Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Field of Glory Series

Erik Rutins -> Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (11/30/2009 5:10:09 PM)

Review on Warfare and Wargaming (Swords and Scimitars Review)
All in all, the Swords and Scimitars expansion module for FOG was a lot of broad sword swinging fun, easy to play and fast, realistic and hardware friendly to boot.
http://warandgamemsw.devhub.com/blog/586983-pc-game-review-field-of-glory-swords-and-scimitars-the-pewter-perspective/

4/5 Stars - Avault.com (Swords and Scimitars Review)
The interface is easy to use, the way the it has been streamlined makes it possible to play a few turns before walking the dog, the PBEM is absolutely seamless… the best I’ve EVER seen… and Swords & Scimitars adds even more to a game that already has an impressive amount of content, with more expansions on the way.
http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/field-glory-swords-scimitars-pc-review/

4/5 Stars - DigitallyDownloaded.net
The prefect travel companion for strategy buffs, who quite obviously cant carry their miniature armies around.
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2011/04/game-you-may-have-missed-field-of-glory.html

Tea Leaves: "...if you love strategy games, and you love games themed on ancient warfare, you must buy this game."

http://tleaves.com/2010/01/12/field-of-glory/

GameSquad: Jim Cobb awards it a 90% (Superb) and says "Accurate; great unit graphics; accessible mechanics; fine multi-play; versatile editor."

http://gamesquad.com/node/674

Flash of Steel says: "Field of Glory satisfies two itches at once. First, it is a very simple and very fast playing wargame, second, it is an ancients game"

http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2009/11/23/field-of-glory-id-like-some-more-please/

The Wargamer says: "Wargamers who enjoy battlefields of the ancient are going to love this game"

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2801/field-of-glory-

Hertston -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (11/30/2009 8:10:58 PM)

Terrific little game (I must confess to having pre-ordered and buying direct from Slitherene, though!) that has been rather overlooked so far since initial release.

The only thing I would say is that folks should consider what it actually IS and not what they think it might be before purchase. It is a PC conversion of a hugely popular set of ancients quick-play table-top rules, and looks and plays exactly like that - and is not any sort of 'simulation' of ancient warfare beyond what such rules normally provide. Taken on that basis , it's an absolute hoot. The AI is competent enough I still haven't felt the need to venture online yet, but ultimately the great strengths of the title will be the multiplay, and its scenario editor.

Joram -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (11/30/2009 9:00:42 PM)

I was excited until I saw there was no army builder and certain armies are left out.  I think that's a huge oversight.  Is that still true or is that review old?  Have the spelling errors been corrected too?  A pet-peeve of mine.

I'm not bothered by the comments on the AI.  I think that's perfectly fine as the reviews say the real joy in this will be multiplayer.  But if I can't play the army I want, then I don't know if I want to get it!

Hertston -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (11/30/2009 10:06:26 PM)

An army builder is supposedly on the way. As to armies being missed out, I don't think there was any 'oversight'; there was just only so many they could include in time and on budget - expecially as they had a wargames group painting the miniatures especially for the game! It was inevitable there would only be a selection, although hopefully others will get included by either Slitherine or players in due course.

To be honest mate, if you are 'into' ancients wargaming enough to worry about playing a particular army, you need this game! [:D]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (11/30/2009 10:58:11 PM)

Does it have leaders. If so can they been killed or wounded?
quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Terrific little game (I must confess to having pre-ordered and buying direct from Slitherene, though!) that has been rather overlooked so far since initial release.

The only thing I would say is that folks should consider what it actually IS and not what they think it might be before purchase. It is a PC conversion of a hugely popular set of ancients quick-play table-top rules, and looks and plays exactly like that - and is not any sort of 'simulation' of ancient warfare beyond what such rules normally provide. Taken on that basis , it's an absolute hoot. The AI is competent enough I still haven't felt the need to venture online yet, but ultimately the great strengths of the title will be the multiplay, and its scenario editor.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (11/30/2009 11:18:53 PM)

Yes to both.

Joram -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (12/1/2009 3:17:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

An army builder is supposedly on the way. As to armies being missed out, I don't think there was any 'oversight'; there was just only so many they could include in time and on budget - expecially as they had a wargames group painting the miniatures especially for the game! It was inevitable there would only be a selection, although hopefully others will get included by either Slitherine or players in due course.

To be honest mate, if you are 'into' ancients wargaming enough to worry about playing a particular army, you need this game! [:D]

Thanks for the reply Hertston. I saw somewhere the army builder is on it's way like you said. I think if they deliver that then I'll get it (or two copies really!). Until then, I just think I'll lose interest too quickly.

Lützow -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (12/1/2009 1:52:11 PM)

Product information says 1024x600 resolution. Is that right and can it be played in a window?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (12/1/2009 2:02:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow
Product information says 1024x600 resolution. Is that right and can it be played in a window?

That's the minimum resolution, it will scale up to your desktop size. I have not tried playing it in a window and I have not seen that option, though there may be some way.

Lützow -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (12/1/2009 2:08:38 PM)

Thank you, Erik. I might consider a purchase then.

LarryP -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (12/1/2009 3:33:43 PM)

My laptop is 1366x768 and it looks flawless on it.

This is a very good game. Something of a sleeper I would say, because not a ton of flash, not very big, but what it has it does very well.

e_barkmann -> RE: Field of Glory Reviews and Previews (12/1/2009 9:07:07 PM)

thumbs up from me too.

I really like the MP system - very slick and will extend the life of the game.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI