Bugs and suggestions for improvements (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support

Oleg Mastruko -> Bugs and suggestions for improvements (6/24/2002 6:33:29 PM)

OK, some observations... some of them are IMO bugs, others are just my personal judgements and suggestions. I play under 1.11, as IJN.

- PBEM support is SNAFU. Playing as Japanese I always got replay from American standpoint, with American officer and all that. In other words, replays are the same for both players. I do not see American dispositions during replay, but I do see the same combat reports as my American opponent. Should not it be like, I see what my pilots THINK they saw, and American sees what his pilots think they saw - not always the truth and not always the same reports? It's not like this right now.

- Related to previous issue: recon and naval patrol sightings. In every replay I am able to see sightings from the standpoint of my enemy, as he is able to see mine.

- Allied damage control is unrealistically efficient. I put (according to identical combat report seen by me AND my opponent) 3 torps and 1 bomb into Lex, and have seen "fuel storage exploision" on the screen, and yet two days later (with not a day spent in port) when scenario ended ship was in near mint condition. I don't have exact numbers for what I called "near mint condition", and this is not a "bug report" per se, just my (subjective) opinion, based on other incidents as well. On the other hand - Japanese ships are certain to sink from way less damage. We all know Jap ships sometimes sunk after ridicoulous incidents, but this is IMO too much. Maybe the damage control should be made random, on a ship per ship, or incident per incident basis, within certain constraints? Like, some major Jap ships sink after receiving a single torp, while others have at least DECENT damage control? And Allied DC should be lowered altogether. Not every US ship was Yorktown. Turning damage control rule on in game menu gives unrealistic advantage to allied player right now IMO.

- Either CAPs in general, or Zeros, are unrealistically inefficient. 10-plane CAP, 15-plane CAP etc not managing to stop the strike or to destroy more than 1-2 planes? Yes I know about fatigue but still... generally I am very much disappointed by CAP and LRCAP performance (or is it Zeros that are the problem? I doubt it)

- My opponent reported strange occurence: during his aerial attack on Gili Gili he saw 2x Zero defending, and yet when "action screen" arrived there were, according to him, 5 Zeros there (not that they did much difference - see my point above re CAP being inefficient)

That's it for now :o) Again, great game... should be made even greater if at all possible :o) I'd LOVE to see this engine used in Mediterranean game, after WITP...

Oleg

msaario -> (6/25/2002 2:34:50 PM)

I agree totally on the Zero issue!

I can't believe my Tainan units are barely getting 1:1 kill ratio against US planes (P39, P40 etc) in Port Moresby, if they ever even fly there! How many has read the book Samurai by Saburo Sakai (I have, 10+ times)? The Tainan regiment was kicking *** in the early months of the war. Sakai was credited with several dozens of kills in the theatre in a few months, now my whole air unit is getting less kills than he scored by himself!

Seriously, the Airacobras and P-40s in the Summer of 1942 were no match against the best trained fighter pilots in the world flying the best aircraft of the day!

--Mikko

msaario -> (7/1/2002 1:49:31 PM)

I have additional comments about the "ace" (or the missing ace) issue after playing more of the game.

I believe strongly that the pilots with 90+ experience should be very difficult to kill in combat. Ok, there is flak, machine gun fire from bombers etc that you can't avoid, but in a dogfight it should be very difficult to shoot down a pilot like that.

I've lost Sasai, Nishizawa and a number of other top class pilots in a few months and all they accomplished was 1-2 kills before they were lost. My best pilot has six kills - just got the american with seven - so they really are not up to the historical figures, especially on the Japanese side.

--Mikko

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI