpg files, no popup option like the scenario. But your screen pick with the talk bubble looked very promising.
Really nice setup on wordpress.
Aesthetically pleasing colour pallette and layout.

I used a standard template available for Wordpress. I am quite idle lately *the sun and heat in Cyprus*, but will try to update the blog on a more regular base. The map/background/banner; it's from my State Farm 79 scenario :D

Klink, Oberst

MPHopcroft1 -> RE: A how-to for beginners (10/3/2011 10:10:11 PM)

One question I have is what happens with an attack. In Version 3.4, I can't seem to plan an attack the way I used to in earlier versions. The other problem is that I am playing in a scenario right now where it seems nothing can happen -- I can't see the enemy and I can't move my troops.

Then again I was never as sound a tactician as I would have liked to be. Playing Arrancourt today against the PO (who played the Germans) I got my lunch handed to me.

1_Lzard -> RE: A how-to for beginners (10/3/2011 11:21:04 PM)

I'll probably regret this, but 'what scenario'?

It's of note that the Manual is slightly out of date, but there IS the 'What's New' that should appear in your main folder.........which should tell you what has been changed, eh?

Oberst_Klink -> RE: A how-to for beginners (10/5/2011 5:11:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MPHopcroft

One question I have is what happens with an attack. In Version 3.4, I can't seem to plan an attack the way I used to in earlier versions. The other problem is that I am playing in a scenario right now where it seems nothing can happen -- I can't see the enemy and I can't move my troops.

Then again I was never as sound a tactician as I would have liked to be. Playing Arrancourt today against the PO (who played the Germans) I got my lunch handed to me.

In order to have a step by step look at how the basic mechanics of 3.4 work... why not visiting the Gefechtsstand and download the custom made scenario and tutorial slides?

Klink, Oberst

ogar -> RE: A how-to for beginners (10/5/2011 7:07:47 PM)

@MPHopcroft,

I'll recommend checking out Klink's tutorial work -- it's good stuff. And his 48 PzKorp is a nice small scenario as well.

A wild guess -- if you're playing Anzio 2KM, and you're the Germans -- most of those units are inactive for the first few turns -- they slowly wake up. And some -- like the static flak units -- are just that, static unless attacked. If you're the Allies, then turn 1 is bookkeeping -- nobody moves. By turn 2, things heat up. Oh, most of the Allied air units are only available by TO -- (64th FW is always ready after T1). If I guessed wrong on the scenario, L'zard's response makes sense -- which one's giving you problems.

And yes, 3.4 has some major changes/effects. If you havent played in a while, it's a different ballgame.

larryfulkerson -> RE: A how-to for beginners (10/24/2011 7:15:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Gerry Leb
Larry, these documents are a godsend for me.

Good.  I'm glad somebody is getting some use out of them.  It was a blast putting them together.

quote:

I am disabled and spending some time playing Directive 21.

I never made it all the way through that scenario ( D21 ), so I'd be interested in your adventures.  Doing an AAR?

quote:

Although I am an experienced war gamer, the complexities of TOAW have been daunting. For example, is it really worth it to execute the pre emptive airstrikes and waste 20% of the turn at the start, or is it better to have the mps available for my spearheads?

Um.......it depends on the situation.  If you're on a strategic offensive posture then the available MP's might best be used in the spearheads.  But if the front isn't
moving very much you can profitably bomb the enemy arty pieces to try to get them to disentrench so they won't fire when you move/attack with your land units.

quote:

Is it better to designate artillery for particular attacks, or to set all arty on tac reserve?

If there's a particular attack that simply MUST succeed then by all means designate the arty for it as well.  But if you're trying to "spread out" the arty support amoung several areas then I say leave them on reserve.

quote:

Is it better to use limited air assets generally, or to specify certain air attacks for key positional gains.

My understanding is that arty and aircraft that are specifically designated on attacks execute their attacks at full strength instead of just half.  Also, to keep the air
assets from striking targets you would rather be left alone then it's best to designate the attacks for each air unit.  Targets that probably don't need to be attacked
are AAA units etc.

quote:

I have trouble evaluating these issues. Also the window you provide on your decisional process is invaluable to me. Thanks so much for taking the time to create this amazing resource.

Um.......I am required by law to provide the following disclamer:  I am not an expert in TOAW I just happen to post a lot.  You'd probably be better served by an
expert in strategy / tactics.  At the time I'm writing this post I'm involved in two PBEM games in WITE and am doing AAR's for them.  One I'm losing and one it's
still up for grabs.  But I'm leaning a lot about WITE.  So I can completely understand being perplexed trying to figure out all the issues involved and making a good
decision.  It's part of the process of TOAW and WITE both.  I love both games, and I'm looking forward to doing an AAR about a TOAW game that uses WITE tactics
as much as possible.  Probably FITE again.  Because it's the closest to WITE right now.

Crossroads -> RE: A how-to for beginners (1/31/2012 11:19:20 AM)

Larry, thanks a ton for your efforts in putting this documentation together! I just bought TOAW and have found these very useful indeed :)

larryfulkerson -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/11/2012 5:52:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads
Larry, thanks a ton for your efforts in putting this documentation together! I just bought TOAW and have found these very useful indeed :)

My first love in wargaming was TOAW and I still have high hopes that all the incongruaties can be worked out and TOAW can be the perfect wargame. There's a ton of scenarios for it and it's flexible enough to model almost every situation on the ground. It's a dream come true.

WITE is just one conflict, the German-Russian war. And it's really really good for that. But that's all it does. TOAW can model situations from the 18th-century up to the latest situation in Afganistan or Iraq. I love it.

1st Sgt Tnic -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 8:54:00 AM)

Larry I echo the rest. Thanks for taking the time to put these great tutorials together.

I must confess though that when I started out last week it was all somewhat overwhelming so I just said "screw it" and started playing. [:D]

Now that I've got to turn 70 in Italy 43 (with a cohesive battle line I might add) I'm started to get a handle on things and pledge to pour over your works of war to gain some better insights.

-Also, I need to learn how to do this in advanced mode. I tried it, but got pretty darned messed up when the German outfits would suddenly appear out of nowhere whenever I moved a unit in place for a strategic attack and ruin the plan I had in mind.

Now it's time for breakfast and then back to liberating Italy.

Thanks again Larry.

shunwick -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 9:29:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1st Sgt Tnic

Also, I need to learn how to do this in advanced mode.

!st Sgt Tnic,

My advice, even though it may be tough to begin with, is to get into advanced mode as quickly as possible. Many scenario designers have been playing the game for so long that they have forgeottten that Standard mode exists. Consequently, many of the scenarios will not play correctly under Standard.

I have always felt that Standard mode was badly named. Advanced mode is the standard in the sense that it is the mode that everyone plays. It is a much richer experience and I guarantee that once you get used to it you will find that it enhances your enjoyment of the game.

Best wishes,
Steve

Nowi Ribak -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 12:07:18 PM)

I can only underline what shunwick said about the "advanced mode".

Maybe it should be called "standard mode" and the "standard mode" should be called "beginners mode" or something like that.
All PBEM-games (well, all that I know of) are played with the advanced rules.
I myself started to play with them from the start on and never had any big troubles.

Just give it a try!
Greets,
Ribak

1st Sgt Tnic -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 1:42:02 PM)

Thanks guys. I'll have to suck it up and get on with it.

Italy 43 is up to turn 78 or so and near the end of the anticipated 8o turns. I'll see what I can do in advanced with the rest of this scenario.

After having skimmed a little more in the manual I'm guessing the sudden appearence of enemy troops has something to do with the Fog of War function.

Sorry for being such a noob, but I AM a noob to war gaming in general. The closest I''ve come to it in my foggy past is Risk and Axis & Allies board games. Both fun, but a far cry from TOAW.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 4:13:04 PM)

quote:

...the German outfits would suddenly appear out of nowhere whenever I moved a unit in place for a strategic attack ...

As the others have said, forget the Standard Mode and go with Advanced. You can turn 'Fog of War' off for a while if you like, but try to get yourself back to 'On' as soon as you can.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 4:16:03 PM)

quote:

Many scenario designers have been playing the game for so long that they have forgeottten that Standard mode exists.

Truly. Its not even listed in scenario briefings as to which set of rules to use.

1st Sgt Tnic -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 4:53:57 PM)

Thanks guys. Made it through a couple turns with Advanced as the standard mode. All's well, but Fog stays off for awhile as I just like to see what I'm up against. I def like using the options that advanced gives me.

shunwick -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 8:32:30 PM)

1st Sgt Tnic,

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions, no matter how basic, don't worry about asking. Plenty of people here only too happy to help.

And you have absolutely no need to apologise for being a noobie. We have all been there.

I am still a novice and I've been playing the damn thing since 1998. [:)]

By the way, fog of war is great. Just remember - just because you can't see it - it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Best wishes,
Steve

1st Sgt Tnic -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 8:59:20 PM)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I ended the Italy 43 campaign in a draw about half way up "the shoe" at turn 82.

On to Cobra 44. I'm stuck aon the beach at Normandy now trying to break out. It's a bit boring just pounding away with artie, but it seems to be working and I use a little armor to knock the last unit out of a hex.

My big question this time is;

How do I resupply ships?

I have a small flotilla of brit pea shooters that are down to 50% supply and I'd like to refill the magazines. I have parked em around some supply points in the AO, but nothing showed up when I cycled to the next turn.

DO I need to boogy back to merry ole Emgland for ammo?

I did look through the help files but couldn't find anything definite.

Tanks guys!

shunwick -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/28/2012 10:48:17 PM)

1st Sgt Tnic,

You should not be having any problems with getting supply for your ships. I am assuming you mean France 1944 Cobra since Cobra 44 has no ships.

Still, in general, ships get resupplied at sea and you can always move them into a friendly port for resupply. But the thing is - you should be getting supply. It works for me anyway.

Best wishes,
Steve

1st Sgt Tnic -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/29/2012 4:31:00 AM)

Hmm, ok. I'll go another turn or two and keep an eye on them. SO basically if I just stop shooting I should see the supply level rise then?

Thanks Shunwick and yes its France 1944 Cobra

Oberst_Klink -> RE: A how-to for beginners (2/29/2012 9:27:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1st Sgt Tnic

Hmm, ok. I'll go another turn or two and keep an eye on them. SO basically if I just stop shooting I should see the supply level rise then?

Thanks Shunwick and yes its France 1944 Cobra

To understand the basic mechanics of the game... have a look at my tutorial. You can find it at the Gefechtsstand. Regarding supply, see - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2605708&mpage=1&key=Supply�

Klink, Oberst

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI