A New Dilemma for Wargamers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns

Wild Bill -> A New Dilemma for Wargamers (6/25/2002 8:08:04 AM)

There was a time when people were always looking for new scenarios for their favorite games. With the advent of the editor in wargames, a whole new aspect of the hobby was opened.

In the first years, new scenarios were not that available, and a number that were turned out to be disappointing.

But Wargamers learn fast and in the last two years, with the marked improvements in editing features, a huge flood of scenarios and campaigns have innundated the community.

Is that a bad thing? No, not at all! With all the great tools provided in games like SPWAW, SPWW2, Combat Mission, the Squad Battle Series and others, battle recreation has taken on a whole new meaning.

So today, instead of people begging for scenarios, designers are asking folks to try their handiwork. The sands of the hourglass have shifted with almost more scenarios than folks have time to play!

Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. Now gamers many choices for their gaming experiences to both enrich their knowledge of history and to relive some pretty famous moments and some not so well known.

Scenario design is now a common thing. Everyone is trying it. Some are doing magnificent work; others are still struggling to get that magic in their creations. But all of these folks have enjoyed the wonder of creating something, something of their own.

So actually, it is a good thing. The only problem for the gamer now is to find the time to play them all. I guess this dilemma is much better than the former, don't you think?

Or...what do you think?

Wild Bill

Supervisor -> (6/25/2002 9:18:54 AM)

Thats my problem, so many good scenarios/campaigns being produced and not enough time to work, play, test, PBEM and moderate. I try my darndest to assist those who want something tested before it's released to the public. Just ask REMF (aka Warrior) he hates it when I test his, because he ususally has to make 3-4 major changes before going final. Maybe thats why I don't get invites anymore.LOL:D But all in all I think it's a good thing because many who have never tried to create are trying it now and finding out they like it and how hard it really is.

Orzel Bialy -> Hmmmmm.... (6/25/2002 9:31:08 AM)

Wild Bill....you pose an interesting dilemma indeed!
Is it worse to be starving or to be hungry and standing at a buffet table jammed with food, but noticing that your belt buckle is already creaking and is giving signs of giving way?

I'll take the latter! ;)

I have tried some designing myself...made some small scenarios and tried a short campaign (which met with disaster when I erased some of the files by mistake...that took the wind out of my sails :( ) But, having learned a lesson ( always make a back up of your files!!!...then make a second one on CD or Floppy!!!! ;) ) I have begun again.
Anyway, it's my opinion (see that Goblin....my opinion strikes again! ;) ) that the more people that get involved the richer the we all our. I have played scenarios from Redleg, REMF and M4 Jess...just to name a few...and they have been great entertainment and challenges.

So yes, the more the merrier! I'll make the time somewhere to play to ones that strike my fancy!

Warrior -> (6/25/2002 6:58:54 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gmenfan
[B]I try my darndest to assist those who want something tested before it's released to the public. Just ask REMF (aka Warrior) he hates it when I test his, because he ususally has to make 3-4 major changes before going final. Maybe thats why I don't get invites anymore. LOL[/B][/QUOTE]

gmenfan exaggerates. Actually I consider him one of my most trusted testers. I feel guilty that I've sent him scenarios and then decided to change them, and then the changes need to be tested, but I hate to ask him to test it again. Never fear, Mike, you'll get more from me. :D When I have [I]Hell In The Hurtgen[/I] finished, I'm going to start on a post-war battle between the Allies and Reds.

Supervisor -> (6/25/2002 8:09:17 PM)

Just having some fun Steve, don't you fret it. Looks like you got a new armor scenario on Fabios site that requires my attention. I like armor battles, they don't argue with the commander as much as humans do.:)

Grenadier -> (6/25/2002 9:48:07 PM)

And Steve(nee Sgt Averitz) was one of my best LV testers. What goes around comes around:D

ivantheterrible -> (6/25/2002 11:18:45 PM)

I agree that this dilemma is better. I remember back to the old SP I days... I played every single scenario and campaign that came with the game, and TONS of generated long campaign, and downloaded just about every SP I scenario I could found over the internet.

I've played most of the scenarios that came with SPWAW 4.3 (or thereabout) when it first came out. Now, I've only completed maybe one quarter of the scenarios that came with SPWAW 7.1, half a Megacam (with 2 more not yet touched!). I did finish all the 7.1 campaigns.

Between constantly wanting to play "just one more turn", and the mundane daily stuff like eating, showering.... ARRRRGGGG :rolleyes:

Wild Bill -> (6/26/2002 7:37:51 AM)

I agree too...for a couple of reasons.

It is a chance to be creative, really creative. That is a very good thing.

It is also an opportunity to see a different approach to a battle through different eyes.

Each designer has a style, a way of doing things. New designers...new twists.

So bring them on. I only ask that you follow the WBW Raider rules before you put them out there for the rest of the community.

1. Plan carefully.
2. Be thorough, both in research and design.
3. Review your work. Review it again. Test it yourself.
4. Write a good text file. Catch your mispellings. Remember, the text is the anteroom to your scenario. Poorly done texts usually make me pass the scenario.
5. Have your work tested by others. Listen to what they have to say. Testers can make or break you. And let them know you appreciate their efforts.

Do those things and I promise you'll have a piece of work of which you can be very proud.

Wild Bill

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI